Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > May's Book of the Month-Black Ice by Anne Stuart

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Living paycheck to paycheck in Paris, American book translator Chloe Underwood would give anything for some excitement and passion--even a little danger. So when she's offered a lucrative weekend gig translating at a business conference in a remote chateau, she jumps at the chance to shake things up.

Then by chance Chloe discovers her employers are anything but the entrepreneurs they appear, and suddenly she knows far too much. Her clients are illegal arms dealers, and one of them is ordered to kill her. But instead, Bastien Toussaint drags Chloe away, and the next thing she knows she's on the run with the most terrifying and seductive man she's ever met. What were his motives--and would she live long enough to find out?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am looking forward to this reread. This kept me on the edge of my seat.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments Wonderful! I have the new Anne Stuart book Consumed by Fire (The Fire Series, #1) by Anne Stuart as an ARC to read this month too. May is shaping up to be a good read month for me. I can't wait to read Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I just started it and so far so good

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I finished reading this book in one day. Well I have to say Anne Stuart is my new favorite author. This book kept me on the edge of my seat, and I can really empathize with Bastien on how burned out he must be, which for me is the crux of Chloe and his relationship. If he wouldn't have been so burned out he wouldn't have found the thing he was missing in Chloe.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments I just finished it and I found it a little to predictable for my taste. The jaded secret agent meets the sweet young thing, nasty things happen, he walks away. It read like a formula book, but a very good one.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments goes to show you, I don't read that many secret agent books. I still liked it and it makes me want to read more of her books. What did you like about it, Anita?

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments What did I like about it? How Chloe brought out all Bastian's protective urges, even with him fighting all the way. How he tried to let go, but couldn't. What I didn't like was that Hakim very well could have killed her while Bastian was dithering around. The way the Committee tried to kill Chloe as a way to bring Bastian back to the fold.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments If the Committee killed her I think Bastian would have gone ballistic and personally killed Thompson and anyone else that would have been responsible. Instead of bringing him back to the fold it would have totally ended their relationship.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am glad Thompson was killed

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments So am I. Any organization who claims to be the good guys has no business doing what he did and tried to do. I was really glad that Bastian followed his instincts even when in his mind he told himself he didn't care what happened.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments When someone quits caring who they hurt that is the time to get out. The part about the Committee reminded me so much of Homeland Security in the In Death books by J.D. Robb

message 13: by Anita (last edited May 16, 2015 08:37AM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments I have read some of the In Death books, a long time ago and not in order. As a matter of fact, I have Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb as my 3rd book for this month's pick it for me challenge. I start it today. I'm starting with the first book and am going to read to series in order.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I think that would be a terrific BOM pick. One of the things I like about the in death series is each book, with the exception of one or two, can be read out of order. That is how I started reading that series. I admit that it is better to at least read it one time in order because you do get more out of the series. However if you don't, for whatever the reason, you still can enjoy the story without being terribly lost

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments I hadn't read Naked in Death before and I was always curious how Eve and Roarke got together. The series is edgier than her other romances.

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments I am currently reading Consumed by Fire by Anne Stuart the first book in a new series by Anne Stuart. Same formula: jaded secret agent, sweet young thing. But, what can I say, the formula works!

message 17: by Jonetta (last edited May 19, 2015 03:06PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Anita wrote: "I hadn't read Naked in Death before and I was always curious how Eve and Roarke got together. The series is edgier than her other romances."

It's not considered romance, more mystery with romantic elements. When she first introduced it under her pseudonym and no one knew Nora was the writer, there never was a question and it was classified as mystery.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments But so many of them, you know the killer ahead of times. I just love how Eve not only figures the killer, but how she gets there and how she gets her man (or woman)

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1587 comments The In Death books are for sure nothing like the romances. They are even beyond the romantic-suspense books too. I can see why they are mystery genre. The guy who gave me my first 5 of them was a former Army Intelligence officer in South America, a hard boiled attorney and he loved them.

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Wow! That's a true testament to it being properly classified in the mystery genre.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Even after 20 years or so I still love the books, and I can't wait until each new one comes out