Children's Books discussion

Fiction Club Archive > May 2015 - The Search for WondLa

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments Please join us in a Science Fiction read, the voters have chosen, The Search for WondLa. Very excited to read this with you.

message 2: by Pamela. (new)

Pamela. (bookeater77) | 2 comments happy to join

message 3: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6246 comments Mod
Lots of pages... illustrated? Graphic novel?
I've ordered it, hope to get a chance to read it...

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Meads | 94 comments It's a thick book with illustrations. I have this plus the companion book. I really liked the story and when you read it, you'll be surprised by the ending as I was.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Got it. Looks interesting.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll take a look thanks!

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments I started WondLa last night. While the book seems long... for me, it is reading relatively quickly. The illustrations are amazing.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments This book is surprising me so far.. Eva-Nine is starting to remind me of Katniss.. The story is moving right along.

message 9: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Done. I'm impressed by how much work the author put into it - but I felt like it was, indeed, work. It was chore for me to read it. I just don't feel the heart, the warmth, the authenticity of joy.... Maybe if he'd edited out about 80% of the occurrences of the word 'lanky' I would have liked it more.

Too bad the interactive element is no longer available. That looked like a fun gimmick.

I have no urge to read the sequels.

message 10: by Guen (new)

Guen (mothergoossen) | 2 comments My seven-year-old son and I got half way through the book. He lost interest. I don't know if I will finish it without him or not. Probably not.

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments I really enjoyed the author's Spiderwick series with my son, is there that level of creativity and interesting story line in this book?

message 12: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Hmm... I wasn't a big fan of Spiderwick... but I can say that in both book the author is thoroughly creative, attentive to detail, successful in avoiding cliches and overdone tropes. And both stories are quests for the kid heroes to find out more about the big & interesting worlds they've discovered... I'd guess fans of Spiderwick will indeed like (if not necessarily love) this book (and vice-versa).

message 13: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2322 comments Mod
I am a big science fiction fan, and I read Search for WondLa back in 2011, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the illustrations added a lot to the story, and I enjoyed following Eva-Nine's many adventures. I have also read both sequels to the book and enjoyed them just as much as the first book.

message 14: by Dena (new)

Dena McMurdie (batchofbooks) | 18 comments Jasmine wrote: "I really enjoyed the author's Spiderwick series with my son, is there that level of creativity and interesting story line in this book?"

My kids really like the Spiderwick series too. I was hoping the Wandla books would be good family reads. They are enormous books! I'm not sure my kids would make it through them. They're still pretty young.

message 15: by Guen (new)

Guen (mothergoossen) | 2 comments My son loved the Spiderwick series, we read all five books together. He liked the first half of Wondla but I think it was just too drawn out for him to get through it. We may get back to it when he is older. He is eight now.

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane | 69 comments Let me begin by saying that I am not a huge fan of Science-fiction. I enjoyed this story more than I thought I would. I am particularly fond of Otto. There was just something about his gentle character and demeanor that I am still thinking about today.
I'm not sure what age group this novel should be for. There is not enough action to keep older middle grade readers engaged and involved. Younger readers might not have the reading stamina to complete the novel.
Though I did enjoy the first book in the series, not sure if I will read anymore.

message 17: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited May 21, 2015 06:44PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2322 comments Mod
I did think that the story had enough action, strange extraterrestrials, and weird creatures to keep the interest of middle grade readers and middle school readers who are fans of science fiction and fantasy. I agree that this is not a story for younger children.

message 18: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments Spamming has been deleted.
Sorry for the intrusion.