Dead of Winter (The Arcana Chronicles, #3) Dead of Winter discussion

The WTF ending *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kris Harte I just finished the book and read the WTF ending and wanted to know does anyone else think that Jack and Selena are really dead? Because I don't.

411Junkie Kris wrote: "I just finished the book and read the WTF ending and wanted to know does anyone else think that Jack and Selena are really dead? Because I don't."

I think Selena is for sure. There is speculation that Jack is the hidden Arcana so he's not dead, but I'm not so sure. That's not to say I think he's dead and gone, just that I don't know if he's actually Arcana. I kind of hope he isn't.

Rain As soon as I heard that the Emperor had yet to be awakened I thought it was Jack, then when they went to the mine in the last book I thought Jakes earth powers would awaken to save Evie. Then it didn't happen and in this book found out he was awful so then I thought it wouldn't be. I had suspicion he would be the Sun because his character is very sunny. I still thought Jack would be Arcana because he prides himself on being human almost and rattling his character is the kind of thing Kresley Cole would do. Then after seeing Jack lead the Militia, thought he's a good leader maybe he is the Emperor. After that ending I don't know. I think Selene is dead, and that she was the catalyst for The Emperor. I just don't know if Jack is dead. I hope not I really think he's what is going to help their planet regrow. Also i'm still weirdly in love with his character so there's that.

Kris Harte Glad I'm not alone in this. Because Selena does feel like she's gone but on the bright side Evie has a best friend spot open now for Circe.

Rain Yes! I am looking forward to more of Circe.

411Junkie I'm curious to see more of the Priestess as well. The next book is way too far away!

Kris Harte I know! I'm re reading Endless Knight and Dead of Winter again. I love this series

Rain I was just thinking about what Jack and Death represent to Evie, Jack is her humanity and Aric, (?? mind's gone on Deaths name) her potential power. If Jack really is dead then Evie will probably end up going full Red Witch and I don't think that's going to happen until after we meet Evie's grandmother...??? I'm really reaching here aren't I? :p

message 9: by Nan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nan "I just finished the book and read the WTF ending and wanted to know does anyone else think that Jack and Selena are really dead? Because I don't. "

- I think Selene is dead and Jack killed her - like a mercy kill to avoid hot lava suffering / torment. And I think that in aiding the death of his friend, Jack becomes Activated. My guess has always been that he is the Unactivated card. The one that doesn't know he is Arcana. There has been too many mentions of it and even Aric says to Jack "there's something not right about you"

message 10: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Harte Everyone says that about Jack but I'm hoping he's not Arcana or the Emporer simply because he's interesting and stands out not just because he's Evie's love interest but because he's the only human in the group. It would make him blend in more with the crowd of characters

411Junkie Kris wrote: "Everyone says that about Jack but I'm hoping he's not Arcana or the Emporer simply because he's interesting and stands out not just because he's Evie's love interest but because he's the only human..."

I'm on the same boat as you, Kris. I really hope Jack is just human. Knowing he's human, and just that, seems to level out the story to me. It makes it more realistic. If he turns out to be Arcana, I can live with that, but he'll loose some of his luster for me, lol.

Sayan I love this serie, still no info on the book 4 release?

I think Selena is dead, her last talk with Evie gave me the impression of a 'last speech'.

Jack and mindbreak? not really my believe. KC prepared the story from long, and prepared him to make an asset in the final run....

I would have love to see him revenge Selena.... probably not, he had the opportunity to revenge Chlotilde, and KC did not offer it.... probably not that important for KC

Evie, she will manage to become red witch, the full and complete without humanity. I expect Jack to turn her bach to the human Evie, but with more and more difficulty, as long the time passes

Aric, I see him falling for anothr girl to come... the wheel of fortuna? Somebody magic... sounds good for me

message 13: by Stephany (last edited Sep 30, 2015 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephany I didn't like the ending at all......I had been wanting Evie with Death the whole time. I wish Elizabeth would make an ending for Jack but also a separate ending for Evie with Death so both are happy. I cried when I read she chose Jack!
From other books I've read sadly I know that she wont choose Aric. I mean she FEELS his connection. Ugh! Emotions.....
Though there is hope....in fanfics Evie will be with Death. I'm not sure if I will read the fourth book with how this is looking. I wanted a character to end with the 'bad guy' for once. Death was perfect for her to me. Stupid Evie......

message 14: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I have read Book 4 is due in April or May of 2016. On her site, there is mention of 5 'set' books, yet in the interview link, there could be 6, with possible side stories...I.e. how Arthur, Guthrie, and the Devil got to be 'jerks'.

Did anyone ever consider that KC is using some mythology in her writing? I'm seeing the Persephone story in Endless Night (Aric 'holding' Evie).

Nabaa Nabil nah no way jack dies , im pretty sure they are meant for each other
selena i think is dead :( which is a shame
i dont know if jack is an arcana but ill be ok with both ways .
as long as evie dosent choose death , he is great but he is not her one ! she is different than the other times
so she wont choose him ( fingers crossed it would last that way )

message 16: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Another idea....

