Jewish Book Club discussion

The Rabbi's Cat
This topic is about The Rabbi's Cat
2015 Books/Discussions > The Rabbi's Cat

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ✡ Shira (last edited Apr 30, 2015 05:17AM) (new)

✡ Shira Hoffman (jewishbookclub) | 86 comments Mod
I've changed the monthly read to May's book - The Rabbi's Cat. The book got a lot of wonderful reviews.

I'm looking forward to reading a graphic novel. The last comics I read was in 1969. I would sit on one of those swiveling stools at the soda fountain in the local 'People's Drug Store'. I would sip a coke, eat french fries, and read comics like 'Archie', 'Richie Rich', and 'Little Lulu'. After I would read them, I'd just put them back on the rack - like everyone else did. Fun Stuff.

See you on the boards!
description

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Rice | 1632 comments Mod
I am going to begin The Rabbi's Cat now, having just finished the selection for my brick-and-mortar book club. :) I was excited to read this article about the author and his work in the current issue of Jewish Review of Books: http://jewishreviewofbooks.com/articl...

message 3: by H (new)

H Gibson (hlgibson) | 15 comments Couldn't finish this one. Way to blasphemous for my tastes. I'll start on the June selection.

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

OK, so now it seems the societal argument over satire has come home to roost. I'm loving the book.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 28 comments I am sorry that I couldn't join you in reading this book. I couldn't get hold of a copy here in the UK and it was a bit pricey to send overseas for.

message 6: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

That's too bad, Anna. I got mine very inexpensively from the Amazon Marketplace. It's the hardback, very heavyweight paper, and looks new.

message 7: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shabbat shalom, Jean-Paul.
Time to unplug--and go read.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 28 comments Jan wrote: "That's too bad, Anna. I got mine very inexpensively from the Amazon Marketplace. It's the hardback, very heavyweight paper, and looks new."

At the time I looked on the Amazon marketplace it would have cost me about £11 incl. postage which was a bit pricey for me. I buy alot of books that way.

I have already got a copy of the book for the next read so looking forward to that one.

message 9: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

The public library has the next one. :)

The Rabbi's Cat is the first graphic book I've made it all the way through. It made me laugh--and think. Maybe my other book club would read it, if they weren't too quick to reject it for being a graphic book! I'd like to read the sequel and maybe Klezmer, Book One: Tales of the Wild East.

message 10: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean-Paul wrote: "...I was scared of offending certain sensibilities :-) "

Could that be why discussion has been rather limited generally? I imagine Sfar would skewer us all for that!

message 11: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean-Paul wrote: "...I hope he would not skewer us for our lack of courage, but simply nudge our conscience in the hope that we find the courage to express ourselves in a subtle way that would not obviously offend :-) good night and bonne lecture ;-) "

Thanks; same to you, Jean-Paul

message 12: by ✡ Shira (new)

✡ Shira Hoffman (jewishbookclub) | 86 comments Mod
Shalom All,

I have been so busy with my kids and college that I am just getting around to reading the discussions. Please. You guys are throwing out some wonderful book suggestions. I only ask that you put these suggestion in the 2017 Book suggestion discussion folder so I'll include them in our reads. I totally missed them because I only looked in the 2016 suggestion folder for book suggestions.

Happy Reading!

שלומ
description