Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > ebook vs paperback...like createspace..price difference

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments So I know you need a print form of your book for goodreads giveaway and such. I looked into createspace and it would cost me more than what my book is priced at right now. I only have it listed at $.99 as an ebook. To make it on createspace it would have to be much more than that to even make a small royalty. Do you price your book higher on a platform like that? And it asked how many pages the book would be? How in the world do I know that if I've never had it in print form? Any help or thoughts on this would be grateful.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2015 08:23AM) (new)

Hi. If you format the document file to the preferred final size (5.5x8 or 6x9 etc) and shove in the front matter and end matter and set out the chapters and text as you want, this will tell you the total page number. You need page numbering anyway and just remember the convention of not having page numbers on blank pages. You can download a template based on your page number to set out the cover artwork and get the spine width right.

You can start the upload process and get the ISBN and stick this into your document before creating a pdf version to upload along with a pdf of the cover (Unless you are using a createspace one.

As for price, print on demand as you know has a minimum cost that can't match ebook pricing or trad print versions, so it will be a tough sell but the theory is that people see the ebook price more favourably!

It won't cost more to you other than needing a front and back cover and the cost of a proof copy which is pretty essential. If you get a warning on upload about transparencies being corrected, I couldn't see any difference in the paper version and ignored this.

Go for matte finish and cream pages is my advice anyway.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments A print book is always higher than an eBook. Well...I shouldn't say always, there are exceptions, but quite honestly, they make me laugh. Amazon gives you a minimum price you should sell the book on their website anyway. The price varies according to the number of pages.

When you convert your book for print version, you'll have the page number then. Createspace has templates to help you do that. This youtube video is rather long because it explains far more than just the conversion but it's a good reference. I used it to do mine because the templates are great but I needed more explanations on how to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJKg...

Hope this helps.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments Thank you both answers are much help. Not sure I want to take it to this avenue right now but if I did I was a little lost on how to do it.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 19 comments Amanda: Whether to offer a print (paperback) edition of your book can depend in part on whether it's fiction or non-fiction. If non-fiction, in almost all cases it is worth the effort because it will allow you to reach audiences that want to keep your book after they read it as well as book clubs and people who don't read e-books. If it's fiction, it depends on your audience. If you're writing YA or New Adult, I'd skip the paperback edition; if adult including seniors, it might be worth it depending on genre. I hope this addition info helps.

message 6: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Halstead (cmhalstead) | 46 comments Peter wrote: "Amanda: Whether to offer a print (paperback) edition of your book can depend in part on whether it's fiction or non-fiction. If non-fiction, in almost all cases it is worth the effort because it wi..."

To add to this. . .45% of books sold are paperback! Something to take into consideration.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments It's fiction. I write romance. I did have a few people (that I know personally) ask if it would be available in print so that is another reason to consider it. I, myself, enjoy paperback better. But I still read ebooks as well. I guess it feels weird to have one price different from another. And I don't have many followers yet so I guess the question is...is it worth to do it now or wait until the book picks up a bit? Or could this help pick it up more in terms of sales?

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments With a print version you can use the Giveaway tool on Goodreads. It doesn't always generate reviews but it does add your book to the infamous To-read list, which helps with its discoverability.

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 19 comments Amanda: It is weird that one's books are priced differently depending on the media, but there is some logic behind it as once you've created an ebook version, there's no cost involved in reproducing it for each new reader, but a print copy has to be printed and then mailed to the reader. Therein lies the bulk of the difference.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I offer my novels in ebook, paperback, and hardcover. I sell overwhelmingly just the ebook format, but offering other formats costs nothing and adds a bit of authenticity to your work.

message 11: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
You can do a giveaway with electronic versions too, you just have to be crafty about it, but there are still a few dinosaurs on the boards here that prefer a real book in their hands. (Truth to tell, if my kindle didn't hold 6 million books on it, I'd probably prefer a real book too.)

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments Yeah I can see the cost of making it and shipping being the difference. I think I'm being convinced here to do it. It's been in the back of my mind anyway. Heck I'll probably buy my own book to add to my shelf of others books I have... Hehe...silly things like that make me feel good:)

message 13: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Amanda wrote: "I guess it feels weird to have one price different from another. "

A paperback book (or hardcover) is almost always priced differently than an ebook. Most ebooks sell for $1-8 dollars. Paperbacks often start at $8 and go up to $15.

