Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

The Three (The Three, #1)
This topic is about The Three
May-Jun 2015 The Three > May-Jun 2015 Part Nine to the End (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Put your comments about this section here.

Sharon Firstly I don't understand why The Three has got such a low rating on GR? I've really enjoyed it and am sorry it's over, lol.

Mind you I was a little disappointed with a couple of things near the end, one being the very brief mention of Pastor Len and the Sannah County Massacre, I would have liked a bit more information about how that went down.

Turns out that Chiyoko really was an Ice Princess, poor Ryu - that was definitely a one-sided relationship!

I was actually surprised that the children were all killed, even though of course they are not actually 'dead'! I thought that in the case of Jess (a truly creepy child) Paul would be discovered just in time while attempting to kill her and carted off to the asylum!

As for the children themselves - what exactly were/are they? I'm not sure I know what to call them?

I'm looking forward to the sequel, even though I have read that it's not really a proper sequel after all.

Larissa | 270 comments I agree with you, Sharon: I don't get the low ratings. But to each his own. Maybe the format throws people who like a more linear narrative, more traditional storytelling? That's why I like it even more. I think the book would lose a lot without it.

Larissa | 270 comments I get the impression that just because the children are "dead", it doesn't mean we won't see them again, especially after that ending. Can they manipulate time??? Are they some kind of higher being or alien?? I hope it doesn't go all cuckoo in the next book!

Larissa | 270 comments I was very disappointed and a little confused by the outcome of the Ice Princess story.

Sharon Larissa wrote: "I was very disappointed and a little confused by the outcome of the Ice Princess story."

Yes I didn't think the Chiyoko/Ryu storyline really ended satisfactorily either, everything seemed a little rushed towards the end with the whole book I thought, even though I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Debra (last edited May 20, 2015 05:53AM) (new) - added it

Pastor Len and the Sannah County Massacre definitely was something I would have also liked to have read more about.

I agree that it was sad the Ryu was so misled by Chiyoko. Wonder where she is.

I don't think the next book in the series will tell us much to give us any answers to all our questions. It's description doesn't seem to have much to do with the first book. Wonder if the layout is the same.

Yes, are the children truly dead or were they just aliens from another dimensions. Has all this happened before? Interesting things to think about, but so few answers.

I gave the book a 4 rating and also don't understand why it hasn't gotten better ratings/reviews. Perhaps it's the layout. Too many unanswered questions? Not sure about what it is that people didn't like about it.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I had a thought that I need to put down before I read this thread or I'm in danger of forgetting it! LOL!

I found it interesting that Elsbeth had perceptions of what people looked like, and then when she met them in person, they were very different. Paul for example was obese. (One has to wonder if he was replacing food for alcohol since he was institutionalized and wouldn't have access to booze.) The other notable one was Chiyoko who seemed to decline in many ways - smoking, slothful, filthy. That seemed so out of character from how she was presented earlier in the book.

Michelle Holden | 115 comments It's a while since I read this book but I thought that Ryu got mixed up between the frumpy girl and the babe. All the way through you think it was the babe from the photo but actually it was the other. This probably explains why in the end the Ice Princess turns out to be so totally different to expectations

message 10: by Debra (last edited May 20, 2015 01:50PM) (new) - added it

You are probably right about Paul. He was an addict at heart and had to have something to numb his inner pain. I can certainly relate to that, as I use food in that way too.

Yeah, Michelle I do think Ryu was definitely deceived by the Ice Princess. She was the frumpy one... am I right?

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Michelle wrote: "It's a while since I read this book but I thought that Ryu got mixed up between the frumpy girl and the babe. All the way through you think it was the babe from the photo but actually it was the ot..."

That never even occurred to me! That puts a bit of a spin on things, doesn't it?

Sharon Oh Debra, I can so relate to using food for comfort lol!

Michelle Holden | 115 comments Yeah I think Ryu sees the picture and assumes the ice princess is the pretty one and she never corrects him. That's why she is so unlike the picture we have in our mind when we finally meet her.

