Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Moonstone
This topic is about The Moonstone
Wilkie Collins Collection > The Moonstone - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (last edited May 01, 2015 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Here is the discussion thread for The Moonstone. Beware spoilers allowed!

Please feel free to discuss anything you wish, relating to the book. Let us know how you are getting on!

Further analysis can also be found on these sites: Sparknotes, Shmoop

Sarah I just finished today. I really enjoyed this book. I do wish that the detective had a larger part and the Miss Clack had a much smaller one. She was insufferable. Did you guys laugh when Cuff pulled out a magnifying glass? I think my favorite thing about this book was seeing where the detective genre go its bare bones. It was really wonderful.

Philina | 1562 comments Oh yes, Miss Clack was horrible! But on the other hand also horrible enough to be entertaining as a parody. I wonder if she was intended as such...

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Phil wrote: "Oh yes, Miss Clack was horrible! But on the other hand also horrible enough to be entertaining as a parody. I wonder if she was intended as such..."

From what I have read Miss Clack was intended to be that way. I read that Wilkie Collins had a special dislike for that type of person.

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments My favorite part of the book was the recreation of the scene of the party. Ezra telling Betteridge to make things exactly as they were a year before and Betteridge noting everything down in his journal and having objections like not being able to put the "burst buzzard" back in the entryway and asking if he had to put all the pins back in the carpeting in Rachel's room. Also, all the references (down to the page number) to Robinson Crusoe were just so much fun.

Philina | 1562 comments Oh yes! I could truely see Betteridge's facial expression! This was really funny!
It's a pity though, that we never discovered exactly what happened in Ezra's past. And I expected a bit more supernatural suspense of the Moonstone itself or the priests.

Sarah Does anybody else feel like reading or rereading Robinson Crusoe?

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Phil wrote: "Oh yes! I could truely see Betteridge's facial expression! This was really funny!
It's a pity though, that we never discovered exactly what happened in Ezra's past. And I expected a bit more super..."

I agree. I really wanted to know more about Ezra's past.

Philina | 1562 comments Sarah wrote: "Does anybody else feel like reading or rereading Robinson Crusoe?"

I do!

message 10: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Sarah wrote: "Does anybody else feel like reading or rereading Robinson Crusoe?"

I don't think I'll ever read Crusoe again, but I'm glad to have crossed it off my list. If you decide to read this together and want a place to discuss it, there is already a Robinson Crusoe thread under the Old School Classics folder, a bit further down the page. It says it's a spoiler thread, but it's a couple of years old and has hardly any posts, with no plot spoilers, so you could add your thoughts there if you like.

Christine | 1217 comments I finished The Moonstone tonight, and I really enjoyed it! Collins created some hilarious characters - Miss Clack in particular had me giggling as I was reading, especially after reading Blake's note at the beginning of her section stating that Rachel thought Clack's narrative was illustrative of her character. Betteredge was another very amusing character, and after reading his narratives I feel ashamed to admit that I've never read Robinson Crusoe! I guess I will have to put that one on my TBR list. :-)

This is the second of Collins' books that I've read, the first being The Woman in White. The comical characters in this book reminded me of the way I laughed at the portrayal of Mr. Fairlie in TWIW. I really do enjoy his writing. I wasn't sure I'd have time to get to The Moonstone this month, but I'm so glad I did!

Christine | 1217 comments Was anyone else surprised by the answer to the mystery? Spoiler tagging for anyone still reading: (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Christine wrote: "Was anyone else surprised by the answer to the mystery? Spoiler tagging for anyone still reading: [spoilers removed]"

Early on I thought that Godfrey AND Rachel stole it bec they were in love and Godfrey had no money. I knew that was silly when I thought of it. But I continued to think of GA on and off.

I was glad that the Indians were able to get it back to thier temple. I was rooting for the Indians.

At about 80% into the book I started to wish the book would end. It seemed longer than it needed to be. This is how I felt about Great Expectations last your when I read it. A pitfall with serially-published classics. However, I didn't feel this way about tCoMC or Les Miserables when I read these.

I loved Miss Clack and I thought Rachel a termagant.

message 14: by Christine (last edited May 25, 2015 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 1217 comments I thought Rachel was very rude and obnoxious until Franklin Blake discovered her motivation for her behavior - then her behavior was still obnoxious, but not nonsensical! I felt for Rachel and Franklin by the end.

I was also glad that the diamond was ultimately returned to India, which was were it belonged in the first place. I felt somewhat bemused at Collins' descriptions of India and the Indians who were in pursuit of the moonstone; it felt a bit like something out of an Indiana Jones film! It is always interesting to me to read how classic authors describe other cultures.

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9439 comments Mod
Sarah Anne wrote: "Does anybody else feel like reading or rereading Robinson Crusoe?"

Yes, oh yes.