Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > May 2015 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1866 comments Mod
Share your May good buys here.

message 2: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Went to Memorial Hospital book fair today and spent $6.00
Got several to replace lost books in Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber 204 Rosewood Lane, 6 Rainier Drive, 50 Harbor Street, and some I didn't have by Debbie Macomber Orchard Valley Brides, Sooner or Later, Starting Now. all of these were paperback. Then Comes Seduction by Mary Balogh pb, Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, Darling Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt pb, Snow Angel Cove by RaeAnne Thayne pb, An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor hb, An Irish Country Wedding by Patrick Taylor hb, Changing Habits by Debbie Macomber hb, Confessions of Catherine Medici by C. W. Gortner hb, Alibi Man by Tami Hoag hb, Simply Love by Mary Balogh hb, Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg hb, The Real Mcaw by Donna Andrews hb, The Lost Years by Mary Higgins Clark hb.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Sounds like some great books for a cheap price.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) | 99 comments Great haul Ilean!

message 5: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Tomorrow is $2.00 bag day but it is crazy then. Today was 1/2 off day most hardbacks were.50 cents trade paper also .50, paperbacks .25 cents .25 records .10 magazines. Yesterday was free to get in but everything was full price and Wednesday 2- 8 pm was $5.00 at the door and full price

message 6: by Joseph (new)

A couple of Thriftbook orders: A Shtinky Little Christmas by Patrick McDonnell Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6) by Kerry Greenwood and some finds at the library used book shelves: A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady, #2) by Gayle Callen With This Ring (Vanza, #1) by Amanda Quick I Thee Wed by Amanda Quick Affair by Amanda Quick AND 22 of the volumes from the Foods of the World set.

message 7: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments OMG, this was not a purchase but a surprise of several boxes of books that have been in the garage since we moved to this house(Aug 1999). Some of these books were from as far back as early-mid 1970's. Pb of Knickerbocker's History of New York by Washington Irving, box set of Fantasy Stories by George MacDonald, boxed set of Princess Stories by George MacDonald, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens paperback priced .75 cents, Les Miserable by Victor Hugo (I remember reading in high school 1973/74), I Claudius by Robert Graves and more.

message 8: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Castle | 105 comments I worked my church's annual yard sale over the weekend where books are 12 for $1. Naturally, I went a little crazy. Picked up too many to list but I got titles from Lisa Jackson and Karen Hooper as well as these: Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson Insatiable (Insatiable, #1) by Meg Cabot The Green Mile by Stephen King

I also got some Harlan Coven books cheap from EBay: Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4) by Harlan Coben Gone for Good by Harlan Coben Tell No One by Harlan Coben Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2) by Harlan Coben Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8) by Harlan Coben

message 9: by Amelia (last edited May 05, 2015 05:43AM) (new)

Amelia | 57 comments Men of Good Character A History of the Sheet Metal Workers Union by Ted Brake I bought this in memorial of my Uncle and my Grandfather who were both part of the union.

message 10: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Just a small trip this time around

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer (pb)
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (pb) (I've read this and own it in hb, but wanted it in pb as well)
The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (mm pb)
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella (pb)
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd (pb)

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3) by Agatha Christie I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

message 11: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Sweet, my husband ordered and the book arrived today for me "Pioneer Girl" the annotated Autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lovely pictures, pretty cover, big book!
Love you dear.

message 12: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited May 05, 2015 12:08PM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments So far this month I have picked up
Alien Proliferation (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #4) by Gini Koch Alien Diplomacy (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #5) by Gini Koch Alien vs. Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #6) by Gini Koch Alien in the House (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #7) by Gini Koch Alien Research (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #8) by Gini Koch Alterant (Belador, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

and got a few freebies as well
Rook (Allie's War, #1) by J.C. Andrijeski Never Never (Never Never, #1) by Colleen Hoover A Thyme to Die (The Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries, #6) by Joyce Lavene

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Ilean wrote: "Sweet, my husband ordered and the book arrived today for me "Pioneer Girl" the annotated Autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lovely pictures, pretty cover, big book!
Love you dear."

