Region of Waterloo Library discussion

Summer Hiatus > Book Club Direction Under Review

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RWL (new)

RWL Waterloo Library (regionofwaterloolibrary) | 162 comments Mod
Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for their participation in the online book club over the last year. We have decided to take a break after the May discussion for the summer and relaunch with a new focus and purpose in the fall. Over the summer we encourage you to visit www.oboc.ca and participate in the One Book, One Community program in Waterloo Region.

It is our hope to redesign the book club to have a more interesting and clearer focus.

Two new directions we are considering for the book club are:

Classics: This version of the book club would review books from the literary canon. It would likely focus on English classics but would also touch on important other works from other countries throughout history. We would only read classics.

Books to Movies: This version of the book club would focus on titles that have been made into movies. The group would read the book and watch the movie. Then we would discuss and compare them.

Please let me know if you have a preference for one book club direction over the other. Or if you don't think either is a great idea, please let me know.

If you have any suggestions, ideas or recommendations feel free to email me directly at rwager@regionofwaterloo.ca. I will be taking into consideration your thoughts and feelings.

Thank you very much for participating in our online book club. We look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Rebecca

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (cmnb) | 54 comments Thank you, Rebecca, for all you do to put the book club together! I value it and have read books I wouldn't have even given a second glance. My choice would be Classics.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Pearson (heatherpearson) | 53 comments I like reading classics. i wouldn't be interested in a book-to-movie group. I see very few movies and generally only if I don't intend to read the book.

I enjoy this group and read the books as time and circumstances permit. Thanks for all the effort you put into it.

message 4: by RWL (new)

RWL Waterloo Library (regionofwaterloolibrary) | 162 comments Mod
Thank you very much Christine and Heather - I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me! It's been a fun challenge to run an online book club. I'm really looking forward to getting things going again in the fall.

I've gotten some other messages that suggest a Classics book club might be a better direction to go in. Can you give me an idea of what kinds of classics you'd want to read? Or even a few examples of your favorites? 'Classics' is pretty wide territory and I want to get a sense of what everyone likes. Also, do you have a preference for book length? Some classics are amazing, but are also 1000 pages which might not be practical for everyone.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Pearson (heatherpearson) | 53 comments I like Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, didn't like Oliver Twist, and won't read Moby Dick again. With one exception, all the classics I have note of reading were after 1800. Most are British , I think only The Scarlet Letter wasn't.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (cmnb) | 54 comments My tastes are very similar to Heather's. Basically, if there's been a BBC production that I enjoyed, I was motivated to read the book. :) But I would also be interested in American and Canadian classics as well.

Longer books would be difficult unless we had a few months to read them. If that were the case, we could break them into parts and read a certain amount each month for discussion. I'm thinking of Gone with the Wind, which I haven't read because of its size but would like to.

Since we're not doing anything for the next few months, maybe we could choose a longer book to read over the summer to discuss in September. You could select a few and we could vote on them. Just a thought.