2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

2015 Plans > Erica's Challenge Plan [COMPLETED!]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erica (last edited Dec 28, 2015 01:17AM) (new)

Erica | 214 comments Well, I just found this group at the end of April so I was very behind, but almost caught up now. Looking forward to challenging myself!

* Bold entries are finished.

CURRENTLY READING

BOOK RIOT: Persuasion by Jane Austen

READ (52/52)
Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult Yes Please by Amy Poehler Landline by Rainbow Rowell Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami Known to Social Services by Freya Barrington All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison Catch-22 by Joseph Heller Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov Stone Mattress Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Far from the Madding Crowd  by Thomas Hardy Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Freedom by Jonathan Franzen Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty My Life in France by Julia Child Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton Ready Player One by Ernest Cline The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The Zombie Survival Guide Recorded Attacks by Max Brooks The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill NOS4A2 by Joe Hill The Stranger by Albert Camus The Pact by Jodi Picoult To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) by Stephen King Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller The Cosmic Landscape String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design by Leonard Susskind

SIDE READS
Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver Roost by Ali Bryan Bird Box by Josh Malerman The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson Not That Kind of Girl A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" by Lena Dunham I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai Brain on Fire My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me A Black Woman Discovers Her Family's Nazi Past by Jennifer Teege Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling China Dolls by Lisa See The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion Wind/Pinball Two Novels by Haruki Murakami Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson The New Jim Crow Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander Dear Life Stories by Alice Munro Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes We Were Liars by E. Lockhart The Romanov Sisters The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra by Helen Rappaport The Kite Runner Graphic Novel by Khaled Hosseini The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris How To Be a Good Wife by Emma Chapman The Pocket Wife by Susan H. Crawford 11/22/63 by Stephen King Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz Lunenburg by Keith Baker

WEEKS & TOPICS
1. a book with more than 500 pages
Freedom

2. a romance
Me Before You

3. a book that became a movie
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

4. a book published this year
Leaving Time

5. a book with a number in the title
Fahrenheit 451

6. a book written by someone under 30
Half of a Yellow Sun

7. a book with nonhuman characters
Cinder

8. a funny book
Yes Please

9. a book by a female author
* FINISHED
Landline

10. a mystery or thriller
The Silent Wife

11. a book with a one-word title
Lolita

12. a book of short stories
Stone Mattress: Nine Tales

13. a book set in a different country
And the Mountains Echoed

14. a nonfiction book
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

15. a popular author's first book
Killing Floor

16. a book from your favorite author that you haven't read yet
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

17. a book a friend recommended
Known to Social Services

18. a Pulitzer-prize winning book
All the Light We Cannot See

19. a book based on a true story
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

20. a book at the bottom of your to read list
Catch-22

21. a book your mom loves
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls

22. a book that scares you
House of Leaves

23. a book more than 100 years old
Far from the Madding Crowd

24. a book based entirely on its cover
Where'd You Go, Bernadette

25. a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't
The Handmaid's Tale

26. a memoir
Orange Is the New Black

27. a book you can finish in a day
The Strange Library

28. a book with antonyms in the title
Big Little Lies

29. a book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
My Life in France

30. a book that came out the year you were born
Deadeye Dick

31. a book with bad reviews
The Fountainhead

32. a trilogy (the first)
The Golden Compass

33. a trilogy (the second)
The Subtle Knife

34. a trilogy (the third)
The Amber Spyglass

35. a book from your childhood
Anne of Green Gables

36. a book with a love triangle
Ethan Frome

37. a book set in the future
The Road

38. a book set in high school
Ready Player One

39. a book with a color in the title
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

40. a book that made/makes you cry
The Glass Castle

41. a book with magic
The Graveyard Book

42. a graphic novel
The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

43. a book by an author you've never read before
Heart-Shaped Box

44. a book you own but have never read
The Pact

45. a book that takes place in your hometown
The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

46. a book that was originally written in another language
The Stranger

47. a book set during Christmas (or similar holiday)
NOS4A2

48. a book written by an author with your same initials
The Fall of the House of Usher