That is awesome :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I got five books for 1.25 from the local community yard sale -

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz The Haunting of America From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini by Joel Martin Dream Catcher (Dream Seekers, #1) by Kathleen Harrington The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Dominion by Bentley Little

Picked this up from the store when grocery shopping as an anthology:

Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5) by Maggie Shayne

message 15: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments The brown shaky truck just came by(UPS) a free book through Read it Forward Penguin Random House "The Shore" by Sara Taylor. I pre read the first chapter on line and the story grabbed me hook, line, and sinker.
Two books in one day. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

message 16: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Ilean wrote: "Sweet, my husband ordered and the book arrived today for me "Pioneer Girl" the annotated Autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lovely pictures, pretty cover, big book!
Love you dear."

ooooh cool I've been wanting to read that!

message 17: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie William and Kate A Royal Love Story by Christopher Andersen The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3) by Jasper Fforde Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4) by Jasper Fforde Tuck (King Raven, #3) by Stephen R. Lawhead

from thriftbooks. I had a copy of William & Kate a few years ago and passed it on to someone else. Since then, I've decided I want it back lol

message 18: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Pioneer Girl is one very large heavy book. I love that it has a great amount of photos, maps and illustrations. It took several months before it finally arrived. Amazon had run out and the book had to go back to print more copies.

message 19: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 57 comments Journal of Mrs Pepys by Sara George The Wind Singer (Wind on Fire trilogy, #1) by William Nicholson The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter Witchcraft A History by P.G. Maxwell-Stuart The Siren Song (Pirates of the Caribbean Jack Sparrow, #2) by Rob Kidd The Coming Storm (Pirates of the Caribbean Jack Sparrow, #1) by Rob Kidd

All for the sum of about £3.

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Kind of neat, two orders arrived, both witch-themed: Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5) by Heather Blake and The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2) by Danielle Paige

message 21: by Joseph (new)

A couple more orders arrived: Killing Weeds Volume 8 (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery ) by Joyce Lavene Bite Me (Pride, #9) by Shelly Laurenston Neverland Hook  by Joe Brusha Tales from Neverland by Various and a win of an ARC of The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins that I didn't even know I won! lol :-)

message 22: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Skintight (Showgirls #1) by Susan Andersen She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb Thermal Image London's Burning - and This Time It's Arson by Pat O'Keeffe Quentins by Maeve Binchy Slave to Love  by Rebecca Campbell Slave to Love  by Rebecca Campbell Empire Falls by Richard Russo The Lost Army Of Cambyses by Paul Sussman The Lost Army Of Cambyses by Paul Sussman For Edgar by Sheldon Rusch Everything After by Sharon Pywell Wide Eyed by Ruaridh Nicoll The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1) by Jack Kerley In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett, #6) by C.J. Box In the Forest by Edna O'Brien In the Forest by Edna O'Brien The Last of the Honky-Tonk Angels by Marsha Moyer I went to the local public library and bought these books......now to read them!

message 23: by Cammie (last edited May 26, 2015 07:20PM) (new)

Cammie | 108 comments May 2015 purchases

Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii by Robin Jones Gunn From the Start (Walker Family, #1) by Melissa Tagg Sabotaged (Alaskan Courage #5) by Dani Pettrey My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven, #4) by Susan May Warren Love Finds You in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin by Pamela S. Meyers Love Finds You in Groom, Texas by Janice Hanna Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn by Lori Benton A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer Making Your Mind Up by Jill Mansell

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Got this today from Walmart - Those Jensen Boys! by William W. Johnstone

message 25: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A So my Mother's Day gift was $100 to spend on books.. I spent $50 today in three different bookstores and i'll spend the rest online tonight :) Here's what I got so far:

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (pb)
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (pb)
The Wife by Meg Wolitzer (pb)
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (pb)
Mules and Men by Zora Neale Hurston (pb)
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt (pb)
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes (pb)
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (pb)
This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (pb)
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (pb) (I own a different edition of this but this edition matched my other two Hurston books)
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (pb)
The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner (pb)
Walden by Henry D. Thoreau (pb)
How to be both by Ali Smith (pb)
Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman (pb)
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (mm pb)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (mm pb)

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin The Wife by Meg Wolitzer People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks Mules and Men by Zora Neale Hurston The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt I Am Pilgrim (Pilgrim, #1) by Terry Hayes The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner Walden by Henry David Thoreau How to be both by Ali Smith Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

message 26: by Charles (new)

Charles (cbloky) | 49 comments Brigid history.mystery,and magick of the Celtic Goddess by Courtney Weber

message 27: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments Trying to incorporate "delayed gratification" for buying books in the month of May. We will see how far I make it!

message 28: by Joseph (last edited May 13, 2015 08:08PM) (new)

Went to Anderson's and got a copy of The Last Bookaneer and got it signed by Matthew Pearl.

message 29: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 13, 2015 08:55PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Bought
Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4) by Shirley Damsgaard

Also my friend loaned me these!
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Horns by Joe Hill

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Joseph wrote: "Went to Anderson's and got a copy of The Last Bookaneer and got it signed by Matthew Pearl."

