ONTD Book Club discussion

Books This Year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
I miss book discussions, y'all.

How has your reading been going this year?

How many books have you read so far?

Anything good? Anything new? Anything horrible?

message 2: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments My reading has been terrible this year. My anxiety and depression have been getting in the way of my focus. It probably doesn't help that all the books I choose are indicative of my mental health, also.

So, happy recommendations please?

message 3: by Wigs (last edited Apr 30, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

As for myself, I've read five so far. Which is less than usual but fuggin Nintendo released Pokemon Shuffle and that took all my reading time away but I've finally stopped being interested in that.

Notably I finally caught up completely in A Song of Ice and Fire by reading A Dance with Dragons which I'm glad I did now that the show is going nuts.

Worst book I've read so far is When She Woke, I wish I could get that time back, guhhhh.

Newest thing I read this year was Rooms by Lauren oliver. It was okay, wasn't special enough to rec though. *shruggggggg*

message 4: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments I did read All Quiet on the Western Front and The Bell Jar; both are pretty fantastic reads. But like I said, not exactly uplifting or helpful when I'm in a deep hole.

message 5: by Wigs (last edited Apr 30, 2015 04:45PM) (new)

Blackicebooks wrote: "My reading has been terrible this year. My anxiety and depression have been getting in the way of my focus. It probably doesn't help that all the books I choose are indicative of my mental health, ..."

Oh I'm sorry hon. I know how that can be, and I definitely know what you mean about picking books that feel like that. I tend to read darker stuff too so it's hard for me to find anything in my recently read stuff that doesn't involve death, but here's something short and nice I really liked that's free on Amazon, it's a sweet little lesbian mythical story that might entertain for an hour or less, as far as I remember it's a happy story:

http://www.amazon.com/Witch-Sea-Sarah...

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 45 comments Mod
Blackicebooks wrote: "My reading has been terrible this year. My anxiety and depression have been getting in the way of my focus. It probably doesn't help that all the books I choose are indicative of my mental health, ..."

I get you. I've been struggling with anger and anxiety so my reading has been pretty limited. What little I've read hasn't been that good except maybe one.

I second the need for happy recs.

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments i've read 20 books so far this year, which is generally about right for me.

Sadly, i just reviewed my list and with the exception of Yes Please NONE of them i would qualify as 'happy.' I read a couple of great ones though - including Mr. Kiss and Tell and So Much Pretty.

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments Also, i just looked at my 2014 books and have no 'happy' recs out of that either. Apparently i like to read mysterys and depressing shit.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee (mlsredhousereviews) | 23 comments Blackicebooks wrote: "My reading has been terrible this year. My anxiety and depression have been getting in the way of my focus. It probably doesn't help that all the books I choose are indicative of my mental health, ..."

I'd say that happiest book I've read in the past year was If You Ask Me by Betty White.

message 10: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments I think I would love Betty White's book. Maybe I'll try to pick it up soon. I need a couple of laughs and smiles.

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments OK, so i'm almost done with I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star and i have to say i think it is pretty great and definitely upbeat. Judy Greer seems so cool, i would love to be her friend!

message 12: by Ashleah (new)

Ashleah (flouting) I am trying to read 60 books this year, and so far am on schedule with 23. I recently read "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" and really, really loved that. I think I'm in the minority by being disappointed by "A Little Life".

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie LGW (xstephanielgwx) | 26 comments Mr. Mercedes is apparently the start of a trilogy...I have NO idea how he's going to top that though. And I concur re: The Looking Glass Wars.

I just finished The Girl on the Train. It was...kind of underwhelming. Fast, easy, but not quite as intense as I wanted it to be, apparently.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen (plainandlittle) | 2 comments I'm trying to read 20 books this year and apparently I'm 4 books behind schedule, lol.

I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo, which I'm really enjoying but am moving through slowly, and Annals of the Former World, a book on geology in North America. The other two books I read were Gone Girl and Far from the Madding Crowd. Thankfully I've liked everything I've read so far!

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie LGW (xstephanielgwx) | 26 comments I just read Far from the Maddening Crowd too! I'm working through a list of "these are the books you SHOULD read" or something like that. lol

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee (mlsredhousereviews) | 23 comments I upped my goal from 35 books to 40.

message 17: by Wigs (new)

I just read Hyperbole and a Half yesterday and I loved it sooooo much and also related a little too much than I would like to, but it helps to read about other people's depression since it can be hard to talk about it with people in your irl life.

Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

message 18: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments Aw, I love Hyperbole and a Half.

message 19: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Hey guys.

It's been a pretty good reading year for me. First time I've dedicated my free time to reading for about 3 years thanks to university. Favourite books I've read so far are: Wuthering Heights, Gone Girl, Jane Eyre, The Road and The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic. Three of them were re-reads.

Currently reading Dracula which is dragging SO BAD.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 17 comments I'm almost at 20 books read this year, whooooo! I promised my mom I would read Wolf Hall soon, but at the moment I'm looking for more good classics. I just finished 'Persuasion' by Jane Austen, and I've started 'Tess of the D'Ubervilles', which I'm really enjoying, but it's so hard with classics. I find soooo many of them to be too dry and slow. But I need to branch out from fantasy this year haha

message 21: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments Stick it out with both Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Dracula, they both are great!

Thomas Hardy is one of my favorite authors!

message 22: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Dracula is actually getting a little better, thank God.

@Susan

The BBC miniseries of Tess of the D'Urbervilles is brilliant. Highly recommend.

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Amira wrote: "Hey guys.

It's been a pretty good reading year for me. First time I've dedicated my free time to reading for about 3 years thanks to university. Favourite books I've read so far are: Wuthering Hei..."

I just re-read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre too. Such wonderful books.

message 24: by Jess (last edited May 15, 2015 09:08PM) (new)

I feel kind of shitty for letting the group slide... my health had gotten so out of hand, it was almost impossible for me to get on the laptop at all. I'm dealing with allll kinds of health issues, but thankfully, I finally have insurance and a great team of doctors at Duke -- who not only know what I have (I usually have to explain and spell it out for doctors), but they have cardiologists who specialize in it.

So if you guys are up for it, we can revive!

First, I'll fill you in on my reading goals. Like I said, I'm really sick, I have a lot of reading time. My goal is to read 110 books this year. I'm at 27 now. https://www.goodreads.com/user_challe... Only 13 behind schedule.

I'm also doing a loose A-Z author challenge. I started in March with "A" and am on "C" now. I don't really have any set rules, I'm just trying to read things that I've wanted to read or reread for ages. It is also giving me an excuse to delete random shit I'll never read from my kindle.

Best first reads of the year so far:

I Remember You A Ghost Story by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir
The Day Is Dark A Thriller by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

Best rereads of the year so far:
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden
The Griffin and Sabine Trilogy Griffin and Sabine, The Golden Mean, Sabine's Notebook (3 Vols. In Slipcase) by Nick Bantock
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

Meh books of the year: Anything by Meg Abbot. Most of the non-dystopian YA I've read has been pure shit. I found the Judy Greer book mostly disappointing too. Same with NPH's.

The only book I've started and quit on this year:
Landline by Rainbow Rowell So effing bad, I couldn't get beyond page 50. I rarely quit books...

message 25: by Z (new)

Z (ladybellatrix) I've been so bad with reading this year. Currently reading The Martian, but given it's written as 'logs' it can get tedious after a while, so I keep going away and coming back.

message 26: by Z (new)

Z (ladybellatrix) Stephanie wrote: "I just read Far from the Maddening Crowd too! I'm working through a list of "these are the books you SHOULD read" or something like that. lol"

I did that a few years ago, it was pretty good actually, but I still have a ton more I need to get to.

message 27: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments I've read ten books this year. Nothing amazing but I enjoyed Seanan McGuire's Pocket Apocalypse. I do feel like I've mostly read crap so far though.

message 28: by Christy (new)

Christy (cmh85) | 27 comments I only challenged myself to 15 books this year and I'm a book behind! (The Terror ate up months haha but it was GREAT). Hopefully I can still get it done.

message 29: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (cblace) | 35 comments I challenged myself to 30 books this year, down from 40 last year and I'm still wayyyy behind. I've only read 7, and the majority of those were for school. I really miss reading for pleasure but I've had a hard time being motivated. I'm gonna try to get back on the horse this summer with my new free time.

message 30: by Liesl (new)

Liesl (lizthefeminist3) | 2 comments I had challenged myself to read 20 this year but had to go down because of school. Now that I am done, I can read as much as I lie. What has changed is that I take my time rather than speed read through books. If I finish my goal early then I will raise it to maybe 20 again.

Booksandbooksandbooks | 1 comments Tampa by Alyssa Nutting is the most shocking depiction of female/ student sex abuse. The main character is an unrepentant socipath, but its a great insight into why these women do that.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Up to 31 books for the year, but still 14 behind. I need to read this pile of quickie books next to my bed.

message 33: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Bumpity Bump!

