Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > author name

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira (goodreadscommiss_ivonne) | 98 comments Once upon a time, it appears, The Memory Garden was published with the author as "M. Rickert." However, these days, the book has the author's full name, Mary Rickert, on the cover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Should I go back and ADD the name Mary Rickert as if it were a co-author so the book will turn up in a search? I realize I would need to do it to every edition, but I don't know what the protocol is.

Cheers, Ivonne

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments It should be added to all the editions that have her full name on the cover. For the editions that have just the initial it's optional.

message 3: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira (goodreadscommiss_ivonne) | 98 comments lethe wrote: "It should be added to all the editions that have her full name on the cover. For the editions that have just the initial it's optional."

Will do!

message 4: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira (goodreadscommiss_ivonne) | 98 comments OK, this is Twilight Zone weird. I add the name Mary Rickert to the books, save it, and then it disappears. That's never happened to me before....

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Oh yes, I've had that sort of thing happen as well. Sometimes it is because the names are too similar, but M. and Mary should be different enough in my view.

With names that are too similar you first have to add a fake name that you are sure doesn't exist in the database yet, and then you can change that name to the correct one.

message 6: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira (goodreadscommiss_ivonne) | 98 comments lethe wrote: "Oh yes, I've had that sort of thing happen as well. Sometimes it is because the names are too similar, but M. and Mary should be different enough in my view.

With names that are too similar you fi..."

Thanks! I thought it was odd because, in one case, I also added the narrator, but that went though just fine.

message 7: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira (goodreadscommiss_ivonne) | 98 comments lethe wrote: "Oh yes, I've had that sort of thing happen as well. Sometimes it is because the names are too similar, but M. and Mary should be different enough in my view.

With names that are too similar you fi..."

Worked like a charm! Thank you.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Great :)