Sharon But at the same time, even though Chiyoko may not have been the girl Ryu pictured physically, they still had a connection whilst talking on the net, and then when they actually met in person. He was seen at one point kissing her. So for me it still doesn't quite add up how cold she was really.

message 15: by Debra (last edited Jun 01, 2015 09:44AM) (new) - added it

Sharon wrote: "Oh Debra, I can so relate to using food for comfort lol!"

Yep! I'm sure many can relate to that one.

message 16: by Debra (new) - added it

The Ryu/Chiyoko stuff was a bit confusing to me. Maybe I was reading too fast at that point. Sharon's right, some of it just didn't add up.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I can't decide if they are aliens that take over the bodies of the dead, or if they are ghosts that possess the bodies of the dead.

I just had a thought come crashing in. If they take over a body at the time of death, maybe Chiyoko is dead. She and Ryu presumably went into the forest to commit suicide. Maybe she was possessed at the time of her death. It would explain why they never found her body. It would explain the inconsistencies in personality. She could be giving Elsbeth what she wanted - answers. I guess you could explain away the pregnancy in that the entity accepts the body in its current state (which is why Jess had burns).

message 18: by Debra (new) - added it

Interesting point, Janice. Ghosts... hmmmm.

Sharon It's interesting how we all interpret things a little differently, I haven't really thought seriously 'aliens', my thoughts have been ghosts and spirits more than anything. And that's a good point Janice about Chiyoko and her personality 'change'.

I think I need to buy some post it notes and mark things in books as I read, I tend to read the whole thing and then try and remember what I was thinking, lol. Post-it notes onto the shopping list!

message 20: by Debra (new) - added it

Sharon, I have post-it notes and have been known to keep a note pad by me, but in this one I just didn't want to stop reading long enough to make notes. Fortunately, I remembered enough and others' comments have jogged my memory.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Debra wrote: "Sharon, I have post-it notes and have been known to keep a note pad by me, but in this one I just didn't want to stop reading long enough to make notes. Fortunately, I remembered enough and others'..."

I call those good intentions. I have post-it notes, highlighters, note pads but I rarely use them. I really appreciate ebooks for that because it's so easy to use the built in highlighter and note feature.

Kristin | 38 comments Just finished it. As of right now all I can say it that it was different. An interesting take on this style of story.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I had a bit of the same reaction, Kristin. I had to let it percolate a bit before I could formulate my thoughts and impressions.

message 24: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 28, 2015 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Larissa wrote:

"What the heck was with that ending??? Did the "children" (aliens???) make the crash from Ch1 happen multiple times until it went the way they wanted?? In one version, there is no recording, and in another version there is?? I swear these kids are like Children of the Corn!

message 25: by Debra (last edited May 28, 2015 01:07PM) (new) - added it

"Larissa wrote:

"What the heck was with that ending??? Did the "children" (aliens???) make the crash from Ch1 happen multiple times until it went the way they wanted?? In one version, there is no recording, and in another version there is?? I swear these kids are like Children of the Corn! ..."

The Children of the Corn reference is very appropriate.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Almeta wrote: "Larissa wrote:

"What the heck was with that ending??? Did the "children" (aliens???) make the crash from Ch1 happen multiple times until it went the way they wanted?? In one version, there is no ..."

I missed Larissa's original question. It's a possibility. That's kind of like Life After Life in a way. I got the feeling that this was more their M.O., not that they "rewound the crash" until they got it the way they wanted, but that once they played this game they'd look for a new game.

message 27: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice wrote: "I missed Larissa's original question..."

Actually it got moved from one of the earlier segments, because she meant to post here instead.

message 28: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This seems like such an odd section in the division of the book. Things start out with Ryu and Chiyoko actually getting together and Bobby's family doing well. Paul sinking into madness. Kenneth found.