Anyone remember Aric telling Evie she 'has life in her very blood'? Think that she's going to help 'replenish' the vegetation?

Also, I read a post regarding PP, and how the first chapters dealt with 'life before Apocolypse', and how the first two hundred days of Post Apocolypse were glossed over. I have a feeling there is a reason for that....

message 17: by E.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E.S. Question:
Do you think KC has already determined who would win Evie's heart or is she going to allow us to pick the hero?

message 18: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I think she already has decided. I read an interview (link is on the Arcana site), and where she doesn't really say much, I sorta 'read' that.

Debbie Hagopian I don't know where I read it but the blurb stated that both Jack and Selena are killed but Jack is brought back to life and becomes the missing taro card for the Sun.

message 20: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Sorry, but The Sun Card has been taken already by some one else.

Debbie Hagopian Here's where I saw the blurb and related ones: https://wickedscribeskresleycole.word...
Scrolling way down, the first person (Ingrid) to mention stated:
Ingridd
APRIL 6, 2016 AT 10:24 PM
I got to say that Jack for sure is the hidden/dormant card. I’m pretty sure he is the sun card, which would explain Selena’s attraction to him because she is the moon… but also, if you remember, Jack would always say, “like a shadow” to Evie CONSTANTLY… I want to assume that is his call because the sun cast shadows, but I’m speculating…
Several others after agreed. I sure have no idea.

Marcia I believe that Selena is truly dead, but I'm not sure about Jack. Matthew said he "found peace with it" before he left. I thought Jack was the inactive card, but I also think/thought it was The Hanged Man... something about betrayal and sacrifice with that card. I also thought the Sun card was taken by someone else, but that is the other one that makes sense.

Matthew has given us so many clues and has often said "not a card" when speaking of Jack. So I just don't know!! In chapter 35 Matthew tells Evie "the miners are watching." I believe Matthew has informed Evie that "the Minors," like the minor cards are watching the game, and this is why not everything is as it seems.

With Jack dead (even if Evie only believe it,) then I believe Evie will go full on Red Witch. Will Death be able to bring her back? Evie has stated that she was captivated by Death (the card) since she was a little girl. I wonder why the author put such a powerful love interest into Jack if he turns out not to be a card and/or truly dead?

I just finished the reread of all 3 books, and can't wait for next week. I also read Day Zero which indicated that the Sun card is not Jack.

message 23: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Marcia, I swear that A. has said he 'can tell' when the minor cards are in play....in DOW. But, he didn't sense them in this game. Then again, he (A.) can be lying/fudging/conning us/Evie.

Re: Selena, could Matt have 'found peace' with her death? Remember he is sly like a fox......

Marcia Sue wrote: "Marcia, I swear that A. has said he 'can tell' when the minor cards are in play....in DOW. But, he didn't sense them in this game. Then again, he (A.) can be lying/fudging/conning us/Evie.

Re: Se..."

Yes, I did think that the "found peace" remark could have been relating to Selena. Matthew said so many things that I finally noticed in the reread that I just can't wait for the book next week. Also, now that you mention it, I do recall Death stating that he can sense Minors... so I'm not sure what to do about that niggling bit of info. I don't think he would lie about it per se, but he has been very distracted and really hates Jack so that could be clouding his feelings.

Do you think Matthew, the fool, has the same desire to win the game as the other players? If so, how does this color what we have seen in the first 3 books. I wonder if The Fool has ever won?

What do you think about the possiblity of Evie being reunited with her grandmother? I wasn't exatly surprised that Death procured her for Evie, but I can't help but think this would not be for his own personal benefit in anyway. The conversations Evie has recalled make it sound that her Grandmother will wholeheartly disapprove of an allinace with Death, no?

message 25: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Marcia, I do NOT trust A. in any way. If you recall in book 2, he mentioned he has other chronicles. In DOW, he 'procures', or rather grabs The Lovers book. Heck, A. had said in book 2 that Arabic and Hungarian are the hardest languages to learn for him.

Yet, with that information, I still think A. has his own agenda. Yes, he told Evie about Jack helping do in her mom. Why? So Evie would hate Jack! Matt did say 'He hurts when he helps', probably in regards to doing something like that.

And as for grandma? I believe Gram knows/senses A.'s true colours, and is using her as a hostage of sorts, to get what he wants.

Matthew? He's the smartest card. He has all the memories of previous games, and I doubt he'd play to win. Remember he uses no weapons?

message 26: by Debbie (last edited Aug 20, 2017 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbie Hagopian I've just had a strange idea while re-reading Dead of Winter...What if after the Lovers were eliminated and their chronicles taken, Evie learns how to clone herself like they did so that she can have an HEA with both Eric and Jack! Works for me!!

Marcia Debbie wrote: "I've just had a strange revelation while re-reading Dead of Winter. After the Lovers were eliminated and their chronicles taken, Evie learns how to clone herself so that she can have an HEA with bo..."

LIKE! Cole has already written in one threesome group, so why not this? I just wish we had some indication if and when there is going to be a final book!