Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

13 views
General Discussions > Sword & Sorcery in tie-in fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1198 comments Mod
This was actually linked in the comments in the SF Signal Mind Meld piece, but I thought it also deserved some attention ... (It's written by Ari Marmell, whose Widdershins books I quite enjoyed.)

http://suvudu.com/2010/01/poniards-an...


message 2: by Periklis, Fafhrd (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
Joseph wrote: "This was actually linked in the comments in the SF Signal Mind Meld piece, but I thought it also deserved some attention ... (It's written by Ari Marmell, whose Widdershins books I ..."

Great link Joseph. On the D&D tie-in novels Marmell mentions, the Dark Sun trilogy -Tribe of One- is embedded with S&S mores & tropes...


message 3: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1198 comments Mod
Periklis wrote: "Great link Joseph. On the D&D tie-in novels Marmell mentions, the Dark Sun trilogy -Tribe of One- is embedded with S&S mores & tropes... "

Dark Sun was always one of my favorite TSR campaign settings just because it wasn't Not-Medieval Not-Europe. I've managed to accumulate most or all of the novels but haven't read anything after Troy Denning's Prism Pentad (The Cerulean Storm etc.). More for the infinite list ...


message 4: by Periklis, Fafhrd (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
Joseph wrote: "Periklis wrote: "Great link Joseph. On the D&D tie-in novels Marmell mentions, the Dark Sun trilogy -Tribe of One- is embedded with S&S mores & tropes... "

Dark Sun was always one of my favorite T..."


Yes, Dark Sun & Planescape. The Pentad was wildly uneven in terms of writing (some books just read like a transcript of a gaming session) but loved the overall plot. The tribe of one books can be read after that and are way better in terms of writing, too.


message 5: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1198 comments Mod
My big problem with the Prism Pentad (assuming I'm not misremembering -- it's been years) was that (view spoiler)


message 6: by Periklis, Fafhrd (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
Joseph wrote: "My big problem with the Prism Pentad (assuming I'm not misremembering -- it's been years) was that [spoilers removed]"

Yes, the last book was full of moments like this. Stats before story. I remember hearing the dices roll after turning each page... :p
Don't think Denning is a bad writer though, I'm eager to try his Planescape novel, Pages of Pain.


back to top

80482

Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy"

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Cerulean Storm (other topics)
Pages of Pain (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Troy Denning (other topics)
Ari Marmell (other topics)