So, it's halfway through the year. What's everybody's Top 3 books so far? Let's not count re-reads because that's boring.

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (5/5)
2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (4/5)
3. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (4/5)

message 34: by Wigs (new)

Omg I really wanna answer your question but I've read only 7 books and I'm so fucking behind. I will address this again in the future because I love top lists! So far I feel like I can say that Hyperbole and Half will probably be in it but I'm not sure about what else I've read so far.

My badge thing says I am 4 books behind schedule of my meager 25 book goal and I am a flop.

message 36: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Wigs wrote: "Omg I really wanna answer your question but I've read only 7 books and I'm so fucking behind. I will address this again in the future because I love top lists! So far I feel like I can say that Hyp..."

LMAO @ that gif!

Were any of those 7 books 5 star reads at least?

I've read more 2 star books than anything else this year *crying @ my flop taste*

message 37: by Wigs (new)

Yes so I guess I can say this right now:

1. Hyperbole and a Half
2. A Dance with Dragons

those were my five stars, and after that I only have one 4 star so I guess it follows that

3. Rooms

(however I think I like the book I'm reading right now better than that.)

I haven't read enough books to get a proper gauge. I need to hit the gas pedal though because I have so many I want to read!! I want to jump in to The Secret History discussion!

message 38: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments i also have read a bunch of flop books so far this year but my top 3 would be:
1. So Much Pretty (5/5)
2. Mr. Kiss and Tell (5/5)
3. The Handmaid's Tale (5/5)

Those are the only 5 star books i have read this year.

message 39: by Idris (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
I haven't read as many books this year as planned but of those I did read, I enjoyed Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper, The Selection by Kiera Cass and I am currently enjoying The Raven Boys by Maggie Steifvater.

I read Hyperbole and a Half when it first came out last year(?) and enjoyed it a lot.

message 40: by Lea (new)

Lea This is the first year I've ever done the Goodreads challenge thing, cause I was always afraid I wouldn't make my goal and feel bad about it. But for a pretty hefty goal (52) I'm doing great! 8 books ahead of schedule! (that's what unemployement will do I guess)

My top 3 so far are:

1. Uprooted
2. Jane Eyre
3 (TIE). Crazy Rich Asians / The Chocolate Temptation

message 41: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments I have got to read Uprooted. Saw there was an ONTD post about it recently too.

message 42: by Idris (new)

I'm excited to get to Crazy Rich Asians and Uprooted as soon as possible. I also wants to read Pride & Prejudice all the way through for the first time. oh, and Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall. She and I are in a shared writers chat on Twitter and it was free on KindleFirst, so I'm thinking it's time to go for it.

message 43: by Lea (new)

Lea ohhh Pride and Prejudice. So good. Have you read Persuasion yet, Idris? Other than P&P it's my favourite Austen novel.

message 44: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyjthomas) | 5 comments I've read 57 books so far and so many have been so great but I guess my top 3 would be:

1. The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore
2. Deathless by Cathrynne Valente
3. Feed by Mira Grant

message 45: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyjthomas) | 5 comments I've read 57 books so far and so many have been so great but I guess my top 3 would be:

3. Feed by Mira Grant

message 46: by Langouste (new)

Langouste | 14 comments I've read 62 books this year so far, but I only have 3 that I've rated as 5 stars:

1. Gone Girl
2. Midnight in Austenland (I don't know why I loved this one so much, but I did)
3. The Paper Magician

message 47: by Idris (new)

Molly wrote: "I've read 57 books so far and so many have been so great but I guess my top 3 would be:

3. Feed by Mira Grant"

I tried to get into Feed, but I had to put it down. I loved it in theory. The depth it was written with was very impressive. The world post-zombie infection was fascinating and was a awesome commentary on social media obsession, but it just wasn't the sort of zombie novel I was expecting. Very impressive though.

I've been dying to read the Secret History of Wonder Woman, so I need to make sure that's on my To Read shelf.

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments I've been having a flop year. The Buried Giant killed my reading momentum and I've read like 10 books this year.

Best book I've read so far was Wench. It's beautifully written but an emotionally hard read.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments I wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share and this seemed like the right place. I just started reading The Ghost Network by Catie Disabato and there was a casual reference to ONTD on page 23

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments I wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share and this seemed like the right place. I just started reading The Ghost Network by Catie Disabato and there was a casual reference to ONTD on page 23

« previous 1