Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

You (You, #1)
This topic is about You
Jul-Aug 2015 You > Overall Impressions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Put your general impressions about this book here.

Summer (paradisecity) | 9 comments This book was a quick read (it had to be; I didn't have the patience for either Joe or Beck's whining), but even after I've let it sit for a while I'm still on the fence about it.

On one hand, I think the author wrote a pretty accurate villain. I work in mental health and Joe's thinking is precisely what I'd expect from someone like him. While he's certainly an exaggerated character, his thought patterns are right in line with someone who's egocentric and hasn't developed the ability to take another person's perspective.

On the other hand, though, she really tested my suspension of disbelief. I'd hope that police would do a better job of catching Joe when he trips up. Given his lack of emotional control, it's unlikely that he'd be able to commit this number of murders without giving himself away: bragging about it, making a major mistake, etc. I also wasn't fond of the POV, even though it was definitely the best way to tell this story. I don't think I'll read any more of the author's work, but this was a pretty solid effort for the most part.

message 3: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
At first it was creepy being inside Joe's head and hard to get used to the POV. Then I found myself thinking he was the nicest out of all the characters and had to keep reminding myself he was a murdering psychopath. I'm glad it generated some good discussion and overall thought it was worth reading.

Michelle Holden | 115 comments Just finished this one after a week of hiatus lol. It's a three star for me as I just found the bad language too grating. I thought Beck was a queen bee hatch and joe was a murdering psychopath but still the nicer person!! The ending let it down I thought as it was just too neat - will joe ever get caught?

Sarah Looks like most of us gave it 3 stars then!

Larissa | 270 comments At first I thought that Joe getting away with multiple murders was unrealistic, but then I look at the rate of unsolved murders in reality. Life ain't CSI and Law and Order, apparently! :-\

I enjoy dark stuff like Gilliam Flynn and Hannibal, so this was right up my alley. I really like that YOU reinvents or at least pushes the artistic boundaries of the Unreliable Narrator. I am really impressed that Kepnes was able to keep the 1st/2nd pov going the whole time. The characters may have been annoying, but I think that helped make the audience complicit in Joe's crimes (you know you wanted Peach dead!). Also, I thought the plot took many unexpected turns, even if Beck's murder seemed inevitable.

Someone posted that this might have a follow-up or be part of a series? ...Huh. Iiiidunnnnoww... It's so hard to keep the magic going. Some series continue to be truly inventive (the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke and the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher come to mind). This group's recent read DAY THREE has a completely unexpected sequel (so much so that the connection between books is only apparent at the end).

But maybe like the Dexter books, I'll get a few enjoyable reads. Dexter though had the luxury of being in a crime lab that investigated murders; I'm not sure a dude working at a bookstore will have enough variety of experience to keep me interested. Still Kepnes clearly has a good imagination, so I may check out her future work.

Larissa | 270 comments I'm giving this 4 stars (4.5 if I could) and recommending this to the Stephen King/Gilliam Flynn readers I know. Glad I read it! Since joining this group, I've enjoyed both books we've read. Wonder what's next? ☺

message 8: by Kerri (last edited Aug 24, 2015 12:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kerri At first I was totally creeped out by Joe and considered not finishing the book when I had only just begun. I persevered and really started to enjoy it, up until probably the halfway mark. The continual complaining of Joe and Beck and all their masturbation and sex was too much for me. It became too repetitive for me so I got bored with it. I got tired of being inside Joe's head and think I would have enjoyed it more if at least some of the story was written from a different point of view. I don't think I will be reading anymore in the series, unless someone who rates books similarly to me loves it, only gave this one 3 stars.

Sarah It seems that most of us gave it 3 stars and felt the exact same way at the same points in the book.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I listened to the audio version of this book, which may have helped me enjoy it more. I like Larissa love dark books - love, love them, and listening to Joe tell this story helped to put him in my head.

I agree with Joe getting away with so many murders so far is a bit of a stretch - but people get away with murders a lot - don't forget the show Dateline! They did eventually get caught and I think Joe will as well depending on how far the author goes with him.

I didn't think there were any "low" parts to the story, when Joe was with Karen, I think that showed his "normal" side and made you think can Joe have a normal relationship? He could never have had a normal relationship with Beck though, because he was obsessed with her, even though, in his head he thought they could have that which even included marriage.

But Beck had her own list of problems which Dr. Nicky pointed out in his first few sessions with her.

I think I'm in the minority as far as this book goes and I gave this book 4 stars. I can't wait to see what the author does with Joe in the next book!

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 7 comments I loved this book so much. I also loved Stolen by Lucy Christopher which is a great read to begin next if you loved You. It's in the same vein, but toned way down, as it may be more for the YA audience.

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 7 comments Also, I'd really like to know what Stephen King thought of practically being a character in this book!

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 7 comments And I wonder if anyone's has told Dan Brown about it!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments LOL Kelly! I will check out Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Kandice Did anyone else notice Joe's mentioning he had been fed by his Boss (can't think of the name right now) through the bars of the cage?! Why?

Maybe that's something that will be addressed in the next in the series. Not sure finding out is enough to make me read it, though. This was ok, but the sex was a little over the top. I'm not a prude, but it got boring.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Mr. Mooney put Joe in the cage because Joe let a rare book get stolen because he left it out of the cage and a lady took it. I don't remember how long Joe was in the cage, but long enought that Mr. Mooney had to feed him while he was there.

Kandice Linda wrote: "Mr. Mooney put Joe in the cage because Joe let a rare book get stolen because he left it out of the cage and a lady took it. I don't remember how long Joe was in the cage, but long enought that Mr...."

Somehow I forgot that, but now I remember.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stolen (other topics)