49. a play
Death of a Salesman

50. a banned book
To Kill a Mockingbird

51. a book based on OR turned into a tv show
Mr. Mercedes

52. a book you started but never finished
The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design

BOOK RIOT READ HARDER CHALLENGE (23/24)

Task 1- A book written by someone under 25
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

Task 2- A book written by someone over 65
Dear Life

Task 3- A collection of short stories
Interpreter of Maladies

Task 4- A book published by an indie press
Lunenburg

Task 5- A book by or about someone who identifies as LGBTQ
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Task 6- A book by a person whose gender is different from your own
Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Task 7- A book that takes place in Asia
The Orphan Master's Son

Task 8- A book by an author from Africa
Broken Monsters

Task 9- A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture
Indian Horse

Task 10- A microhistory
The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra

Task 11- A YA novel
We Were Liars

Task 12- A Sci-fi novel
The Martian

Task 13- A romance novel
The Rosie Project

Task 14- A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Task 15- A book that is a retelling of a classic story (fairytale, Shakespearian play, classic novel, etc.)
Scarlet

Task 16- An audiobook
Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography

Task 17- A collection of poetry
Brown Girl Dreaming

Task 18- A book that someone else has recommended to you
Bird Box

Task 19- A book that was originally published in another language
Wind/Pinball: Two Novels

Task 20- A graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind
The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel

Task 21- A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure
The Pocket Wife (because I was reading this in addition to the books on these 2 lists, even though I still have 10 books to read in just over a month).

Task 22- A book published before 1850
Persuasion

Task 23- A book published this year
My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Woman Discovers Her Family's Nazi Past

Task 24- A self-improvement book (can be traditionally or non-traditionally considered “self-improvement”)
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

message 2: by Keri (new)

Keri  | 92 comments Hi Erica!! You have SO many great books on your list!! I especially loved Outlander, The Husband's Secret, The Book of Negroes, Orphan Train and Brain on Fire. I can't wait to hear how you like them! I just started All the Light We Can Not See.

For a book set in high school I recommend Cinder & Ella, Rebel Belle or The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Welcome to the group!

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments I loved Me Before You, and Cinder. I second Keri's recommendation on Cinder & Ella. I read it for my high school book and loved it. You could also use Slammed or Hopeless by Colleen Hoover for that category. She's one' of my favorite authors.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions! I think I'll read Cinder & Ella :) Outlander is #52 because I couldn't get into it at all… I know I'm in the minority there. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it enough to finish it at the end of the year.

.•*¨`*•✿ ✿•*¨`*•. Christine .•*¨`*•✿ ✿•*¨`*• Since you have Cinder on your list, you could read Scarlet for the book set in the future. I'm anxiously waiting for Winter to come out this year.

If you like Urban Fantasy/Paranormal, you could read Bitten for week 51; book turned into a TV show.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Thanks to a long weekend at the beach, I finished Week 18 and went back and read two more (Yes Please and Landline). Slowly catching up :)

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Only 8 books behind now :) Another couple weeks and I should be caught up!

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Only 3 books behind schedule now, but I think House of Leaves might take me awhile. Luckily I have a surprise 3 day weekend (Monday is Children's Day in China and I teach grade 1 here so no school!).

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments Great progress. I just finished The Giver Quartet. Try and read all 4 books if you can. They are not too long.

message 10: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments Oh, I have chosen the same trilogy :-)
We have a few others in common. I'm reading Lolita as the book with bad reviews. Did you like it?

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I loved Lolita! I didn't know The Giver was part of a series. I chose it because I have a copy from a high school I taught at that closed, but I only have the one book.

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Actually, I was wrong. I must have given The Giver away. I can't find it. So I might change that one, unless I can get it from the library as an ebook. We'll see. Since I'm almost caught up now (almost done my 18th book, and in just about a month and a half too since I started the challenge so late), I might start adding in some side reads. There are so many books that everyone posts about that I want to read, but they don't really fit into any categories I don't already have covered.

