David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Reading Challenges! > Pick It For Me Challenge: May/June

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited May 02, 2015 03:03AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Ok, sign ups are now closed! Here are your partners:

Katie and Oda
Heather and Tammie
Wattpadbookreader and Esther
Leigh and Holly
Joycedale and Melissa
Karen and Andrea

Shelves:

1. Jenny-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
2. Joycedale-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
3. Andrea-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
4. Katie-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
5. Karen- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
6. Leigh-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
7. Oda-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
8. Heather-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
9. Melissa-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
10. Tammie--https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
11. Holly-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
12. Wattpadbookreader-- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
13. Esther-- https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4...

***If you do not have access to your partner's shelf, please send a friend request to your partner!***
You now have one week to decide amongst yourselves how many books you will pick for each other, and to make those choices.

You can chat with your partner either here or by PM- PREFERABLY BY PERSONAL MESSAGE SO THAT THIS BOARD IS NOT CLUTTERED UP.

Either way, all of you MUST do a post on here this week that is similar to the example that I did on the first post:

My name: Jenny
My partner: Sarah
The books picked for me: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda
Cinder (read 3/16/2015)- 4 stars. Intriguing premise, great characters, and a really cool retelling that was unfortunately plagued by predictability.
The Hunt (read 3/28/2015)- 4 stars. The Hunt had lots of suspense, admirable lead characters, and kept me scared and nervous.

Note that you have until the end of June to read the books and edit/fill in the information/short review at the bottom. But by the end of this week the post should at least show the books that your partner has picked for you.
Have fun!

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jun 26, 2015 08:33AM) (new)

Melissa Lewitt | 57 comments My name: Melissa
My partner: Joycedale
The books picked for me:
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay read 5/28 5 stars. This book gave me a new inside into parts of WW2 that I was unaware of. It weaves two stores together. One in the past, and one in the present.This is a vey sad tale with a ,"little light and the end of the tunnel" kind of feel to it. Side note: on the back cover is said something abut it will make you cry. I thought nan I hardy ever cry when reading a book. I was wrong the very end moved me to tears.
Unraveling (Unraveling, #1) by Elizabeth Norris read 5/6 4 stars. This book hit close to hone literately. It takes place in San Diego so, I was very familiar with the locations in this book. The beginning was annoyingly slow but the plot picked around the middle of the book. Enjoyed it enough to want to read the sequel.
Plague (Gone, #4) by Michael Grant read 6/26 5 stars. It been so long since I've read the books before this one. To refresh my memory I read the summary's of the two books before it. It helped but there where still a few this that I did not remember. Once I started reading this book I had hard time putting it down. Vey suspenseful and intense. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Jenny, who's picking for YOU??! I will, I will!! ;-P

message 4: by ☆Joycedale☆ (last edited Jun 16, 2015 09:10AM) (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments My name: Joycedale
My partner: Melissa
The books she picked for me;
UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman
In My Dreams by Cameo Renae 4 stars This was a great story about love even after death
Slave (Finding Anna, #1) by Sherri Hayes 3 stars I didn't really like Stephen. Brianna really needed help but he refused to take her to a professional insisting he could help her instead.
Creation by Kat Mellon 4 stars The beginning of this book is very confusing but when we start getting explanations it was awesome.

message 5: by Karen’s Library (last edited Apr 30, 2015 12:22AM) (new)

Karen wrote: "Jenny, who's picking for YOU??! I will, I will!! ;-P"

Edit: Eva missed the sign up by minutes. She should be your partner. :)

message 6: by Leigh (last edited Jun 24, 2015 08:52AM) (new)

Leigh | 403 comments My name: Leigh
My partner: Holly
The books picked for me:
A Cold Dark Place (Cold Justice, #1) by Toni Anderson 6/2 **** Well written. Plenty suspense and action. The MC, Mallory, was a strong heroine who wanted justice for her sister's kidnaper/killer. I enjoyed it and will read the next story in the series.
Wicked (A Wicked Saga, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout 5/5 **** I enjoyed the story and what a cliffhanger. Tink was such a cute character.
Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown 6/24 ***** I wasn't sure I would like this read, but I loved it. Darrow was an interesting MC. What a transformation he went through! His character and beliefs, were seriously tested. I will definitely be reading the next book.

message 7: by Andrea (last edited Jun 26, 2015 04:21PM) (new)

Andrea (alexandra14) | 218 comments My name: Andrea
My partner:Karen
The books picked for me: Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers

Read: Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover gave it 4 stars, but for me it feels like a 3.5. I just didn't like it as a thought I would.
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth gave it 2 stars. I'm so disappointed.

