Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell on BBC TV

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2015 07:57AM) (new)

The BBC has released a trailer for its upcoming TV adaptation of S. Clarke's gaslight fantasy novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell trailer

BBCAmerica is planning on running the 7-part series in the US cable as well, though they don't give a date.

Andreas | 677 comments Would it be fitting to set up a contemporary BotM read for that? We don't have a nomination, yet for June.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Conway | 33 comments After reading the synopsis for this show, I quickly added this to my wishlist. I hate not knowing if I should read the book before watching the adaptation. Most times it just detracts from my enjoyment. However, then there are times where knowing the outcome of a book has made it harder to read (I'm looking at you Fight Club).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

BBC has an extended trailer on YouTube (Why is there no more Magic done in England?) If memory serves, that's from Chapter 1.

It left me wondering, Why is the no more stage lighting done in England? :)

BBC One has set the UK premier date as May 17.
BBC America has set June 13 for the US.

L.G. (upl8) | 4 comments Michael wrote: "After reading the synopsis for this show, I quickly added this to my wishlist. I hate not knowing if I should read the book before watching the adaptation. Most times it just detracts from my enj..."

I read this book when it was first published. I liked it and hope that the series lives up to the original premise.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought I'd remind US members that Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell debut on BBC-America this Saturday. For those who can't wait or don't have BBCA on a cable package, episode 1 is already on line at BBCA's website.

L.G. (upl8) | 4 comments G33z3r wrote: "I thought I'd remind US members that Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell debut on BBC-America this Saturday. For those who can't wait or don't have BBCA on a cable package, episode 1 is already on line..."

Thank you for the reminder!

Sarah Mankowski (sarahmankowski) | 246 comments The first episode is already on Amazon Prime Instant Video. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z... Looks good so far.

message 9: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Conway | 33 comments I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit!

Sarah Mankowski (sarahmankowski) | 246 comments Here is a link to an interview with the screenwriter Peter Harness: What It's Like to Write British TV Like 'Doctor Who' and 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell'

It will be interesting to see what he does with an original series.

message 11: by Landree (new) - added it

Landree Rennpage | 9 comments The miniseries ended just a few weeks ago. I haven't read the book, but thought it was a great series. Recommend it whether or not you read the book. Definitely want to go back and read it now! Will have to find my copy, somewhere...

message 12: by L.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

L.G. (upl8) | 4 comments I read the book when it was first published. I enjoyed it and bought copies for several friends. I have watched the series and was pleased.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth Kendall | 8 comments I enjoyed the series it got a bit weird in the middle but still it was good.

Hillary Major | 436 comments I read the a while back & remembered liking it (although it kept a certain narrative distance from the characters that was very appropriate to the Austen-esque period vibe but probably kept me from truly loving the novel). I enjoyed many of the details, like the extensive footnotes, but I could see some readers finding some of the flourishes a bit litcrappy. What I remember about it mostly is the distinctive style and the setting/concept rather than many of the plot details.

I just saw the series this week & thought it did a really remarkable job of capturing the spirit of the book. Mr. Norrell is a character who doesn't really *do* all that much, so showing the complexity of his reactions had to be a challenge, and Strange's core likeability wars with the ways his character changes over the story, and the series didn't oversimplify. Since I didn't remember the book's plot that clearly, I thought they would have to create a lot of filler, but almost everything I watched resonated with my (vaguish) memories of reading; in fact, the series model probably gives a more traditional balance to plot/setting/embroidery. I thought they BBC was clearly a wise choice to helm this adaption.