Right now I'm reading House of Leaves and it is so good! Unlike anything I've ever read before and VERY unsettling. So glad I came across this challenge because I might never have heard of this fantastic book otherwise!

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I changed the school book to The Handmaid's Tale because although I read everything I was supposed to in school, this is a Canadian book I probably should have read long ago and it seems to be on many school lists. I also changed the 100 year old book from The Rainbow to The House of Mirth just because it's so much shorter and I'll be a couple days late starting this week.

message 14: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments Love The Handmaid's Tale.

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Just finished Unbroken and loved it. What a powerful story. It's difficult for me to reconcile the way the Japanese military acted during the war with the Japan that I fell in love with when I lived there for 4 years. But now that I live in China, and see the ingrained hatred that many people here have for Japan, this book helped me see things a bit more from their perspective. I think it's amazing that Louie went through so much and yet was able to empathize with even the cruelest guards.

I'm still waiting on Orphan Train from the library, so I'm going to switch my Cover book to Where'd You Go, Bernadette since I already have it and I also chose it because of the cover. If I can finish it by Thursday, I'll only be 2 books behind!

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I really liked Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Pretty funny. I just finished The Handmaid's Tale and am a little surprised that I found this on a high school book list. It was very disturbing, but I really enjoyed it at the same time.

I'm a little ahead with the current weeks now and only have 3 old weeks to catch up on, so I'm going to read a couple of side reads that have become available at my library before moving on to my next challenge book. I'm averaging about 2 books per week so should be fully caught up soon even so. Because of this challenge I've found so many extra books I want to read so my TBR list is getting a little out of control ;)

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Just finished Freedom and enjoyed it but didn't love it. It took me so long to finish! I've switched my Memoir book to Orange Is the New Black because there are still 3 people ahead of me for Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness at the library (I can't believe how long I'm waiting for some books to be honest). I also have I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban to read as a side read for this week, as well as a few other novels. Since my last day of work is tomorrow, I think I'll be reading even more, at least until baby comes (about 6 weeks now!!).

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Only 2 old weeks to catch up on and I'm ahead with the current weeks, so it's time to attack some side reads on my library e-shelf before they expire :)

message 19: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Have fun with the side-reads and rest well during the next weeks :)

message 20: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Thanks Zaz :)

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments We Need to Talk About Kevin was probably not the best book to read less than 5 weeks before becoming a mother… I enjoyed it but it was very disturbing! One more quick side read, then back to the challenge with Big Little Lies, which I've been saving for the Read-a-thon :)

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Being on summer/maternity leave I thought I would get bored, but I actually feel like I don't have enough time in the day, and most of the reason is because of how much I've been reading. 5 books in the last week! I think my favourite from the last week was Bird Box. Very creepy and I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. My Life in France was wonderful but I got very distracted because it made me want to cook, search recipes on Pinterest/Foodgawker and watch cooking shows (I binge watched Chef's Table on Netflix).

message 23: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Finally officially caught up!

message 24: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Tried to read The Orphan Master's Son before it was due back at the library, but only got about 20% into it. I've requested it again but have 1 person ahead of me so while I wait, I'll move onto Deadeye Dick for my "year I was born" book (1982).

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I'm really enjoying The Fountainhead but it's so long and I'm finding it slow going, partly because my parents and in laws are all here waiting for the baby (due tomorrow), so I'm taking a little break to read Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness which I finally got from the library. I've already read half of it and I only started this morning, so I think it was a good choice :)

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Ugh, baby is almost a week late, but at least I have reading to keep me entertained while I wait :)

I loved The Fountainhead even though it was a long read.

message 27: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Well done. What has been your favorite read this far?

message 28: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Hard to pick just one, but my favourites have been House of Leaves, Fahrenheit 451, The Handmaid's Tale, Bird Box and Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness.

message 29: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Thanks, Erica. I have added. Bird Box, House of Leaves,and Brain Fire...to my "to read" shelf.

