Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
This topic is about The Likeness
Archive - Group Reads > Likeness, The - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new) - added it

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,

This is the discussion thread for discussing the BOM May winner The Likeness by Tara French. Your discussion leader is Natasha, thank you

message 2: by Natasha (last edited Apr 30, 2015 12:35PM) (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Hi everyone! I'really excited to read this book with you all this month. Its the first BOM I've won, therefore the first group discussion I get to lead, so I'm a newbie at this. :-)

I was introduced to Tana French with her first novel In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French and couldn't put it down. I had never read such a dark psychological mystery before (mostly Agatha Christie and similar) so it really intrigued me. That's why I nominated this book- to continue with the dark creepy-ness...
Why did you guys vote for it?

Our book this month The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French looks like it contains one of the main characters from Into the Woods (Detective Cassie Maddox) but I don't think it is completely necessary to have read In the Woods to read this. I think each of her books works as stand-alone, so were all good.

Has anyone ever read anything by Tana French before? Anything similar?
I hear Gillian Flynn's books are kinda in the same family as this. Can't wait to hear from everyone.

So excited to start reading!!!

Natasha

Freda Malone | 33 comments Natasha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'really excited to read this book with you all this month. Its the first BOM I've won, therefore the first group discussion I get to lead, so I'm a newbie at this. :-)

I was introdu..."

I've read all her books and no, I can honestly say that this is one series you really don't need to read in order. Similar? No, I haven't found anyone who writes like Tana French, she is an exceptional writer all her own and though some books remind me of other author's and stories or writing styles, these are one of a kind, in my opinion.

message 4: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Yes, I very much agree. Tana French is a great writer. Right after I finished Into the Woods I bought the entire Dublin Murder Squad series. The only reason they've been sitting on my shelf is because of my extensive To-Read list. I'm sure you can relate, lol. I'm very excited to pick it up again.
You said you've read them all- that's awesome. Do you remember having a favorite one?? And what did you think of The Likeness? (without any spoilers, of course)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I've also read all the Tana French books to date. I agree they can be read as stand-alones, but if read in order they do have a bit of a thread. I like how French plucks a supporting role character from each book to be the main detective in the next. French's books always stay with me - they are so vivid and memorable. I do think her writing is what I call "bloated", though. I always feel that her books could be edited, but then I guess length is the prerogative of the author and her editor!

I look forward to this discussion.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments I've read two of her books, and they give me the willies.
For one thing, she never answers the driving questions that us ordinary readers keep asking. Who dunit? Why?
We get lots of ordinary questions answered, like why did the guy next door do what he did. But WHAT HAPPENED in the woods?
We'll never know.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I am actually reading In The Woods this month! Next month I will be reading this book next month, so I guess Ill be joining this discussion next month! I am reading one book a month until this series is done. IM doing a buddy read this way of the series!

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Star | 12 comments In the Woods is on my TBR stack, so it's good to know that each book can stand alone.

Lightblue (lightblue82) | 3 comments I've started reading The likeness 5 days ago and I love it. French's style is superb and I really like her way to slow the rhythm down. I really miss Rob from The woods, although Cassie was my favourite characther. I am so curious about who killed Lexie!

message 10: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Leslie wrote: "I've read two of her books, and they give me the willies.
For one thing, she never answers the driving questions that us ordinary readers keep asking. Who dunit? Why?
We get lots of ordinary questi..."

Definitley. That's one thing that gave me the biggest sense of being creeped out -not knowing what happened.

message 11: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments So were about a week in and I'm on chapter 8. I'm not sure how far everyone is, I assume at least 2-5 chapters in?? (so I won't include any spoilers after that). I'm SO INTRIGUED. This story is really interesting.

So when Cassie did Undercover work for the first time she created a fake name/life- Alexandra Madison- to use as her cover. After the operation was over, Cassie no longer needed that fake name, so that was that. But then a girl- who looks JUST like Cassie and has the name Alexandra Madison- is found murdered. (This is on the summary in the back, so it's not a spoiler). It's obvious that this girl moved to Dublin (as herself) and kept getting recognized as Alexandra ("Lexie") and decided to pretend to be her. Was she running from something? I guess yes.
Where did she come from?? What's her real name? And I especially find her group of friends at Whitethorn House really creepy for some reason. They seem too grown up, too controlled. Idk.

What does everyone think so far??

Let me know what chapter you all are by, because I'm dying to discuss some things!! I just don't want to give anything away to anyone who might be behind.

Lightblue (lightblue82) | 3 comments I am on chapter 13 (no apoiler of course) and I find the book very itriguing. The group of friends reminds me The secret history by Donna Tartt (I loved this book). The guys are somehow creepy and full of untold secrets. I am really curious about the similarity between Cassie and Lexie, are they relatives? She found the diary very easily...so that's why I thought they could be twin sisters..

message 13: by Natasha (last edited May 07, 2015 04:36PM) (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Lightblue wrote: "I am on chapter 13 (no apoiler of course) and I find the book very itriguing. The group of friends reminds me The secret history by Donna Tartt (I loved this book). The guys are somehow creepy and ..."

