Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

The Three (The Three, #1)
This topic is about The Three
May-Jun 2015 The Three > May-Jun 2015 General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
This is for general discussions about this book. No spoiler, please.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I picked up my copy from the library the other day and will start reading it when I'm finished my current print book.

Michelle Holden | 115 comments I read this book in June last year when it was nominated. Enjoyed the book but too soon to read again. I will pitch in with thoughts as and when I have my memory jogged though.

Larissa | 270 comments Just started this last night. I really like it so far. The premise is really intriguing, the description of the plane flight was both harrowing and tragic, and the use of such "found objects" (articles and excerpts from other books written about the event) was a nice dose of verisimilitude.

Anyone else started yet?

Michelle Holden | 115 comments Hi I really enjoyed the articles and excerpts used in the book - they continue throughout. It really adds to the story. I found the crash harrowing and creepy - I think you will really like how the recorded message gets interpreted ... Or maybe not lol

Larissa | 270 comments I'd be hard-pressed to interpret that recorded message in any way other than as belonging in a Stephen King book! (

I don't know why, but it reminded me of It's Pennywise the Clown saying "They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!"

CREEPY!

Michelle Holden | 115 comments IT is one of my favourite books and films. Very creepy and as always character development is amazing. I've already read Three but am interested to stay in the discussion as I really enjoyed it. Will look forward to hearing your later thoughts.

message 8: by Debra (new) - added it

I should be starting this one soon. Glad to see a few folks participating.

Larissa | 270 comments And it seems I've gotten 2 classrooms interested in reading this book too. Sadly, I teach at a fairly poor district, so I doubt they'll be running out to buy it, but we had a great discussion about it today in two different classes.

message 10: by Debra (new) - added it

That's a shame your classroom folks may not be able to get the book. Glad you had a good discussion though, Larissa.

Larissa | 270 comments I'm blowing through this thriller so fast, I'm wrecking my plans to comment in each of the section threads. Already on part 4. Wonder how long it can maintain this level of tension with characters all over the world?

Larissa | 270 comments Anybody else sensing that some of the author's characters are a blatant wink and nod at real people, e.g. certain presidents, celebrities, tech company CEOs? :)

message 13: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I bought it on Kindle so will join in although I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Larissa | 270 comments For a while I was thinking that the weird children were a bit of a cliché retread, but when things start happening TO them, I wondered where in the world this could be going. And then that last page---WHAT?!???!? No idea where this might continue as a series, more politics, horror, scifi, or all of these. It makes me think of Under the Dome in that respect.

Kristin | 38 comments My copy just came in from Amazon. Hoping to start it next week :)

message 16: by Debra (new) - added it

I started yesterday. Will start making comments in the spoilers threads.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I just found out my library has this book on audio! yay!! I should be able to start next week, I need to finish my current audio book..... The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

message 18: by Debra (new) - added it

Excellent, Linda!

Larissa | 270 comments Linda, I'll be interested to hear if the audio book is good too. I wonder if they use a cast of actors, like in WWZ--that would make it seem even more real.

message 20: by Sharon (last edited May 11, 2015 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon Started The Three yesterday and am already hooked! Was late getting to it because I just finished The Troop which I know you guys all read earlier (before I joined the group) - have to say I was really disappointed with The Troop, but so far The Three is looking good!!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I started the book the other day but haven't gotten very far into it yet. Intriguing!!

message 22: by Debra (new) - added it

Yay, Janice!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I started this one a little bit yesterday on my way home from work, I'm listening to the audio version. Does anyone know if this book is based on a true story, this is why I thought that...(view spoiler)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Linda wrote: "I started this one a little bit yesterday on my way home from work, I'm listening to the audio version. Does anyone know if this book is based on a true story, this is why I thought that...[spoiler..."

This is purely fiction.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me Janice....

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 1 comments Has anyone read Stephen's novel "Duma Key?" I did about 7 years ago. Seems to be a sleeper in that I don't seem to see anyone talking about it, picking it as a favorite, etc. When I read it, it pulled me right in, I found it fascinating, and, now that I live in Florida and a family member has bought a condo on the Keys, more so. I also recommend his novel, "Thinner", written under the name Richard Bachman. I was driving thru Camden, Maine, when the movie was being filmed, and saw actors dressed as gypsies. Found the paperback in Bar Harbor, ME - A must read for "King" fans.

Sharon Lizburke wrote: "Has anyone read Stephen's novel "Duma Key?" I did about 7 years ago. Seems to be a sleeper in that I don't seem to see anyone talking about it, picking it as a favorite, etc. When I read it, it ..."

I loved both Duma Key and Thinner, read them both a few years ago now. I'm under the impression that a lot of King fans didn't particularly like Duma Key much for some reason.

message 28: by Delores (new)

Delores | 11 comments Yes, I loved Duma Key, and while I can't say it is my favorite, or second or third favorite, I did enjoy it. I, too, live in Florida and lived in the Florida Keys for a while, so could relate to some of the "atmosphere" of the story. I have heard a couple of readers say it is a little slow, but I don't mind investing my time in any work by SK because I know it will be worth while in the end!!

message 29: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I bought it specially for this group read but for some reason it isn't calling to me now. I'm still planning on reading this - I just need a kick up the bum. Way too many good books to read at the moment.

message 30: by Delores (new)

Delores | 11 comments So true, so many books, so little time. I do like audible as it allows me to "read" while doing other chores, but I still like to sit up in bed and read way after my bedtime!! Audible allows me to read a couple extra books each month! Have you tried it??

message 31: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I use the audiobooks from my library for free. I enjoy them but still prefer reading on my kindle so prefer to spend my money on that format. since starting listening to audiobooks, I read maybe one or two more books a month than I used to. I've been in a bit of a reading slump and I have to be in the right mood for a book at the moment.

message 32: by Debra (new) - added it

You've still got time, Sarah. Plus, you can always post your comments after the group read time-frame is over.

I thought Duma Key was awesome. I've read it twice. Don't know why more people haven't commented favorably on it.

Missy | 128 comments I enjoyed Duma Key as well. It may have been a little slower paced, but so is life there. I assumed that was on purpose.

message 34: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Thanks Debra.

message 35: by Debra (new) - added it

Read the sequel Day Four. There is a definite tie-in to the first book, mostly at the end. It's definitely worth the read, but be prepared to be grossed out about a ship with people getting a noro virus, no running toilets, etc.