I'm getting ready to release my first novel (romance) in a few weeks as an ebook priced at $2.99. I will also offer a paperback (because some folks have asked for it), and because my book is 450 pages long, the price will be around $15 (and that's with no royalty for me). That's pricing it out of the market, for sure, but I'll buy a few hard copies, as will some family and friends, mostly for fun.

Having a paperback version of your book available adds tremendous credibility to your name as an author. It shows you're serious, and you have at least some idea of what you're doing. Adding an audio book (which is becoming more and more common for indie authors) adds even more credibility.

I will offer paperbacks, but I don't expect to make any money from them. But since they are printed on demand, there's really no cost for me.

April

message 14: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Briginshaw | 74 comments C.M. wrote: "Peter wrote: "Amanda: Whether to offer a print (paperback) edition of your book can depend in part on whether it's fiction or non-fiction. If non-fiction, in almost all cases it is worth the effort..."

In my case, 85% of my sales are the paperback version. I write mysteries. I priced my novels at $9.50 and earn about $2.20 royalty on each sale. For the eBook version, I priced them at $3.50 and also earn about $2.20 in royalties for each sale.

message 15: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Kaplan | 47 comments I sell some paperbacks, not a lot, but I also take them with me to signings, conferences and other appearances. I send them to people to review. They aren't really an income channel but it's free to get it into the pipeline and available, and it serves a purpose beyond royalties for me.

I have my ebook copies at 2.99 unless they're on sale, and the paperbacks are in the $12 - $14 range. I don't make much on the paperback, I don't think in terms of royalty per sale.

message 16: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Amanda. Some people, though there are few, want to feel paper in their hands. Here are some things about Create Space that I learned that has helped me. Forget double spacing. People can and do read single-spaced books. Keep in mind, your customer pays Create Space a minimum price they set for your book based on the number of pages. It doesn't matter what size the book it, the price is set for number of pages. Do try to make is single-spaced and 6X9" book. The price is lower than if it was smaller and a thicker book.

Best regards, Morris

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments Thanks for the advice everyone. Morris, I did mess with the template a little today and number of pages so that is good info to know. I would have to set my price high just to make a teeny tiny royalty. And it's not too much about the royalty I care about, but I also don't want to pay out of pocket either. Right now just messing with it I would have to set my book high and that bugs me. If I'm not willing to pay a high price for a book I feel funny asking others to pay it for mine. Just how I feel. I'm still going to think on it, but thank you everyone for your opinion and how you handle it. I have a better understanding at least.

message 18: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Amanda, you're not forcing anyone to buy it. You're just giving them a choice so people who only read paper books still can read your book if they want to.

It's at no cost to you if you do the conversion and the cover,back cover, and spine yourself.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments I know it's not but right now I have it at $10 in order not to be in the negative for royalties and I'm not sure I would even spend that much on a paperback. That's all. People can choose to buy it or not, I get that. Just thinking in personal terms.

message 20: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Keep in mind, Amanda, if you have a book signing or sell direct to people, you yourself don't pay the asking price. My book is about $11, but I can buy them shipped to me for about $6. And the more copies you order, the more the price drops, to a point. You can certainly make some money if you have direct contact with customers. You can even sell them off your web, and then order them from Create Space and at the author price and have them shipped directly to the customer. You don't want to order them in bulk and pay for the shipping yourself to each customer; shipping a book is brutal with the USPS. You can have your customer pay you through paypal or any shopping cart and set the price you want.

Morris

message 21: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) With giveaways, you may have to bite the bullet and have them shipped straight to you, so you can autograph them personally and ship them to your readers. You take a beating on the postage, but that's the only way to send a signed copy.

Hope all this helps, Morris

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments Yes, thank you, Morris. That was helpful. I'm probably going to do it but I'm juggling so much right now it's hard to keep up...lol.

So hard that I just had to take a break writing this to grab my one daughter a snack and fix the pjs to my other daughter. Apparently tinker bell isn't ok...she needed sponge bob instead! Sponge bob...really:(

But I think I will eventually do it.