Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > May on Deck

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments So... May is coming up. What do you guys have planned?

message 2: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments Still working on A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz then the usual random stuff :)

message 3: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I'm looking forward to tackling Les Misérables by Victor Hugo in May.

Otherwise I'm picking up Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman Diamond Head by Cecily Wong from the library today, both of which I'm extremely excited about.

I'm supposed to be doing buddy reads of UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman First Test (Protector of the Small, #1) by Tamora Pierce as well.

And then I've also got Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher and possibly Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher to read.

Yikes this is a busy month!

message 4: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited May 29, 2015 11:45AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments May!! So many good books this month.

Finishing:
Endsinger (The Lotus War, #3) by Jay Kristoff Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher

Buddy Reads:
Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee

Other Stuff:
Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2) by Rachel Hartman Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen The Martian by Andy Weir A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Finished:
Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher The Martian by Andy Weir

message 5: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments Jenny wrote: "May!! So many good books this month.

Finishing:
Endsinger (The Lotus War, #3) by Jay Kristoff Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher

Buddy Reads:
Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee

Other ..."

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I'm looking forward to tackling Les Misérables by Victor Hugo in May.

Otherwise I'm picking up Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman Diamond Head by Cecily Wong from the library today, bot..."

Shadowscale and Challenger Deep!!! I actually have those on my kindle!

message 6: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I'm reading a lot more now! I have these planned... Plus any others that I can squeeze in!

Taking the Stand (Crossfire, #3) by Juliann Rich End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee The Scar Boys by Len Vlahos Scar Girl by Len Vlahos Modern Monsters by Kelley York In The Absence of Light by Adrienne Wilder Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

In addition to those, I'll probably definitely continue reading Dresden Files with Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher and Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher . I'm also enjoying Mistborn, so I'll keep going with that and read The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson .

message 7: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Here is what I am planning on reading in May:

Current reads: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline The Coffin Quilt The Feud Between the Hatfields and the McCoys by Ann Rinaldi

Others: Charlotte Brontë A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio I Work at a Public Library A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks by Gina Sheridan Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre The F-Word by Jesse Sheidlower The Round House by Louise Erdrich The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells Confederates Don't Wear Couture (Pilgrims, #2) by Stephanie Kate Strohm Empress Josephine by Ernest John Knapton Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman The Dark Between by Sonia Gensler The Constant Princess (The Tudor Court, #1) by Philippa Gregory

New Books I hope to get to if the library gets them in:
Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Christie wrote: "Here is what I am planning on reading in May:

Current reads: Ready Player One by Ernest ClineThe Coffin Quilt The Feud Between the Hatfields and the McCoys by Ann Rinaldi

Others: [bookco..."

I LOVED Ready Player One and Constant Princess!

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie well, let's see. Halfway through the month and I've put Les Mis back on the shelf for a later date, I'm partway into Challenger Deep, and I ADORED Ashfall.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 197 comments How is Challenger?

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ wrote: "How is Challenger?"

Pretty good. It's very different from Shusterman's other books, so that kind of threw me for a loop. Chapters of reality are interspersed with chapters where Caden is aboard a ship, so it has me wondering if the ship is supposed to be either a metaphor or what goes on inside his head. I don't have it pinned down yet.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 197 comments I love his style in his other books. Hope this one won't throw me off too much. Payday is too far away!

message 13: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments I have read so few books this month ever! Listing them is not even worth the effort of calling up my gr challenge list because they were crappy. 0.o

All that said, try the audio of Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2) by Joe Abercrombie . And brace yourselves for Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

*I feel reading fatigue is fast becoming my reality :(

And you folks, I hope you all have had better luck than I.

message 14: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments You're not liking it?

message 15: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments My May books:

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee Chaos Unchained (Outlaw MC #1) by James Cox Underneath His Armor (Outlaw MC #2) by James Cox Behavior Problem (Outlaw MC #3) by James Cox With Tongue and Teeth (Outlaw MC #4) by James Cox The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. Ward Modern Monsters by Kelley York Against the Dark (The Associates, #1) by Carolyn Crane Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee In The Absence of Light by Adrienne Wilder The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Trowchester Blues (Trowchester Blues, #1) by Alex Beecroft

Bourbon Kings was surprisingly good. I loved Challenger Deep, a lot. Absence of Light will stick with me. And Dresden Files are always good.

message 16: by Isamlq (last edited May 31, 2015 12:43PM) (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments Wendy F wrote: "You're not liking it?"

Illuminae was all kinds of great...the reading fatigue relates to my overall state lately. i need more good/great/awesome books like it to hold my attention.

Have you seen the me, earl, dying girl movie trailer? :)

message 17: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Yeah, lol. That's what made me decide to read it. I want to see the movie. Now I'm wondering if they'll give it everything it needs. That book was hilarious, but dirty.

message 18: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments Wendy F wrote: "Yeah, lol. That's what made me decide to read it. I want to see the movie. Now I'm wondering if they'll give it everything it needs. That book was hilarious, but dirty."

I read it ages ago but recall enjoying it because of that same thing.

message 19: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I did not get to a lot of my books either, mainly due to so many new releases. Here is what I read this month:

4 stars: Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman The Round House by Louise Erdrich None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio I Work at a Public Library A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks by Gina Sheridan
3 stars: The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer Charlotte Brontë A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Ready Player One by Ernest Cline The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells Confederates Don't Wear Couture (Pilgrims, #2) by Stephanie Kate Strohm Dream a Little Dream (The Silver Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier
2 stars: The F-Word by Jesse Sheidlower

message 20: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited May 31, 2015 09:46PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I think I hit a bit of a slump this month as well. I read about halfway through a bunch of books, but could not seem to finish many at all. It isn't even that I didn't like them, I was enjoying all of them. I just couldn't get into a mood for them, I guess.
I did manage to finish Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher , which was decent, though I grow impatient to get to the really good stuff in that series, which I suppose will happen soon if I can get into the mood.
And I read The Martian by Andy Weir , which I loved.

message 21: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments Jenny wrote: "I think I hit a bit of a slump this month as well. I read about halfway through a bunch of books, but could not seem to finish many at all. It isn't even that I didn't like them, I was enjoying all..."

Yay for Martian!!!

message 22: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I made it 1/3 of the way through Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman and I'm determined to finish it in the next week.

Didn't pick up Diamond Head by Cecily Wong until just a few days ago, but I got started :)

Finished in May--
The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor Catherine the Great Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2) by Michael Scott All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth Wein