50 books to read before you die discussion

Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War
This topic is about Birdsong

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments May group read from the 50

Christine I read this several years ago and it is one of my all time favourites. I hope you all enjoy it.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments I read this last year, although I enjoyed it initially, I found it a bit lengthy in the middle.

Buck (spectru) I have a library hold on Birdsong. I saw that they had more than one edition, so I downloaded the one that was available, only to discover that it is the stage play adaptation. So, I'm still waiting. It may be a couple of weeks.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments That's frustrating

Buck (spectru) My library request of Birdsong finally came through, but when I tried to download it there was a technical problem. The error message gave me a phone number to call Amazon.com. They are having technical issues, so they sold me the book and credited the purchase price to our account.

Amazon.com could teach a thing or two about customer service to Comcast.

Buck (spectru) Finally I've gotten started on Birdsong - finished part 1, France 1910, started part 2, France 1916. It's been kind of hard getting going on this book. Part 1 seemed a little stodgy, as if it could have been written in 1910; not Victorian, but formal. Except for the sexy parts, very sexy parts. Part 2 takes place in the trenches of WWI.

Even though I'm reading this monthly read late, it looks like I didn't miss any discussion. I guess no one else read it either.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Always interested to hear your thoughts Buck.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I've never heard of the book.

Not to be off topic, but saw this and had to share a picture I took from a local nature retreat

message 10: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "I've never heard of the book.

Not to be off topic, but saw this and had to share a picture I took from a local nature retreat

"

I had never heard of it either, Erin psijr, until i saw our group list.

Wonder what the two little arrows signify, in your picture.

Christine It was the 2nd part in the trenches that is most memorable for me because some parts were so intense.

message 12: by Buck (last edited Jun 11, 2015 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Christine wrote: "It was the 2nd part in the trenches that is most memorable for me because some parts were so intense."

I'm deep into part 2, in the trenches. Yes - more intense, and seems to have little relation, story-wise, to the first part. (I guess war does that to peoples' lives)There is no character carry-over, save the protagonist, from part 1 to part 2 and we get to know a couple of new characters.

I'm still less than halfway through and I have no idea where this is going. The parts, chapters, are labeled by year. Some of the later parts are 60 years later.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Hadn't heard of it either, but it makes all the lists (Times 100, Guardian 1000).
I preferred the first half to the trenches, but there is a disconnect in the book between the two, possibly implying the characters disconnect from himself & circumstances.

message 14: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) It's taking me a long time to read this book, it seems. Less than a hundred pages to go now.

Birdsong, A Novel of Love and War, it says.

The first chapter is crazy passionate love, and then it is war. Love is all but forgotten; war consumes everything. From the great excitement of forbidden love and lust to life and death in the trenches. Love is fleeting; war lasts forever.

The chapters of a later time don't seem to matter. They are relatively short and disconnected from the war; separated by 60 years. Maybe they will tie it all together, as a history. At this point, I don't know what the plot is. It is life interrupted by war.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments It will tie together Buck. I really don't get why it's a top book.

message 16: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Birdsong: a Novel of Love and War. It starts with a passionate love story. And then it is war; World War I, interspersed with brief episodes in the life of the main character's granddaughter, 60 years later. The main character survives the war, though not unscathed. His granddaughter, all those years later, learns the story of his love.

It is quite a literary novel; not great, but not bad.