Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)
This topic is about Telling Tales
Archive - Group Reads > Telling Tales - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (last edited Apr 30, 2015 08:57AM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,

This is the discussion thread for Telling Tales. Thank you to Katya for being our discussion leader this month.

Katya (katya_sb) | 8 comments hello everyone!
thank you for voting for this book. I hope you enjoy reading it! :)

Katya (katya_sb) | 8 comments hello everyone.

so, just wondering, if anyone is reading this book right now but me :)

how many pages are you in? how are you liking it?

message 4: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor I'm hoping to get to this book but it's not available at the book store and I'm on a wait list at the library. I hope it shows up before the end of the month.

Katya (katya_sb) | 8 comments that's too bad. hope you will get it soon! :)

Katya (katya_sb) | 8 comments Hello everyone.
this is the first time the book I nominated won, so this is also the first time I'm a discussion leader.
therefore, if I'm doing it wrong, please, don't be too hard on me :)

I'm currently half-way through the book and I like it a lot. The language is a bit strange, I guess, because the story is based in England :) but I like Vera Stanhope. She is the first female detective I read about who is not hot or even attractive :)
I can't wait to finally find out who the killer is!

As soon as you start reading, please, let me know what your thoughts and impressions of the book are :)

message 7: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor The book has finally arrived! Just as the month is almost over. Grrrr. This is why I prefer to buy my books; I hate waiting. I'm only about 20 pages in but it looks promising. It seems to be a British police procedural which is my preferred type of mystery.

Katya (katya_sb) | 8 comments Good, at least it arrived! yes, it is based in Britain, and the use of British English words sometimes had me confused :)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I finished it sometime ago and found it really interesting.
Let me know what you think when you are done reading!

message 9: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor I really enjoyed this one and will definitely be reading more by the author. You're right about Vera being an unusual female detective. She was very interesting and likeable. I only gave it three stars though because I totally didn't find the ending plausible.

Katya (katya_sb) | 8 comments I'm really glad that you enjoyed it! I liked Vera too, I would also definitely like to read more books about her. You are right, she is likeable.
The ending seemed a bit strange to me too. I suspected everyone but not the person who turned out to be the killer. I was really surprised.

I'm planning to read The Crow Trap - the first book in the series. It would be interesting to read how Vera started, a bit about her life - I guess all of this is in the first book.

I wish more people would have read this book :)

message 11: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor I was surprised by the ending too but, for me, it just wasn't believable. The rest of the book was great though. I too wish more people had joined in. They missed out on a really good read. I have too much in my to-read pile right now but would eventually like to read more of her books.