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Baby is 10 days old now, and I'm starting to read to him when he's nursing, from my books :) But I've definitely slowed down… too much to do with my little boy :0)

message 31: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Aawww, congratulations! What's his name? Also, although I don't have any experience myself as I don't have any children, I think with a new born you're still doing incredibly well reading wise.

message 32: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Parker Zunyu (he is half Chinese) :) He sleeps a lot (on me) so I need something to do. I think it also calms him to hear my voice so I read out loud when he's awake :)

message 33: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I'm sure things will change once he's out of his sleepy newborn phase ;)

message 34: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Aawww! You're making me broody! Haha! You're probably right though, it'll probably change a bit after a while. At least you can make the most of it now, though!

message 35: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments Erica wrote: "Parker Zunyu (he is half Chinese) :) He sleeps a lot (on me) so I need something to do. I think it also calms him to hear my voice so I read out loud when he's awake :)"

Congrats! That's so cute.

message 36: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Thanks guys :)

message 37: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I'm enjoying the Amber Spyglass, but for some reason I want to take a break... So I've read 4 books on the side. If I could stop with the side reads, or fit them in to the challenge, I'd probably be done by now. But there are just too many good books out there to read :)

message 38: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments A couple books behind now but only because I've been reading side reads… if it looks like I won't finish the challenge in time I'll make some of those fit, but I think I'll catch up :)

message 39: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments I'm pretty much on track, even with all the extra side reads, so I'm taking on the Book Riot Challenge as well. I can already fit 7 side reads into the tasks, so I think I can finish both challenges by the end of the year :)

message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments A couple weeks behind because of the side reads, but the next few are quick ones.

message 41: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments And caught up again! I really want to read a horror novel since it's Halloween week, so I'm reading Heart-Shaped Boxfor my new author book, but I also have The Book of Negroes out from the library for only 10 more days so reading them at the same time just in case. Also reading Interpreter of Maladies for the Book Riot short story week.

message 42: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments I have not read any book by Joe Hill yet, except his graphic novel Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and it was really good. With which of his books would you recommed I should I start to read?

message 43: by Erica (last edited Oct 26, 2015 07:10PM) (new)

Erica | 214 comments
I have not read any book by Joe Hill yet, except his graphic novel Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and it was really good. With which of his books would you recommed I should I start to read?

I'm not sure. This is the first one I've read and I'm just starting it, but I've heard good things about all of his books.

message 44: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I'm a huge proponent of Joe Hill. I think I've read all of his books except the novellas. I'm on volume 3 of Locke and Key right now so working through them.

Personally, I liked Heart Shaped Box best. But the world he creates in NOS4A2 is pretty amazing. I would say if you want more of a romance then go with Horns. I'm realizing as I write that I really just love all of them... :p

message 45: by Erica (last edited Oct 30, 2015 02:01AM) (new)

Erica | 214 comments I'm about half way through Heart Shaped Box and like it so far. I also have NOS4A2 from the library so will read that soon too.

message 46: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments The next couple books are ones I have physical copies of and those are pretty hard to read with a baby, so I'm switching them out to books I can read on my phone or kindle.

message 47: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Why, you don't have 3 arms?
It's nice that the baby lets you read a little. Did you start to look at the children books you could read him? :)

message 48: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments Zaz wrote: "Why, you don't have 3 arms?
It's nice that the baby lets you read a little. Did you start to look at the children books you could read him? :)"

We read picture books everyday too :) I'm a Grade 1 teacher (on maternity leave) so he heard plenty of kid's books while I was pregnant too :) I think it's never to early to start! Already at 2 months he looks at the pictures and seems interested when we read together :)

message 49: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) Love your list!! Lots of variety!

message 50: by Erica (last edited Nov 07, 2015 06:35PM) (new)

Erica | 214 comments Reading slightly out of order now, as The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design is on my kindle, which seems to be broken :( Too many footnotes to read comfortably in the app. Fingers crossed I can fix my kindle!!

« previous 1