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Karen wrote: "Karen wrote: "Jenny, who's picking for YOU??! I will, I will!! ;-P"

Edit: Eva missed the sign up by minutes. She should be your partner. :)"

I told her we can partner :) If not, you can pick for me Karen, I'm good with that :)

message 9: by Kela Esther (last edited May 06, 2015 11:18AM) (new)

Kela Esther | 101 comments My name: Esther
My partner: Wattpadbookreader

The books picked for me: Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver

message 10: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Tackett Heather picked for me Glow (Sky Chasers, #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

and i picked for Heather Talon (Talon, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (sassifras) My name: Katie
My partner: Oda
The books picked for me: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich and UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1) by Chanda Hahn

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 06, 2015 08:50AM) (new)

My Name: Oda
My partner: Katie

The books picked for me: Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg and Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4) by Christopher Paolini
I finshed take a bow,abselutely love it. planning on reading inheritance in the last days of june.

message 13: by Karen’s Library (last edited Jun 11, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

Well crap, trying to edit and deleted my original post. *facepalm*

My name: Karen
My partner: Andrea

Books picked for me:
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell Read 5/25, rated it 4 stars. Again, not a big fan of contemporaries but really enjoyed this one and I get what all the hype was about. I think I liked this one better than Fangirl! Boy meets girl. Boy not impressed with girl and it takes a while to form a friendship. Boy comes from normal family, girl comes from a hard family life with a pig as a stepdad. Boy and girl fall in love. The falling in love parts were adorable! My favorite character was Park's mom! ;)

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Read 5/3, rated it 4 stars. I'm not a big fan of contemporary so was happy to be able to change it up and read something outside of my comfort zone. This was a story of a twin who is forced to live apart from her twin. Cath writes fan fic and is very introvert. At first I wasn't sure about the MC but as the story progressed, she grew on me and grew up. Loved the ending! Really enjoyed this!

Black City (Black City, #1) by Elizabeth Richards Read 6/9, rated it 3 stars. I thought the premise and world building was interesting enough but once I hit that awful instalove, I almost DNF'd, it was SO bad. After much eye rolling, I made it to the end which was better and redeemed the book, a little. I probably won't be continuing this series.

Half Bad (Half Bad, #1) by Sally Green

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

YAY, so glad you liked Fangirl Karen :)

message 15: by Taylor (last edited May 19, 2015 08:48AM) (new)

Taylor (wattpadbookreader) | 4 comments Esther wrote: "My name: Esther
My partner: Wattpadbookreader

The books picked for me: TBD"

My name: WattpadBookReader

My partner: Esther

The books picked for me: Opposition (Lux, #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout five out of five stars I loved it The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1) by Marie Rutkoski OMG I love this book so much Esther had some great picks

Ok, Jenny, I don't see where Eva picked your books so I will! ;)

I pick for you:
The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1) by Melinda Salisbury
Arclight (Arclight, #1) by Josin L. McQuein
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Thank you Karen :) I can always count on you! And I'm excited to read those!

message 18: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Finished Slave (Finding Anna, #1) by Sherri Hayes gave it 3 stars. I didn't really like Stephen. Brianna really needed help but he refused to take her to a professional insisting he could help her instead.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Sorry I couldn't participate in this one guys. Just too busy with school and extra-curriculars for the next month and a half to read much. Hope you guys find good books though.
I'll join you again in July!

message 20: by Karen’s Library (last edited May 08, 2015 10:46PM) (new)

Daniel wrote: "Sorry I couldn't participate in this one guys. Just too busy with school and extra-curriculars for the next month and a half to read much. Hope you guys find good books though.
I'll join you again ..."

