Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Kindle Paperwhite

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I sure don't find this much fun but I didn't know where to post this.

A month ago, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite (Well, I redeemed it with points earned with surveys. Thank God I didn't spend a penny on that thing. I'd cry.)

Ok, now to the point. Does anyone here know how to find a book on that thing without having to check page by page? (I have over 1100 books on it.)

Since it was sunny outside I decided to try and use it. No back light so not very handy device to begin with, but now, I can't even find the book I want to read. The magnifier icon (some kind of search engine) brings me to Amazon. I already bought that book. I don't want to buy it once again.

I'm just about to throw that crappy device through the window. :(

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Honestly, I don't know GG, I use my phone as my kindle, and it just shows me the book covers.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Not sure. I have a much older gen kindle keyboard and I have the book list as well. I know I can sort by title, author, or date added, so that helps a little.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Thanks both of you.

VM, I save this link for future references. That will be handy.

The magnifier finally worked. Stupid me I forgot I had bought that book after uploading all my old purchases on the Kindle and putting it aside. The device was downloading my recent purchases still. It FINALLY showed on my device. I guess I was not patient enough.

Riley Yes, the Kindle app shows covers, and it also has a search feature. I have it on both my iPads. The thing is iPads are so much faster than the Kindle paperwhite. I guess I was expecting too much of the little device. Patience is not a virtue I possess. :P

message 5: by EJ (last edited Apr 30, 2015 11:47AM) (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 37 comments This is very odd - I also have a Paperwhite (it's over a year old though so I don't know if the newer model is somehow different) and if I'm on the home page, tapping the magnifying glass icon allows me to search through all of my books.

I have a suspicion mine might be different than yours though because mine does have a backlight that has made it very handy for reading outside.

EDIT: ah I was like 5 seconds too late posting this lol

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Christina and E.J. Thanks guys. As I explained, it was my bad, my lack of patience.

I'm not giving the thing much chance. I was so upset when I realized I couldn't use it without lights that I tend to lose patience rapidly with the thing now. :(
I should have read the reviews more closely before making a decision. :/

message 7: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Well...you don't really have to have all your books on the device at the same time. You can keep some in the cloud so they don't hog up space (memory and screen).

Now, the speed of updating is going to vary depending on your wifi. I can't imagine iPads would be much different in that regard. I could never read eBooks on an iPad, though...reads too much like on a PC screen, and it's far too big for just reading.

I bought a Kindle Voyage last November and have nothing but good things to say about it. It actually looks better in full sunlight than indoors. And it's small enough to be used single handed, either hand works as well as the other. Makes for easy reading when I'm alone at a restaurant.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments My favorite device is the iPad mini. I've been using if for many years now, so I'm used to the glaring screen. (I just play with the intensity of the light when I need to, but with my eyes, the brighter the better.)

My hubby bought me the regular iPad as a gift after he he heard me complain about the Kindle. :P It's true that it's kind of big. For that, the Kindle is neat: it's light and small.

You're right. I don't need to keep all the books on the device, but I'm a maniac. I like to have them all handy in case I want them. ;) That said, I shouldn't blame the device for my mistake. I'll clean it up a bit by first removing books I've read and books I'm not about to read any time soon and see if it helps.

Thanks for the advice. :)

message 9: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments And as long as you've got wifi connection, you can view and download onto the device whatever book you need at the time. Downloading one doesn't take that long...over 100? Yeah, probably took a while! ;D

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments haha yep. One takes seconds only. (Unlike when I first got it and downloaded everything. That seemed to take forever!)

Anyway, I have to stop preparing for a 'zombie' apocalypse. We're not about to lose wifi now, are we? :P

message 11: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments It's looks like you go this solved, but I also have a paperwhite and I plug in into my desktop system, where it shows up as a removable drive. Then I can search for stuff to my heart's content.