Nice!

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Horton-Newton (newliz) | 6 comments Hey Erin, I've read "Horns". I loved it. A strange and compelling book.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Horton-Newton (newliz) | 6 comments Samantha wrote: "So my Mother's Day gift was $100 to spend on books.. I spent $50 today in three different bookstores and i'll spend the rest online tonight :) Here's what I got so far:

[book:The Little Stranger|..."

You got some good books there. Now that's a "happy" Mother's Day!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Elizabeth wrote: "Hey Erin, I've read "Horns". I loved it. A strange and compelling book."

The movie was excellent, surprised me.
My friend told me the novel is quite different, so I shall see. :)

message 34: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Hey Erin, I've read "Horns". I loved it. A strange and compelling book."

The movie was excellent, surprised me.
My friend told me the novel is quite different, so I shall see. :)"

I hope you like it! I didn't think the movie was super-different, but I do like the book better :)

message 35: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2) by Mike Mullin Sunrise (Ashfall, #3) by Mike Mullin
from eBay this morning! Can't wait til they all get here! <3

message 36: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A From the used bookstore today:

Waiting by Ha Jin (pb)
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (pb)

Waiting by Ha Jin Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

message 37: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie from the library bookshop this afternoon, not even $10 for everything

Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4) by Thomas Harris Omerta by Mario Puzo The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) by Thomas Harris Sharpe's Trafalgar (Sharpe, #4) by Bernard Cornwell Sharpe's Triumph (Sharpe, #2) by Bernard Cornwell Sharpe's Fortress (Sharpe, #3) by Bernard Cornwell Holes (Holes, #1) by Louis Sachar The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) by Louisa May Alcott Seabiscuit An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand The Irish Game by Matthew Hart

message 38: by Joseph (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "from the library bookshop this afternoon."

I did pretty good myself at the library today: Deep Waters by Jayne Ann Krentz Lost and Found by Jayne Ann Krentz Taltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3) by Anne Rice The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8) by Simon R. Green Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1) by Brian Jacques Ticket to Ride (Sam McCain, #8) by Ed Gorman Wild Wheels (Hardy Boys Casefiles, #104) by Franklin W. Dixon Pure Evil (Hardy Boys Casefiles, #97) by Franklin W. Dixon The World Of Michelangelo, 1475–1564 by Robert Coughlan The World Of Vermeer, 1632 1675 by Hans Koningsberger

message 39: by Lára (new)

message 40: by Joy (new)

Joy I went to Target this past weekend and Picked up:
"Paper Towns" John Green
"The Rosie Project " Graeme Simsion
"Hollow City" Ransom Riggs
"What I Thought was True" Huntley Fitzpatrick
"The Pearl that Broke its Shell " Nadia Hashimi

And I was reminded why I buy my books used at goodwill, Amazon or book outlet..... Very expensive 5 books!! They're so pretty when they're brand new!

message 41: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Joy wrote: "I went to Target this past weekend and Picked up:
"Paper Towns" John Green
"The Rosie Project " Graeme Simsion
"Hollow City" Ransom Riggs
"What I Thought was True" Huntley Fitzpatrick
"The Pearl t..."

The Rosie Project was really great!

message 42: by Joy (new)

Joy I've heard it's amazing! I can't wait!!

message 43: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE not a purchase but a freebee from Poisoned Pen Press "Bye, Bye Love by K. J. Larsen. Next on my TBR list!
Thank you Poisoned Pen Press.

message 44: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments The brown shaky truck just dropped off a package!(UPS). I got two free books from Marissa Sangiacomo/Hachette NYC book give away. Two books, "The Calamity Janes-Cassie and Karen by Sherryl Woods and "Wedding Bells in Christmas" by Debbie Mason. What a sweet bookish day.

message 46: by Ashley Marie (last edited May 24, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

message 48: by Thom (new)

message 49: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A I picked up one from the bookstore and one online

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (paperback)
The Bees by Laline Paull (paperback)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt The Bees by Laline Paull

message 50: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A My last trip for probably a little while unless I start walking to the bookstore, which is a big possibility lol, but only found 3 today :(

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story by John Berendt (paperback)
The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates (paperback)
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman (paperback)

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil A Savannah Story by John Berendt The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman

« previous 1