I haven't read that one but if it's anything similar, I'll definitely look into it. I was pretty interested in the fact that Lexie and Cassie look so alike, too. It says in the book that Cassie was born an only child (theres even a scene where she wonders about this and goes to look at her birth certificate just in case) so I think siblings are out, but maybe distant relatives? You never know.

I never knew that this "double" thing could be so common. Sam or Frank said they had one that they get mistaken for all the time. Obviously this is fiction- but I'm curious, could this actually be true? I've never even heard of that before.

I'm completely breezing through this book- I'm already more than halfway through! I completely forgot how addicting French's books are.

Suzanne | 29 comments I'm very curious as well. I think they made the preparation before Cassie just went in as a replacement very believable - I wouldn't have bought it if she just went in blindly and pretended. I do NOT like Frank. I especially hate the way he treats Sam.

message 15: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) It's been a while since I read this book and I must say that I don't remember the outcome! But what has stuck with me are the visuals, the scenes and the (creepy) people. No matter how I feel about a Tana French book, they all stick with me! I felt that I had to suspend disbelief many times while reaading this book, but was still riveted by the story.

Suzanne, you'll have to get used to Frank since he is the main detective in the next book, Faithful Place. :)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 41 comments But I think "Broken Harbour" is probably her best book. That an "in the woods" are the ones I remember scenes from over and over again.

I always thought the premise of "The Likeness"
did not make much sense. Could they really not tell the difference between Lexie and Cassie? It just doesn't seem physically believable to me.

That being said, I still liked the book!

message 17: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Yes! there are some things that are a little unbelievable in the book. I'm glad you mentioned it Suzy and Mad- I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Lightblue (lightblue82) | 3 comments I finished the book..wow! I won't tell anything as long you will not finish it too. But I found the book incredibly beautiful (although I felt the same as Mad regarding the difference between Lexie and Cassie...)

message 19: by Natasha (last edited May 12, 2015 09:31AM) (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments I finished it too! I thought the last scene was really sweet. Overall, I really liked the book. I really wish the ending went differently but oh well- some things just go up in smoke.
(the following is not a spoiler but it might or might not change your perspective so don't read if u don't want that)
After we know everything about her life, I understand Lexie's story, yet.... I do not for a second like her character. Admire a little bit, yes. But it really sucks that Lexie literally ruined peoples lives. In each new place she made friends, ties, builds relationships, and then the second it seems she is fully welcome and part of their lives- the second she might be tied down- she bolts. Screwing people over and completely wrecking their lives for her own selfish reasons.
Cassie sort of glorified her and that is something I really did not like. Considering how the ending goes, I personally despise Lexie for her actions. Idk if thats just me, but there it is.
I still enjoyed the story and I would recommend this anyone book for sure.

Suzanne | 29 comments I enjoyed it - it was an interesting, character-driven mystery. I thought Cassie kept too many things to herself (view spoiler) And Natasha you are correct, Lexie ruined peoples lives. I liked the easy friendship portrayed by those in the house!

message 21: by Natasha (last edited May 14, 2015 12:20PM) (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Suzanne wrote: "I enjoyed it - it was an interesting, character-driven mystery. I thought Cassie kept too many things to herself [spoilers removed] And Natasha you are correct, Lexie ruined peoples lives. I li..."

Yes definitely. I thought it was really silly she kept SO many important things to herself (view spoiler)
Also, Cassie gets too emotionally involved, but I can see how. Living with them every day for an extended period, having to slip into the character as their best friend- it eventually seems real. But still, this is supposedly her job and I think she made a lot of slip-ups.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I just finished In The Woods and right now my emotions are all over the place. I loved the book! I'll be reading this one next month!

message 23: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments Mary wrote: "I just finished In The Woods and right now my emotions are all over the place. I loved the book! I'll be reading this one next month!"

That's great Mary! I'm so glad you liked it.

message 24: by Natasha (last edited May 16, 2015 01:12PM) (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments For those who have finished reading both In the Woods and The Likeness I have a question. What did you guys think about the endings for both?? (view spoiler) Any thoughts?

message 25: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 2 comments I am on the same page with your spoiler, Natasha; the two books' endings hit me about the same way. I loved both books, but because of this, I liked The Likeness better.
Natasha wrote: "For those who have finished reading both In the Woods and The Likeness I have a question. What did you guys think about the endings for both?? "

message 26: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha | 93 comments I am glad I am not the only one :-) Will you continue reading the rest of the series? I believe the next one is Faithful Place
I personally find her novels so addicting. So I think I will continue with that one after I finish up this cozy mystery series I'm reading for another book club.

message 27: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 2 comments Natasha
I read Faithful Place and found it as compelling. You have some very good reading ahead of you!