Sounds good, Daniel! We all have busy times so very understandable. We'll miss you this round though.

message 21: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Finished In My Dreams by Cameo Renae I loved this story. It was about Lizzy and Michael. After he dies in a car wreck he visits Lizzy in dreams because his death wasn't an accident. She's now in danger and he wants to protect her. I really recommend this for anyone that likes paranormal romance.

message 22: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

It kind of sounds like the movie, "Ghost" ;) Except he is always around here in that one, not just her dreams :)

message 23: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Jenny wrote: "It kind of sounds like the movie, "Ghost" ;) Except he is always around here in that one, not just her dreams :)"

Omgosh that is what it was kinda like. Except they were teenagers living in Alaska and it was over their friends drug addiction.

message 24: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

LOL Sometimes its fun to see the similarities in things! I'd probably like this book, I LOVED Ghost!

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lewitt | 57 comments Finshed Unraveling (Unraveling, #1) by Elizabeth Norris 4 stars. This book hit close to hone literately. It takes place in San Diego so, I was very familiar with the locations in this book. The beginning was annoyingly slow but the plot picked around the middle of the book. Enjoyed it enough to want to read the sequel.

message 26: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I LOVED Unraveling, and the sequel!

message 27: by Karen’s Library (last edited May 25, 2015 11:42PM) (new)

Just finished Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and updated my status. ;) Another awesome pick and so glad to finally read this one!

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (alexandra14) | 218 comments I finished Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover

Finished my 3rd book!

Black City (Black City, #1) by Elizabeth Richards Read 6/9, rated it 3 stars. I thought the premise and world building was interesting enough but once I hit that awful instalove, I almost DNF'd, it was SO bad. After much eye rolling, I made it to the end which was better and redeemed the book, a little. I probably won't be continuing this series.

message 30: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Finished Creation by Kat Mellon 4 stars from me. At first I was going to be surprised if I gave this 2 stars but about halfway the story completely changes. If the first half hadn't been so confusing it would have gotten 5 stars from me. I recommend this for anyone wanting a quick dystopian read. Although some more world building would've been nice but in such a quick read there really wasn't room.

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (alexandra14) | 218 comments @ Karen. I feel sorry for you. I recently read a book with an awful insta-love too, but it was a DNF for me. I just read six chapters and it was enough.

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Finished Arclight (Arclight, #1) by Josin L. McQuein
3.5 stars

The last quarter of this one was really good! I wish the first 3 quarters had been as good. I was really struggling with this one, and was majorly confused, but I think I got it by the end.

message 33: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I finished reading The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin and HOLY CRAP!! That ending! The book was pretty confusing about the first third of it or so, but overall I really liked this one! 4 stars

message 34: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) When will the new sign up go live? I missed it this time and I'm going to my parent's soon and won't wanna miss it again :)

message 35: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I guess I can go ahead and do it now. Thanks Irene!

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

July/August Sign Ups are posted!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 37: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 403 comments I have read my all of my picks and have updated in my original post. Thank you again, Holly.

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (alexandra14) | 218 comments Done with my second book Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth
I'm so disappointed. I don't know where things went wrong. I liked how it started but quickly after, things went south. Gave it just two stars

message 39: by Andrea (last edited Jun 26, 2015 04:22PM) (new)

Andrea (alexandra14) | 218 comments Unfortunately I won't be able to finish my last book :/

Andrea, same here! ;)

message 41: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I'm going to try to get my last book read! Thanks for my picks, Karen!! I'm really happy you gave me Mara Dyer :)

Jenny wrote: "I'm going to try to get my last book read! Thanks for my picks, Karen!! I'm really happy you gave me Mara Dyer :)"

Yay Jenny! :)

message 43: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I'm about halfway through my last pick, The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1) by Melinda Salisbury Enjoying it so far!

I'm actually next at the library for my last pick so I will still get to it even though it's past June. ;)

message 45: by Kela Esther (new)

Kela Esther | 101 comments omg, I was totally commited to this and my family surprised me with a traveling vacation. So sorry I didn't pull through...

message 46: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Finished my last book tonight The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1) by Melinda Salisbury 4 stars. It was a decent read, nothing too special, but I did love the overall story. Never really connected to the MC, though, and thought she was a bit dumb!

message 47: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Esther wrote: "omg, I was totally commited to this and my family surprised me with a traveling vacation. So sorry I didn't pull through..."

No worries, Esther, life happens :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4) by Christopher Paolini on monday,(yes,yes I know a bit late). Great read tho. Sad to see the series end. Did not expect that ending.