Super Chill YA Book Club discussion

How to Love by Katie Cotugno > How to Love Part Two (Chapters 10-18)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen (the_book_tree) | 62 comments Mod
This is where you can discuss chapters ten through eighteen of How to Love!

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (the_book_tree) | 62 comments Mod
This entire section is like glorious character development. We get to see so much happen between Serena and Sawyer, and what happened to have their lives be the way they are, and why they act the way they do. I feel really bad that they had to deal with Allie's death, and that they are still dealing with it during the AFTER sections. I can only imagine what it would be like to have your best friend or significant other die, and it is not a good feeling, especially after fighting and stuff. I keep wondering how this book is going to continue on for 389 pages, but so far it hasn't disappointed me. I'm really enjoying the story and the characters and the writing. Hopefully the rest of the book will be just as good as these first two parts have been.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Stroesser | 14 comments So I definitely wasn't expecting Allie to die. I just assumed there was going to be a very angry friend. Sadly, instead now there is a lot of guilt and mixed feelings. I have really enjoyed these chapters for the character development Helen brought up. It's been very interesting seeing the reasons (other than sawyer leaving) that Serena is upset with him and the situation. My heart ached when she brought up how he was living her dream (traveling) while she had to stay at home with their child. One thing that really grinds my gears is reading about her Dad not supporting her in the beginning. I understand why parents but would be disappointed but I'm very sad to hear of parents that don't talk to their children for weeks after learning about it or the some that totally cut ties. I can imagine how awful and stressful it would be to become a young parent and to have someone you love blame you and make you feel bad when they should be helping you with that large journey would be extremely difficult. I am happy that at least now he has accepted it and has chosen to help her. But anyways, good chapters! Sorry I'm slow, I ended up with my nose in a different novel for a bit (:

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jolly Vater | 20 comments I'm pleasantly surprised by this book! I like seeing how Serena and Sawyers relationship developed before and how it's developing after. I liked too that Reena is dating however these situations in books always make me nervous for the person who comes in after (in this case, aaron). I love the fact that she's not holding back in the After story! In the before she is always nervous and blushing and worried about what he thinks and After she's basically over it and just speaks her mind and I love that. I especially love that she brought up traveling and, like you said, how sawyer basically was living her dream while she took care of their kid. I thought it was interesting though that he didn't know, but then it seems he found out later and still didn't come back for her. I'm interested to see where this goes! Although I'm sure by now you both are already finished!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Stroesser | 14 comments You're totally right about the before and after. She definitely sounded more nervous and young before. I thought that the way the author wrote it definitely captured those feelings of being cautious in the first young romance, trying to act like you think the person wants you to act.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jolly Vater | 20 comments Yes! Although now that I'm nearing the end, I can see she got a little more fed up with the party routine and actually did speak up quite a bit. But you can't reason with an addict.