Literary Horror discussion

Malpertuis
This topic is about Malpertuis
Monthly Reads > May 2015 Monthly LH Read: Malpertuis

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments We're busy celebrating Walpurgisnacht here at the Carter shanty but I still found time to start a thread for the May 2015 Literary Horror book: Malpertuis by Jean Ray. I still don't have a copy so don't spoil it for me.

message 2: by Char (new) - added it

Char I can't participate in May's read, but I hope everyone enjoyed it!

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 547 comments Stuff about Jean Ray at findgrave.com:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg....

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I'm still waiting impatiently for my copy to arrive.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 547 comments I've read the first 40 pages of the book, but I don't have a good idea what its about.

message 6: by Canavan (last edited May 18, 2015 01:58PM) (new)

Canavan I had actually hoped to be able to participate in this month’s read, but so far I’ve been unable to locate my copy of the book. :(

Postscript: I poked through my stacks over the weekend of the 16th, trying one last time to unearth my copy of this month's read, but to no avail. I'm not too keen on the idea of buying another one (certainly not at this late date), so I will sadly not be participating.

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I finally got one but haven't actually started yet because I haven't had time. This seems like one of those situations where everything possible that can go wrong, does go wrong.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 547 comments The story gets going after page 40. The story also has funny moments.

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I finally really got going on this book which seems to be technically a novella. I have no idea what's going on. I re-read parts because I thought I must be overlooking something. I wasn't.

Now I'm not saying I literally don't understand what's going on, it all makes sense from an action point of view, but I cannot pick out what has meaning as distinct from what seems to be the truly surreal aspects of things.

One thing that seems strange to me is even the framing story(s) seem to be from the point of view of unreliable narrators.

Oh well, I assume in some respect all will be revealed.

message 10: by Tony (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tony | 53 comments I've read a few chapters. I am enjoying the highly charged atmosphere of strangeness and mystery.

My only problem is that I've seen the Orson Welles film so I'm not coming to the book fresh. Oh well...

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments After reading 2/3 I'm still at sea with what is going on but enthralled by the Gothic madness.

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I actually started to "get it" at about page 150. It definitely needs a second read. What a unique book!

message 13: by Tony (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tony | 53 comments I finished it. It's virtually plotless but with a fantastic dreamlike quality throughout. Thanks to whoever recommended this book!

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I'd like to get a little more lively discussion here even if you didn't currently read the book but did in the past. Even fuzzy memories can be useful and interesting at times.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 547 comments I plan to finish reading Malpertuis and see the new Mad Max movie this weekend.

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Did anyone else read this book, or remember having read it besides me?

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 547 comments Almost done. I'd never thought that a Gothic story can be so wild!

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 547 comments I plan to write a review by the end of the month. I'm leaning toward a solid 4 stars. The first 40 pages were, to me, slow. But the last 1/3 of the book was wondrous.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Malpertuis (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jean Ray (other topics)