Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > July 2015 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (last edited May 01, 2015 01:10AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments July 2015 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only one nomination, and one second, per member!

4. Nominations will remain open until midnight 14th May; polls will open on the 16th and run until 31st May.

message 2: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I nominate Little Women again =)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I nominate Faust: First Part

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Alissa, Little Women has come a close second place in four of the last year's polls, so it's definitely a popular choice...always a bridesmaid!

Out of interest the other runners up over the past year are Persuasion, The Awakening, Dead Souls (twice runner up) and Madame Bovary (third time runner up). Feel free to nominate any of these again, or a completely new choice!

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 44 comments The Awakening is my nomination. I have it riding around in the car with me just waiting for me to pick it up

message 6: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Pink wrote: "Alissa, Little Women has come a close second place in four of the last year's polls, so it's definitely a popular choice...always a bridesmaid!

Out of interest the other runners up over the past ..."

So many good books! It's not a bad thing to be a bridesmaid =)

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Not a bad thing at all, plus these books usually win in the end. It just happened with Beowulf after months of trying!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madame Bovary was an excellent book.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1216 comments I second The Awakening.

message 10: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Sarah, I agree, I loved Madame Bovary.

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I nominate Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac. "Balzac was an influence on innumerable writers who followed him, including Marcel Proust, Émile Zola, Charles Dickens, and Edgar Allan Poe."

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'm going to nominate The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Sarah wrote: "I nominate Faust: First Part"

Faust is great, and fun too! Seconded.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll second Return of the Native.

i had to look up a better description on Amazon because that one was more like a synopsis. It looks like a very good story.

message 16: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Leavitt I nominate The Italian by Ann Radcliffe.

message 17: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Pink wrote: "Not a bad thing at all, plus these books usually win in the end. It just happened with Beowulf after months of trying!"

It also happened with the Leopard :-) .

message 18: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Pink wrote: "I'm going to nominate The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan"

Isn't this the book the girls read in Little Women?

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Phil wrote: "Pink wrote: "I'm going to nominate The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan"

Isn't this the book the girls read in Little Women?"

I'm not sure, it's been a long while since I read Little Women.

message 21: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) Nathan wrote: "I nominate The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy."

A Thomas Hardy I haven't read, I'll second that!

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Phil wrote: "Pink wrote: "I'm going to nominate The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan"

Isn't this the book the girls read in Little Women?"

Yes it is. They would bring it up to the attic and act out little vignettes from the script of "The Pilgrim's Progress"

message 23: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments I remember Pilgrim's Progress featured heavily in Alcott's biography too, so acting out the skits may be one of the autobiographical elements of Little Women.

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Only a couple of days left to nominate, so this is your last chance to make a suggestion, or second another book. Remember ALL nominated books go through to the poll, regardless of the number of seconds, though it's good to get an idea of which books are popular.

Here's what we have at the moment.

Alissa: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868, 449 pages) Seconds: Stephanie, Alicia.

Sarah: Faust: First Part by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1787, 432 pages) Seconds: Sam.

Tom: The Awakening by Kate Chopin (1899, 195 pages) Seconds: Christine.

Janet: Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac (1833, 200 pages) No seconds.

Pink: The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (1678, 324 pages) No seconds.

Nathan: The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (1878, 448 pages) Seconds: Sarah, Elsbeth.

Bethany: The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (1797, 423 pages) No seconds.

Phil: The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal (1839, 532 pages) No seconds.

message 25: by Aritri (new)

Aritri | 19 comments I nominate Shirley by Charlotte Brontë

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 26: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) | 53 comments I second Shirley

message 27: by IB (new)

IB (hqmmx) | 75 comments I second Little Women :)

message 28: by Pink (last edited May 15, 2015 06:45AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Nominations are now closed. Polls open on the 16th May and run until the end of the month.

Link to vote is here https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Our July winner is Little Women

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.