Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic is about The Picture of Dorian Gray
Previous Quarterly Reads > May - Jul: The Picture of Dorian Gray

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion of thread for our quarterly read, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Paul Hopefully this will go down well, as Wildes only novel its an important Irish classic

Colleen | 1205 comments I remember reading this for school and not really liking it so it should be interesting to see how I feel about it as an adult.

Serf I really enjoyed this book. Only thing about books that most people really enjoy is there isn't much to discuss lol.
I thought the character dialogue in this book was brilliant. Wilde is a very clever wordsmith

Kevin I enjoyed this when I read it for college last semester. It is such a great feeling when a classic such as this goes down so well.

Trelawn I also loved it while not liking the lead character very much at all which is unusual.

Serf He wasn't an admirable character trelawn so pretty understandable why you didn't like him. I did feel sorry for him at times.

Paul He's never quite the tragic hero you hope or expect . In many books there is a redemption of sorts but Dorian just isnt likeable enough to deserve it.

Trelawn He really isn't which is why it's impressive that the book has remained so popular with such an unlikeable protaganist. He is the hedonist you love to hate (or at least dislike). I think morbid curiosity leads you to keep reading to see what else he'll do and how low he'll sink. Plus, Wilde could conjure up some great dialogue.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul In a weird coincidence my Mam just bought me a complete works of Wilde for my birthday . Good timing .

Kevin Typical Irish mammy, knows what you need ever before you need it. :)

message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) It'll be interesting to see if people have any thoughts on comparisons between this and Dracula considering they are both fin de siecle gothic horror.

I'm not yet sure if I'll physically read this or do it as an audiobook to given I read it in college only a few years ago.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul A lot of interesting comments for Dracula came out from the Audiobook versions so it would be interesting to see what people make of versions of this.
Should be good comparisons with Dracula too Emma, hopefully some of the interesting discussions there carry in.
I'm enjoying my classic Irish horrors over the last few months and hopefully I'll read a bit more Stoker and Le Fanu when I'm finished this.

message 14: by Serf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Serf I think it's popular because everyone contains some vanity, whether in looks or intellectually. The ending portrays how vanity destroys a person and I think thats why he is still a relatable character

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 11 comments I hope to join the discussion pretty soon, but I already have a question, if it is ok. I was going to get any paperback copy of the book, or even a free e-book, but I saw this on Amazon Kindle - The Picture of Dorian Gray (The Original 1890 Uncensored Edition + The Expanded and Revised 1891 Edition) - and I was wondering if anybody knows how relevant are these uncensored and expadend versions. Are those paperbacks we can find anywhere a censored version?

message 16: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I didn't know there were variations. I'd definitely look at uncensored though :-)
I started the book this morning.
The language is fantastic and the one liners out of Henry are worth the read alone.

Frank McAdam | 73 comments Seraphina wrote: "I think it's popular because everyone contains some vanity, whether in looks or intellectually. The ending portrays how vanity destroys a person and I think thats why he is still a relatable character"

I agree, Seraphina. I think the novel is more a morality tale than a horror story. On the most basic level, it demonstrates how someone who flouted conventional values receives his just punishment in the end.