The Sword and Laser discussion

Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
This topic is about Wyrd Sisters
163 views
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #214 - Discworld's Inner Rage

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1702 comments Mod
Rucksack Universe Author and Pratchett Enthusiast, Anthony St. Clair joins us to wrap up our reading of Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters. Is Granny Weatherwax a conduit for Pratchett's righteous anger? Does Tom live next to Nanny Ogg? All these mysteries and more revealed.

https://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=...
http://swordandlaser.com/home/2015/4/...


message 2: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1702 comments Mod
Some of you will get a super special, limited edition title!


message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Some of you will get a super special, limited edition title!"

Diskworld's Hidden Anger? Yeah, I think the new title sounds better.


terpkristin | 4190 comments I listened live (but also downloaded the episode so you'd get download credit). I thought Anthony St. Clair's insights on Discworld were particularly interesting. I enjoyed the show. :)


Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments This was really fantastic. If you guys can, doing something like this say a couple times a year-- having an author on specifically to talk about another author-- would be really awesome. Especially someone as knowledgeable and passionate as St. Clair.


Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "This was really fantastic. If you guys can, doing something like this say a couple times a year-- having an author on specifically to talk about another author-- would be really awesome. Especially..."

It especially makes sense for older authors, ones who have been studied and have had scholarship done on their works. Like a Tolkien expert, for example. When the author's alive, though, it's probably polite to let them speak for themselves and their own work.


Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Fair. Unless they have new critic leanings, in which case they might prefer it.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

^ Or even have non-authors talk about sci fi and fantasy related topics. I really enjoyed the far away episode where they spoke about heavy metal's influence by Sci Fi and Fantasy. : )


Daniel K | 164 comments And more general topics and sci-fi history and analytics! It always rules!


message 10: by Tamahome (last edited May 01, 2015 11:21AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments There's only 5 or 6 people on the Arthur C. Clarke award jury, so to me that's very different from the Hugo's or Nebula's: http://www.clarkeaward.com/previous-a... John Scalzi actually told me on his blog comments that Arthur C. Clarke had a widely varied reading taste, not just hard science fiction like he wrote (because I was so surprised at the nominees).


message 11: by Ulmer Ian (last edited May 01, 2015 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments Joanna wrote: "When the author's alive, though, it's probably polite to let them speak for themselves and their own work"

Well I disagree entirely! Talking about the works of a particular author, living or dead, seems entirely fair.

Anyways this was a great episode. I'm probably biased since Discworld holds such a special place for me. Many of the threads were great too, I really enjoyed your comments actually Joanna. I was tempted to read one of them outloud at the book club but everyone was itching to go have dinner lol.


message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
I'm not finished yet, but this might be my favorite book discussiin episode. For just asking the internet for a volunteer, you guys seem to have really lucked out with Mr. St. Clair.

I hope you do this sort of thing again in the future.


Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Ulmer Ian wrote: "Joanna wrote: "When the author's alive, though, it's probably polite to let them speak for themselves and their own work"

Well I disagree entirely! Talking about the works of a particular author, ..."


Yay! Thank you! Discworld is my all-time favorite fantasy series.

I mean, sure, it's cool to talk about an author's books, but most of us don't get to ask questions directly to an author except through venues like this. It would be silly to invite, say, a hardcore Scalzi expert/fan if Scalzi himself is willing and available. That being said, I do like the history and sort of meta-analysis of this one.


message 14: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited May 01, 2015 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3608 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "you guys seem to have really lucked out with Mr. St. Clair."

I had a double take when I read that, until I realised that that phrase has the totally opposite meaning in the US. ;-) It means to be unlucky here.(Australia) (English is a complicated language)

I agree having a fan of the series was a great idea and would be good to have again in the future. If the author can't be interviewed.


message 15: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4078 comments I would love to see Larry Niven get this treatment for Known Space. Still time to interview him, and he even lives in Los Angeles...*cough*


message 16: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Ulmer Ian wrote: "Anyways this was a great episode. I'm probably biased since Discworld holds such a special place for me. Many of the threads were great too, I really enjoyed your comments actually Joanna. I was tempted to read one of them outloud at the book club but everyone was itching to go have dinner lol."

Never resist the urge to quote forum comments at the book club meetups! ;)


message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
Tassie Dave wrote: "Rob wrote: "you guys seem to have really lucked out with Mr. St. Clair."

I had a double take when I read that, until I realised that that phrase has the totally opposite meaning in the US. ;-) It ..."


Wow. That's interesting. Yeah. I definitely meant got lucky. I can see how it would be used to mean unlucky though.


Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments In the US we do say "out of luck" to mean unlucky. Which makes it even weirder that lucked out has a positive connotation. TO THE OED!


message 19: by Pôl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pôl | 23 comments Loved the show, but please: Do the new book kick-off and any other business BEFORE doing the book discussion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who listens to the podcasts as they're released, but holds off on listening to the book discussion until they've finished the book. Yes, sometimes I really do stop listening when you say "to avoid spoilers, stop listening now". :)


message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
Thanks for mentioning that Pôl. I do the same thing, and didn't realized this podcast kicked off the May book until I finished Wyrd Sisters and came back to this podcast for the wrap-up.

I think they used to do kick offs before wrap-ups on past podcasts, but often times they seem to be different podcasts lately. Or my memory is just bad. :)


Heino Colyn (hcolyn) | 9 comments Rob wrote: "I'm not finished yet, but this might be my favorite book discussiin episode. For just asking the internet for a volunteer, you guys seem to have really lucked out with Mr. St. Clair.

I hope you do..."


This was a great idea - it was also one of my favourite recent book discussion episodes! I think that it would've been cool to listen to even if you haven't had any adventures in the Discworld yet.


message 22: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1157 comments Mod
Pôl wrote: "Loved the show, but please: Do the new book kick-off and any other business BEFORE doing the book discussion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who listens to the podcasts as they're released, but hold..."

Yeah we usually do them in that order or in separate episodes. This was my fault. I put them in the wrong order in our lineup. Apologies.


back to top