Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
This topic is about Drums of Autumn
Archive - Series Reads > Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4) - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Drums of Autumn is the fourth book in the Outlander Series. The group is reading the series in preparation for reading the Romance Category Winner Written in My Own Heart's Blood later in the year.

Previous group reads in the series:
Book #1 - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Book #2 - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Book #3 - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon

Book Summary:
It began at an ancient Scottish stone circle. There, a doorway, open to a select few, leads into the past—or the grave. Dr. Claire Randall survived the extraordinary passage, not once but twice.

Her first trip swept her into the arms of Jamie Fraser, an eighteenth-century Scot whose love for her became a legend—a tale of tragic passion that ended with her return to the present to bear his child. Her second journey, two decades later, brought them together again in the American colonies. But Claire had left someone behind in the twentieth century—their daughter, Brianna....

Now Brianna has made a disturbing discovery that sends her to the circle of stones and a terrifying leap into the unknown. In search of her mother and the father she has never met, she is risking her own future to try to change history ... and to save their lives. But as Brianna plunges into an uncharted wilderness, a heartbreaking encounter may strand her forever in the past ... or root her in the place she should be, where her heart and soul belong....

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Are we really only on the 4th book? And holy moly it's over a thousand pages long! This woman really knows how to waffle.

Despite the obvious problems I am still enjoying the series and I hope I still have some of you left with me who are still reading?

I won't bother with a reading schedule this time around as it didn't seem to be working for anyone. I will continue to leave my thoughts as I read though.

I plan to post the chapters that I've read and plan to talk about and then put my thoughts behind a spoiler.

Krissy | 11 comments Hey Lynn! I haven't started it yet, May totally snuck up on me. I just realized today that the start date for this one was 10 days ago! I need to finish up a couple of library books and then I'm in. I really like the series and spacing it out every other month. I want to make it through as many of them as I can this year.

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Don't worry Krissy, I haven't started yet either lol

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
I must get around to starting this!

When I start reading them I do enjoy but the size of the book just puts me off starting.

Krissy | 11 comments Same here. These 1000 page books aren't getting me to my yearly goal any faster, that's for sure. I'm going to start it right now!

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
I have started it but only just, read the first couple of chapters.

Krissy | 11 comments My audio CD finally came in at the library and I've been making tons of progress. I love this book a lot more having it narrated and being able to multitask. Highly recommended!

It always takes me a few chapters (or 100 pages...) to get back into the flow of these books. It's like a soap opera, small "episodes" that occur frequently. I also have to take the time to remind myself I WANT to know what happens to them. But not to expect a fast moving plot. It's the pace of a daily soap (which I quit years ago).

The first 15 chapters I didn't really have much to comment on. There's travel, adventure,violence, blood, sex- the usual. Claire finds her medical expertise needed, again. New twist: (view spoiler)

This is the first book I did not read the description so I had no idea what to expect plot wise. (view spoiler)

At the end of chapter 15 (view spoiler) This had me rolling my eyes a bit (as well as a few other parts) but it was nice also- well written anyway. I am realizing the older I get why their story is so appealing to so many. They never turn into the "old married couple" that don't see each other. Which is supposed to be a nice fantasy but I'm finding it mildly annoying at times ;)

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4022 comments Mod
Krissy wrote: "My audio CD finally came in at the library and I've been making tons of progress. I love this book a lot more having it narrated and being able to multitask. Highly recommended!"

I may have to do that, I'm having difficulty finding the motivation for this one.