But a few paragraphs later Bobby's dead from an automobile accident, Hiro and family are murdered, Ryu and Chiyoko apparently commit suicide, Paul stabs Jess to death trying to remove an alien chip from her body. Kenneth is declared a fraud. AND inexplicably Pastor Len's congregation is dead instead of launching an army. (You are right Sharon, I also would have liked a bit more information about how the Sannah County Massacre went down.)

Here's my thought: They were killed by those high-level preachers and the election winner. (I can't remember their names.) That way they could start their own "Army for Morality" and Len would get none of the credit. After all they had already stolen the Horsemen of the Apocalypse from him!

I experienced a bit of a mental jolt when editor's notes were presented way before the book's finish. That's when I was reminded that I was reading a book inside the book: From Crash to Conspiracy by Elspeth Martins.

message 29: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon wrote: "Turns out that Chiyoko really was an Ice Princess, poor Ryu - that was definitely a one-sided relationship! ..."

But you know, I don't really feel sorry for Ryu. He got out of his room, developed extremely supportive internet friends, successfully found his love, and never really had to experience the truth about her cold ways.

message 30: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice wrote: "I found it interesting that Elsbeth had perceptions of what people looked like, and then when she met them in person, they were very different. ..."

Elsbeth becomes just as unreliable a witness as the witnesses she presents. She does seem to lead us around to her liking a bit. She admits later to editing some of the statements that were made. Could she have removed things we may have wanted to know? Near the end she keeps apologizing to Sam, who apparently questioned her motives in releasing the book as sensationalism.

message 31: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debra wrote: "Yeah, Michelle I do think Ryu was definitely deceived by the Ice Princess. She was the frumpy one... am I right? ..."

Yeah but that was his and his internet friend's mistake. When Ryu finally met the real girl, he didn't care. He felt that they were soul mates, had so much in common, talked for hours, etc.

The Ice Princess may have been a much better actor than Paul!

message 32: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice wrote: "I can't decide if they are aliens that take over the bodies of the dead, or if they are ghosts that possess the bodies of the dead...."

Funny I immediately dismissed the messengers from God theory, could not buy the alien theory, but am willing to accept the ghost scenario.

Remember the comment from Chiyoko that spirits remove their shoes before entering heaven so as not to track mud in?...and therefore infers why you see no feet on the dark figures.

message 33: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice wrote: "I just had a thought come crashing in. If they take over a body at the time of death, maybe Chiyoko is dead. She and Ryu presumably went into the forest to commit suicide. Maybe she was possessed at the time of her death. It would explain why they never found her body. It would explain the inconsistencies in personality. She could be giving Elsbeth what she wanted - answers. I guess you could explain away the pregnancy in that the entity accepts the body in its current state (which is why Jess had burns). ..."

I LIKE IT! That would mean Ryu was not deceived. That they were both truly in love. That, in the Forest of Trees, a doppelganger really was speaking through the android in her cabin . I LIKE IT!

message 34: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited May 29, 2015 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay, I have one last question.

Where did Elsbeth Martins go?

I recall that the editor made some comment about the last thing heard from her, before she disappeared.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Almeta wrote: "Remember the comment from Chiyoko that spirits remove their shoes before entering heaven so as not to track mud in?...and therefore infers why you see no feet on the dark figures. ..."

Good catch!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ohhhh I missed that part Almeta! Maybe that is how the second book is going to be introduced.

message 37: by Debra (new) - added it

Nope, the 2nd book seemingly has nothing to do with the first book in the beginning, but slowly things happen to tie in to it.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Did you enjoy the 2nd book Debra? Do you think it is worth the time to read it???

Larissa | 270 comments I enjoyed the 2nd book even though there is pretty much no tie to the 1st book until the end. If you think you'd like a How to Survive the Worst Cruise Ship Ever book, then go for it! :)

message 40: by Debra (new) - added it

Linda wrote: "Did you enjoy the 2nd book Debra? Do you think it is worth the time to read it???"

I thought it was well-written and interesting. All the sickness on the ship made me a bit queasy. The author makes it very clear how horrible conditions were on the ship. I really liked the eventual tie-in to the first book.