Classic Trash discussion

Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1)
This topic is about Witch World
Witch World > Witch World: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please.

Cheryl | 906 comments I got the book from inter-library loan and picked it up last night. Fantasy is the genre I have the most trouble getting into. I am giving this book a try, because I do want to expand my reading horizons. I'll be interested to see what fantasy lovers think of the book. Sometimes I try a fantasy novel and don't like it but wonder if it's because I don't like fantasy or because it just was a poorly written book. So I am looking forward to reading other people's comments.

I like fantasy, but I haven't read this one yet. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I was worried about finding this book, but I remembered I had a stash of my grandfather's sci fi and fantsy books, and of course this was in it. He had quite a few Andre Norton (who was a lady btw) books in his collection, so he must have been really into her. He died when I was 10, so every time I read one of his books I think about him.

Cheryl | 906 comments That is so great, Adelaide, that you have your grandfather's books. It'll make the reading a special experience for you.

I am sticking with the book, so far. It is plot centered, not character centered, with action scenes and fighting. I've always had trouble reading battle scenes, probably because I want to read them faster than my mind can process the info. This time I am forcing myself to slow down, so I can appreciate the action better.

Cheryl | 906 comments I am enjoying part 2, Venture of Verlaine, more than part 1. This section does have more character development. I like Loyse and am interested to see what happens to her.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments I'm waiting to get done with 3001 Space Odyssey first. I didn't realize there was such a history to the series until I wiki'd it. Looks like several different authors contributed to the series - love that! I might have to read more than one.

Cheryl | 906 comments Well,I got halfway through it. This book is just not for me. I hope others read it, though. I am interested to see what others think of it.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments Yeah not loving this as much as I hoped. The language is killing me... Only a little more to go....

Cheryl | 906 comments Sarah wrote: "Yeah not loving this as much as I hoped. The language is killing me... Only a little more to go...."

So it's not just me. My eyes would glaze over after awhile, so then I'd try to just skim-read the book. Then I gave up.

I'm about 50 pages in. I'm enjoying it, but bored with the battle. I am probably not going to like it as much as I hoped either. But, not hating it. Yet.

Cheryl | 906 comments So, what fantasy novels would you recommend for someone like me to try? Something where the writing style is different from this book (less formal dialogue)?

Cheryl wrote: "So, what fantasy novels would you recommend for someone like me to try? Something where the writing style is different from this book (less formal dialogue)?"

I know you really love character-driven books, so you might really enjoy the The Goblin Emperor. It's all character and court intrigue. It's been nominated for a ton of awards. I also recently loved City of Stairs and A Darker Shade of Magic. These are very recent and can be read as stand alone novels.

Cheryl | 906 comments Thanks, Adelaide! I was trying to remember fantasy novels I read and liked. There aren't many. I also prefer stand-alone books, as opposed to a series. Not many of those in Fantasy, I guess. Court intrigue is good. I've read the first Game of Thrones book and liked it, but not sure I want to read more. (Looks like more battles in book two - not a favorite.) I read book 1 and half of book 2 of The Lord of the Rings. I stopped because of the many battle scenes in book 2. (I did see all of the films. Battles are better to watch than read.)

I am about half way through. The first part was fine until the battle stuff started and then my eyes started to glaze over. However, I really enjoyed the second part about Loyse. We're back to Simon again, so we'll see.

Cheryl | 906 comments Adelaide wrote: "I am about half way through. The first part was fine until the battle stuff started and then my eyes started to glaze over. However, I really enjoyed the second part about Loyse. We're back to Simo..."

I liked Loyse, too. I just couldn't get into the parts with Simon.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments I really liked Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea (same gal who wrote Lathe of Heaven). Also, Peter S. Beagle's the Last Unicorn is a fantastic read.

Cheryl | 906 comments Thanks, Sarah! I will look for these at my library.