Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Saying Hi

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Billy (new)

Billy Young | 18 comments Just thought that there should be somewhere for us newbies to say hello. So here is me saying hi, I'm Billy hope i'm not standing on any toes by starting this post. If there is somewhere to to this just move this over there and let me know how much I put my foot in it, hehehe:D

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44207 comments Mod
Welcome to GoodReads. :)

message 3: by alison (last edited Apr 14, 2008 03:16PM) (new)

alison | 5 comments As a newbie librarian, I'd also just like to say:
hi everybody!
hope i'll be a help.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Welcome. :)

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriepie) | 10 comments Welcome aboard! :)

I'm fairly new myself, by about ummmm... a month maybe, give or take, but never took the time to say hi or introduce myself either. :P

message 6: by Mysterious (new)

Mysterious | 1 comments Waves hello as well. I joined sometime last month after clicking on someone else's Good Reads link.

Since the site made it so easy to import and have all my books - read, unread and everything else in between -just go to the proper shelves when I uploaded, how could I not join ?!

Being able to search my shelves was also a big plus for me.

message 7: by Billy (new)

Billy Young | 18 comments Hi to you all I'm my post is bring us newbies out of hiding to say hello. It's good to meet you all.:D

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyhageman) | 57 comments Hi, I'm new as well - just joined the librarian group yesterday! Nice to meet you all.

message 9: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 1 comments I'm hoping someone can help me. I was recently informed that my profile is set to "private" in spite of the fact that I have never utilized that setting. Now I am unable to reset it so that anyone can view my profile. Does anyone have any suggestions?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

At the top of the page, select my account. On the right, next to my preferences, select edit. On the third line, be sure the radio button next to Allow my profile to be viewed by: is on anyone.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 81 comments Hi!

Nice to meet you all. I'm a new librian since beginning of May.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Welcome, Anna. :)

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 81 comments Thanx. Hope I will do well as a librarian.

message 14: by 123 (new)

123 123 | 1 comments HI.

I have been a librarian for sometime but I just joined this group

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Welcome. :)

message 16: by Joro (new)

Joro | 1 comments Hi, all! Just dropping by to greet the librarians as I myself just joined the group.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone!

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

*waves hello*

message 19: by Don (new)

Don (donfoolery) | 1 comments Hi all! I took the plunge and applied to be a librarian, mostly to clean up some of the errors I spotted on my book lists and add covers where there were none. Hopefully, I can be of more use ;). Thanks for having me.

message 20: by edifanob (new)

edifanob | 11 comments Hi all,

I joined the group because I had problems with combined editions and Lisa told me to post it here.

I really appreciate the work ouf our group.

Anyway I would like to offer my help.
I'm a native German. So in case you have a problem e.g. combining English editions with German editions
please let me know when I can do something for you.

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Good, we need more foreign-language-speaking librarians! :)

message 22: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments I'm new to this group (just joined last night!), so thought I'd take this opportunity to say hello. (Besides being a Goodreads librarian, I'm a real-life librarian as well.) One big reason why I joined this group was to get some help in identifying a couple of books I read years ago, but can't remember either the author/ editor or the title. I'd like to be able to put them on my read shelf; and I figured no group would be better qualified to help me than this one.

One of the books was a paperback novel, which I read sometime in the 1960s; so I'd say it was published in the 50s or 60s. It was a cross between a police procedural and a vampire novel; in it, the police investigate the murder of a young prostitute, but increasingly find clues that suggest they're dealing with a vampire --a real one. (The vampire's name was Sebastian Paulier, and his victim was named Sophie Matlack; I guess I can recall those names because they were unusual.)

The other book is an anthology of scary stories, and was published during the years 1988-91, when I was at a public library in Indiana. (It was reviewed either in Library Journal or Booklist or both, but I don't have access to back issues that far back; and it doesn't appear to have been indexed in Short Story Index. I can't even check the catalog of the library in Indiana; their OPAC is off line!) Anyway, some of the stories included are Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's "Madam Crowl's Ghost," H. P. Lovecraft's "The Statement of Randolph Carter," Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher," and M. R. James' "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad."

If any of you can point me to a title or author/ editor for these two books, I'll be grateful!

message 23: by ChloeLeeNH (new)

ChloeLeeNH | 1 comments Saying hi as well... I am having a lot of fun here. A lot of the authors I read did not have any type of information or direct website links to their sites. So I have been happily filling in the information there. :)

Hope everyone is well!

Chloe

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Werner, neither of those rings a bell for me. You might try the What's the name of that book? group

message 25: by Billy (new)

Billy Young | 18 comments It's getting better every day now we can say we're truly an international library :D

message 26: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Well, the first book turned out to be Progeny of the Adder by Leslie H. Whitten; a big thanks to Christine for identifying it for me! (She noted that it's available on Amazon, and when I checked there I recognized the cover art right away --it's amazing what a person can remember after all that time.) Rivka, I'll check the group you mentioned for the anthology title, and thanks for the suggestion.

message 27: by Billy (new)

Billy Young | 18 comments Hi Edifanob, sounds like you could be very useful to the library, its great to meet you :D

message 28: by edifanob (new)

edifanob | 11 comments Hi Billy, thank you very much. I hope to be useful.

At the moment I struggle with my time management :-)
That means I try to integrate Goodreads into my life. Definitely I didn't sleep enough during the past weeks (maximum 5 hours per day). I need to change this.....

message 29: by Nari (new)

Nari (thenovelworld) | 1 comments Hi everyone,

I'm also new to the group and a soon to be real life librarian (just waiting for those interview calls to start rushing in), and I thought this group seemed perfect for me. I can't wait to get started! Everyone seems really friendly and helpful.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lebishop13) | 1 comments Hi everyone!!

I'm so glad I decided to get librarian status! I was just wondering if anyone knows how to check up on my total number of edits...its not that big of a deal...but if anyone knows...that'd be great!

Thanks!

message 31: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If you make enough, you'll end up on this list.

Welcome! :)