Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > June 2015 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,

This is the thread for your nominations for our next Book of the Month (BOM) for the month of June.

The following rules apply as always:
1) Authors aren't allowed to nominate their own books and your post will be deleted (feel free to post in the authors' threads on our site)
2) 1 book suggestion/nomination per person
3) First come, first serve. So whoever gets their nomination for a book in first, gets dibs on that book
4) A book in a series is fine
5) Please be mindful that recent books might not be readily available (yet) and be mindful that your suggestion is available in multiple formats.
6) Please check that a book hasn't already been read by checking our unread section of the bookshelf (it's not a 100%, I'm working on it).

Any questions let me know. We open nominations until June the 16th and then start voting.

Happy times!

message 3: by Ron (last edited May 02, 2015 03:04PM) (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 3759 comments River of Darkness (John Madden, #1) by Rennie Airth River of Darkness by Rennie Airth.

Incidentally, a 4th John Madden book by Mr. Airth recently came out, The Reckoning by Rennie Airth The Reckoning.

message 4: by Shruthi (last edited May 02, 2015 09:26PM) (new)

Shruthi (shruthi98) | 3 comments I would like to nominate Sleeping Murder (Miss Marple, #13) by Agatha Christie Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Bloomfield | 1 comments I would like to nominate THE GREEN PEARL CAPER by Phyllis Entis. A fast paced excellent read!!!

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments I keep nominating it because it really is a British gem by a terrific master of the genre : Dialogues of the Dead, by Reginald Hill.

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments I keep nominating it because it really is a British gem by a terrific master of the genre : Dialogues of the Dead, by Reginald Hill.

message 8: by Mary Beth (last edited May 08, 2015 06:31PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I nominate The Sixth Man by David Baldacci
Even though this is a series, these books do not need to be read in order. I did not read any of these in order and not once was I lost.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Matt wrote: "I keep nominating it because it really is a British gem by a terrific master of the genre : Dialogues of the Dead, by Reginald Hill."

I second Matt's nomination. Get with it, people!!! If you've never read a Dalziel & Pascoe book, you're missing out!

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Wichorek | -324 comments Me,too. I love all of Hill's books and really miss him.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments The only bad thing is that I could only find this title in hardback at my library.
If availability is a criteria, maybe this one is not suitable. Apologies........

message 12: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I also keep nominating a book, Bangkok 8, hoping it will get chosen one day :)

message 13: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments Suzy..... I have read all of Detlecheep's stories, and although they are all good, Bangkok 8 is still the most entertaining. I heartily second your nomination, if you are doing so.

message 14: by Matt (new)

Matt Hughes | 65 comments Suzy..... I have read all of Detlecheep's stories, and although they are all good, Bangkok 8 is still the most entertaining. I heartily second your nomination, if you are doing so.

message 15: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments I nominate The Doll Maker unless Linda nominates it again as she nominated it last month and she would have dibs on it

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Matt wrote: "The only bad thing is that I could only find this title in hardback at my library.
If availability is a criteria, maybe this one is not suitable. Apologies........"

Yeah, I had to use interlibrary loan for that one. But at least Death Comes for the Fat Man comes in Kindle. Maybe that means they're converting them all to e-book.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 3 comments I would like to nominate Immoral by Brian Freeman.
Hopefully it hasn't been nominated as a Book of the Month already ! Great first novel of the series.

message 18: by Hilary (last edited May 14, 2015 12:48PM) (new)

Hilary | 2 comments Barbara wrote: "I would like to nominate THE GREEN PEARL CAPER by Phyllis Entis. A fast paced excellent read!!!"

I second this nomination. A fun read.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 19: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Kirsten wrote: "Matt wrote: "The only bad thing is that I could only find this title in hardback at my library.
If availability is a criteria, maybe this one is not suitable. Apologies........"

Yeah, I had to us..."

Hi Kirsten,
Is this the book you'd like to nominate?
Thanks

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 264 comments I am reading Pines by Blake Crouch because of the TV series. It is trade paperback, but I don't know if it has been read before.
I nominate it if it is acceptable.

message 21: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Okay and with that we now close the nominations. Many have asked to have a poll to determine the winner. I have relented for this month and we will have a poll to determine the top 3 for June. The poll can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

The voting will close midnight the 30th of May (Pacific USA time).

Any questions, post them or pm me

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 184 comments Robert wrote: "I nominate The Monster of Florence by Magdalen Nabb"

Interesting, I've read the version written by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. It sounds like the same serial murders ...

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 184 comments Ron wrote: "River of Darkness (John Madden, #1) by Rennie AirthRiver of Darkness by Rennie Airth.

Incidentally, a 4th John Madden book by Mr. Airth recently came out, [bookcover:The Reckoning|20..."

River of Darkness was a wonderful book!

message 24: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I just want to state my opinion on this poll. For those of us that likes to nominate books, its fun to see if your book is going to be chosen. That's why I do it each month. With this poll it remains hidden so you don't get to see if your book is winning. I know we find out at the end of the month, but it still takes the fun of it.

message 25: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I'm a brand new member, but I do enjoy polls when the results are shown like they are in other groups. That way you can change your vote to break a tie and also get a feel for what people in the group like. As a new member, I also want to commit to reading the book that's chosen, so I can check if my library has the front-runners as I decide on my final vote as well. Thanks for considering this!

message 26: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments I've made the poll visible for all after your feedback. We're trialing the poll this month to see if it works better.

message 27: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 378 comments That's great! Thanks Chava for everything that you do for us!

message 28: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Mary wrote: "That's great! Thanks Chava for everything that you do for us!"

you're welcome. this group is for the members, by the members

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Chava wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Matt wrote: "The only bad thing is that I could only find this title in hardback at my library.

Y..."

No. I'm putting my backing with Matt!

message 30: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments cool. tnx for letting me know

message 31: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I do appreciate the visibility of the poll! I just put a hold on the front runner at the library.

message 32: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments good on you. We still have about 10 days of voting left, keep an eye on it :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.