What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA girl's grandmother marries preacher who skins and eats her

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Weber | 3 comments I read this book around 1999-2000. I don't know when it was written but it seemed like it might have been from the 60's to the 80's. it was set possibly in the 60's or before.
It was a young adult or coming of age novel about a girl who lived in a rural part of the united states. she might have been black. her grandmother marries a preacher and they seem happy. they raise a pig to butcher and the preacher names the pig after his wife. he is always preaching to the grandma in a field and he keeps saying it's almost time to butcher "delilah" (im not sure if that's the right name, but it's something like that)

one day the girl goes to visit her grandma and the preacher tells her he butchered "delilah" and made crackle bread, she asks about her grandma and he says she is sick and in bed upstairs. the girl goes upstairs and sees her grandma in bed and knows something is wrong. she takes the blanket off her grandma and it turns out that she was skinned and the crackle bread was actually made out of human flesh. I think he gets caught by the police and all the townspeople are surprised about it.

this wasn't the main event in the book, it was mostly about the girl growing up, but this just randomly happens and is really out of place seeming. it's the only thing that stuck in my head about the book.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Weber | 3 comments Bump

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Wow! That's some twist.

Do you remember anything about the cover?
Did the girl have in siblings, friends, enemies, etc?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Grace, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Grace, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.