Trail-Mix Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 282 comments Mod
1. Mystery/Thriller/Suspense- Tissue of Lies by Carole Parkes

2. Romance- Sylvia's Torment by Veronica Del Rosa

3. Fantasy/Paranormal/Supernatural-Soul Journey (Soul Series) by Miranda Shanklin

4. Science Fiction/Dystopian-The Forgotten Mission: The Return by Jonathan Taylor

5. Children and Young Adult-The Eye-Dancers by Michael S. FedisonMichael S. Fedison

6. Historical Fiction-The Harmony of Isis by Catherine M. Walter

7. General Fiction-The Spartak Trigger by Bryce Allen

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) Jessica wrote: "2. Romance- Sylvia's Torment by Veronica Del Rosa..."

Woo, I read this! Here's the review content from my personal profile:

Sylvia's Torment is a roller coaster of a Paranormal Romance, and damn, it was a great ride. This is my second read by author Veronica Del Rosa, with the first in the Enforcers and Coterie Series being my introduction to her, and she just keeps getting better. This action-packed story follows sexy Top Alpha Derek Quinlan as he searches for his abducted pack mate and loyal Beta, Sylvie.

He's a tough, unrelenting, shrewd leader who hunts down his missing lifemate with the same fierce tenacity that won him his position as the head of Toronto's packs. But as you read on you discover Derek is a study in contrasts. Despite his icy facade and all that power, the tenderness and adoration he shows for his woman as she recovers from a horrific ordeal is a refreshing character trait for an uber-alpha male in the PNR genre.

"Broken can be fixed."

And Sylvie is no doormat heroine. Her strength and fortitude gained my respect immediately and had me not only hoping Derek would finally reveal to her that they're meant to be, but that these two would catch a break for once! Enemies attacked our MC's from every angle from start to finish and I had my fingers crossed tightly for an HEA.

This is a well written, sensual tale featuring a couple who truly care for one another, and I highly recommend it.

message 3: by Jamie (last edited May 02, 2015 03:31AM) (new)

Jamie Campbell | 52 comments Just finished "The Spartak Trigger," and it's a tough one to explan. Take some "Danger Five," add in the Narrative style of Joe R Lansdale, combine with the surrealism of the Goon Show's "Six Charlies in search of as Author," and make the protagonist a combination of every negative stereotype immagineable - and you're about 5% of the way to explaining that the only question to be answered after reading this book is whether it's a horrible failure or a glorious act of genius - and all that in only 150 pages or so. A punch in the face of a book!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

It is unique, no doubt about that. I laughed my butt off at the comical scenes (my favorite was the phone call Bishop got while visiting a Russian bar). Personally, I vote for creative genius. This is certainly not a cookie-cutter novel.

message 5: by Jamie (last edited May 02, 2015 04:27PM) (new)

Jamie Campbell | 52 comments Not about any single cookie cutter at least. I gave each of the seven books for the month ten pages before making my choice. The thing was that the wt? moments all came after page ten - so I was expecting the sort of read the cover promised. Initially I hoped Bryce Allen wouldn't over play them - but by half way through I realised that I needed him to.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Fedison (msfvtnh) | 1 comments Thanks so much for featuring "The Eye-Dancers," Jessica! It is very much appreciated! I also just wanted to mention a promo. Should anyone want to check it out, please go here . . . https://eyedancers.wordpress.com/2015...

Thanks again!

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu J Whitley (blujay) | 29 comments Just bought Soul Journey, and it's climbing up my TBR list as fast as I can get through them :)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Michael, it was my pleasure. I'm going to post your interview later today or tomorrow. And Lu, Soul Journey is next on my list, too. So many great reads, so little time...

message 9: by Ryan (last edited May 13, 2015 07:09AM) (new)

Ryan Guy | 47 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Thanks so much for featuring "The Eye-Dancers," Jessica! It is very much appreciated! ..."

I finished it and with two more weeks to go in the May 2015 read, you can too. I'm giving away 3 eBook copies of The Eye-Dancers, so pick one up. You won't regret it. My review and giveaway info are here: Atomic Aardvark | The Eye-Dancers

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) Jessica wrote: "2. Romance- Sylvia's Torment by Veronica Del Rosa..."

Anybody else reading or that has read this one like to discuss?

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Ryan wrote: "Michael wrote: "Thanks so much for featuring "The Eye-Dancers," Jessica! It is very much appreciated! ..."

I finished it and with two more weeks to go in the May 2015 read, you can too. I'm givin..."

Ryan, I always look at the Atomic Aardvark posts just to see what your keyword is LOL. And Rachel, I'm going to try to read Sylvia's Torment and Soul Journey in two weeks. I'll let you know.

message 12: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Guy | 47 comments Mod
A charismatic leader of an 80's rock band once said, "Woah, we're half way there." Actually he sung it in one of his epic rock ballads, but I digress.

It's May 15 now. How is everyone coming with their May read? It's not too late to start. As moderator of the Children and YA Group I'm a bit biased, but if you haven't started a book yet, I highly recommend The Eye-Dancers.

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu J Whitley (blujay) | 29 comments Ryan wrote: "I finished it and with two more weeks to go in the May 2015 read, you can too. I'm giving away 3 eBook copies of The Eye-Dancers, so pick one up. You won't regret it. My review and giveaway info are here: Atomic Aardvark | The Eye-Dancers "

Starting Soul Journey next and just won The Eye-Dancers from Atomic Aardvark! Thanks Ryan! Whoohoo!

message 14: by Kelly (last edited May 15, 2015 04:21PM) (new)

Kelly Ilebode | 31 comments Just purchased Soul Journey by Miranda Shanklin and Tissue of Lies by Carole ParksCan't wait to read them :D

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Moss (goodreadscompaulacmoss) | 5 comments Hey Jessica.
Would it be possible to have Historical Romance as a category?
Thanks for the links - some great ideas for the reading list

message 16: by Jessica (new)

We do blended genres here all the time:). You can nominate either under historical fiction, romance, or both.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Campbell | 52 comments Just finished my review of "The Harmony of Isis."

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-rev...

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ilebode | 31 comments A bit behind but almost done and figured I am still in May so all is good :D I am a bit intimated by the way you all write reviews..... but will give it my best shot when the time comes :D

message 19: by Lu (new)

Lu J Whitley (blujay) | 29 comments Finished The Eye-Dancers and LOVED it!
Here's my review:
The Eye-Dancers

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenius05) | 279 comments Mod
I love all this wonderful feed back, you guys are amazing!

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Campbell | 52 comments With respect to the "The Harmony of Isis," I'd also like to add that the illustrations at the head of each chapter were nicely done. A really nice touch.