DC Comics Fans discussion

Comics > Do you have a favorite comic book(s)?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annice22 (new)

Annice22 | 219 comments Mod
There are quite a few that I considered be some of my favorite books but one that I really enjoyed was Batgirl Year One.

message 2: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia Young justice invasion!

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Just one...?

Probably go with 'DC comics Presents', the Superman team up book.

message 4: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) Specifically limiting myself to the 175 DC Comics books I've read:
Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar, Dave Johnson, Kilian Plunkett, Andrew Robinson, & Walden Wong
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel by Brian Azzarello & Lee Bermejo
Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes by Karl Kesel, