Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

The Three (The Three, #1)
This topic is about The Three
May-Jun 2015 The Three > May-Jun 2015 Overall Impressions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Put your general impressions here.

Alison Sumprer | 3 comments This book was so creepy. I don't even know what to think about the ending, when the author character travels to Japan. I did like how it was written as a nonfiction book with first person interviews and news stories, though. I felt like it increased the drama.

message 3: by Debra (new) - added it

This book reminded a bit of World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War in the way it was laid out in separate interviews and articles told from different points of view. It ends with a lot of unanswered questions, but that is part of the appeal. You are left asking WHAT really happened... aliens, 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, possession... what were those children? Some subtle creepy moments. An interesting and entertaining read.

message 4: by Janice (last edited May 20, 2015 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I finished the book last night and will rate it 3 stars. I feel that I wasn't any further ahead in knowing what was going on at the end than I was at the beginning. We knew right off the bat that something wasn't right about the three. At the end, there are still huge questions about what they were. I can only surmise that they are some kind of immortal being who replay this scenario out of malicious amusement. They could be ghosts, spirits, demons, aliens... nothing is really identified.

I agree that it was creepy in many ways. The suicide forest in Japan is definitely creepy and intriguing. I had never heard of it. I can imagine all the stories that must come from it. Japan has a rather unique style in telling ghost stories.

I didn't care for all the religious fanaticism in this book. Maybe that was part of the reason I rated it lower than the rest of you.

Michelle Holden | 115 comments I rated this one five stars as flew through it. I am not sure what I think about the loosely linked sequel as its on my TBR list. I actually thought the religious fanaticism was played out exactly as I thought it would go if anything like this actually happened but in an OTT way so I kind of liked that.

message 6: by Debra (new) - added it

It seems that many books put down born again Christians and write their roles as bad guys and very fanatical. I realize that there ARE Christians like that, but it does bother me that that is the type of Christian shown in a lot of horror books.

That's why I like the Merrily Watkins series. The author addresses theology and spiritualism in a very intelligent and insightful way.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I agree about Merrily, Debra.

Michelle Holden | 115 comments Is there a book for June or is the next one July?

message 9: by Debra (new) - added it

The next one is July, Michelle. We take 2 months to read one book. That way people don't get too overwhelmed with their TBR lists.

message 10: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1094 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "Is there a book for June or is the next one July?"

July has been chosen, however.

It will be You by Caroline Kepnes.

message 11: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Much of the religious aspect was presented through egotistical religious extremists, with hatred of minority groups as part of thier twist, to force conformity.

But don't forget there were members of the congregation that had decent values. They recognized that Len was going off the deep end and stopped participating in his meetings. They took care of their community members, even the sinners!

message 12: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

This book could be frustrating because my speculation about the children was addressed only by speculation by the book's characters themselves. The final answer is still left up to the reader. A unique ending.

I also thought its method of forwarding the plot with testimonials, newspaper articles, and official reports, instead of storytelling was unique.

A good book club discussion piece.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments There was lots of ambiguous information in the book which generates good discussion.

message 14: by Debra (new) - added it

I agree. We all did a lot of wondering and speculating while reading this one!

message 15: by Linda (last edited Jun 28, 2015 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I still have mixed emotions about this book, I can't decide if I liked it or not. I listened to the audio version, maybe I need to read it later - just to see if I feel differently about it.

There was a lot of unanswered questions, I think in my mind I believe that the children were aliens, that they really died in the plane crash and the aliens took them up to their space ship to have a body to put them in and then sent them back down to be found, why this happened - I don't have a clue??? There was a lot of parts that I really enjoyed and parts that I did not.

I think Paul was one of my favorite characters, he knew something was wrong with Jess right away but no one would believe him.

Another one of my favorite characters was Pastor Len's wife - not totally sure why - but she finally did see thru his bull and left him, I felt sorry for her because she was not a happy person.

I was proud of Ryu for getting brave enough to come out of his room and to try to make a life for himself, even though he ended up taking his life.

So I think my rating on this book will be a 2, for me it was just so so.

message 16: by Debra (new) - added it

Sorry you didn't like the book so much. At least it generated a lot of discussion. Left us with tons of questions, too!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments yes it did - and that is a good thing.