Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Ideas to Pique the Interest of Readers

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments I get some decent traffic on my author blog, but I'm looking to make it a little livelier. Would something like "Jenycka's sex tip of the day" be fun, or would that make it seem like I don't take myself seriously? Considering what I write, it's not like the subject matter would be out of place, but do y'all think it would take away from things overall or add to them?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Depends. Are they going to be useful or bizarre and slightly dangerous like the Cosmo sex tips?
;)

Actually, given your genre, it could be fun even if it was a little tongue-in-cheek... or tongue in wherever...

message 3: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments I was thinking about making some real (and properly safe) and some fun and tongue in cheek references to the books, like " After killing trolls with your lovers, doggy- style intercourse can be very pleasurable."

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I like that!

message 5: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments That sounds great! Now I need a pun on hump day....

message 6: by Jenycka (last edited May 01, 2015 02:26AM) (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments So I started a Tumblr feed called "Sex Tips from an Erotic Romance Author." I'll be reposting the tips to my blog.
http://jenyckawolfe.tumblr.com/
But, as a friend pointed out, apparently Tumblr is where all the perverts hang out, and if I'm being honest, that's a big part of my target audience.

So, Tip # 1 - After killing trolls with your hunky warrior lovers, the best position for celebration sex is doggy-style.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim I usually don't resort to "sex sells" type of advertising/promotion, but I kinda had to go that route with the release of my new novel. It definitely got some attention. What I did was...well here, feel free to take a look and you'll see what I'm talking about...

http://theworkingscreenwriter.blogspo...

message 8: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Jenycka wrote: "That sounds great! Now I need a pun on hump day...."

Isn't that already a pun? ;-)

Can you link Tip #1? Not sure what Tumblr allows, bit linking it directly to your blog, might be a good idea.

message 9: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Jenycka wrote: "So, Tip # 1 - After killing trolls with your hunky warrior lovers, the best position for celebration sex is doggy-style."

Trolls are actually the best monster for making sweet love to. They regenerate, you know.

message 10: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Dark | 19 comments One hump or two ...

Sounds like a funny read, sign me up.

message 11: by H.O. (new)

H.O. Tanager (hotanager) | 18 comments Finally got a tumblr so I could follow this thread. What I would love to see is the advice, followed by an example of it occurring. Like, name of book, characters, and either a funny quote that the character said about it or a pretend rating.

No pressure! It is hilarious as it is! I just get visions.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Anything to get your followers involved and feel like their voice matters would be my suggestion - like little ways to interact or appeal.

Maybe "ask a character a question" and post answers, if that's the sort of book you have.

You could also say what Hogwarts House or Faction from Divergent they would be in, if maybe you do YA or it's that kind of crowd who read your blog.

Just a couple suggestions :D

message 13: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments I've linked it through on a blog post. Still trying to figure out how to permanently do a link on the side of the blog.

http://jenyckawolfe.blogspot.ca/2015/...

message 14: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments H.O. wrote: "Finally got a tumblr so I could follow this thread. What I would love to see is the advice, followed by an example of it occurring. Like, name of book, characters, and either a funny quote that the character said about it or a pretend rating.

No pressure! It is hilarious as it is! I just get visions. "

So you think I should post snippets of the actual scenes? I've hashtagged the book title after each tip, so people know which book it comes from.

message 15: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Courtney wrote: "Anything to get your followers involved and feel like their voice matters would be my suggestion - like little ways to interact or appeal.

Maybe "ask a character a question" and post answers, if t..."

Do you mean I should let the readers ask the characters questions? I'm cool with that. I doubt I'd ask about Divergent factions and stuff. I don't know how much crossover there is in readership between YA and my stuff. And I really don't want people under 18 looking at the blog because there's something about Divergent on it. Though I suppose I'm tame compared to some of the Harry Potter fanfic out there...

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments Yeah, like they could ask the protagonist something and get an answer in his-or-her own words, so long as it doesn't spoil anything for the book :D

message 17: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Courtney wrote: "Yeah, like they could ask the protagonist something and get an answer in his-or-her own words, so long as it doesn't spoil anything for the book :D"

That could be kind of fun. Thanks for the idea!

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments No problem :D

message 19: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Jenycka wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Yeah, like they could ask the protagonist something and get an answer in his-or-her own words, so long as it doesn't spoil anything for the book :D"

That could be kind of fun. Tha..."

Oh, I'd just love to hear some of your characters answer questions! (You might need an interlocutor to interject: "What my esteemed colleague is trying to convey, in his uniquely earthly and forthright manner is--" "Shaddup, you!"). Sorry -- got a bit carried away there. ;-)

message 20: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Owen wrote: "Oh, I'd just love to hear some of your characters answer questions! (You might need an interlocutor to interject: "What my esteemed colleague is trying to convey, in his uniquely earthly and forthright manner is--" "Shaddup, you!"). Sorry -- got a bit carried away there. ;-) "

OK, I'll open that up. Is there a way to let people fill something in right on the blog (aside from in the comment section?)

message 21: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Jenycka wrote: "OK, I'll open that up. Is there a way to let people fill something in right on the blog (aside from in the comment section?)"

Do you mean in an interactive sense? Or submitting a question to you? I suspect Blogger and Tumblr are pretty restrictive as to the scripting they support. Tumblr's "ask" feature is basically like a PM here on GR, isn't it?

message 22: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Turns out Blogger has a contact form! Perfect!

message 23: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Micah wrote: "Jenycka wrote: "So, Tip # 1 - After killing trolls with your hunky warrior lovers, the best position for celebration sex is doggy-style."

Trolls are actually the best monster for making sweet love..."

Well, these particular trolls were underage, so it would have been a federal felony to make sweet love to them.

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 138 comments I'm going to have to remember this "ask a character a question" thing after I finish my books - they would all sound like old-timey ghosts, probably rhyme or some play on words and would be rubbish at anything pop culture.

I think hilarity would ensure lol

message 25: by H.O. (new)

H.O. Tanager (hotanager) | 18 comments Just to add dimension, so that each one would be a complete standalone short form project - it is great as a tip related to a book, but it could be a mini-project with a tip, a character, and a character blurb or quote. Like each could almost be a trading card? A little like the American Voices segment of the Onion, but just one character and quote cited from and pointing to your book. Would translate great to Pinterest if you have pictures of your characters.

Maybe because of the trolls I skipped straight to Chocolate Frog cards and Magic the Gathering? ;)

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoice...

message 26: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments I have character profiles on my blog but good idea putting them on Pinterest!

message 27: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Jenycka wrote: "Well, these particular trolls were underage, so it would have been a federal felony to make sweet love to them..."

Underage trolls. Those are the worst. They're all over the internet.

message 28: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
I suggest the name 'Sunday Squirts' for this. :)

I am curious as to what works as well.

I have a website and post Flash Fiction from my writer's group but was considering doing Slash Flash Fiction based on reader's suggestions for pairings.

I started a Twitter feed and the character from my book that is really into #SocialMedia instantly took it over and is now 'running it'.

On my facebook page I post the blog post artwork and try to make people win prizes if they can pictionary the title.

Getting some hits, but not many yet. I suspect releasing my book will help with that as well though.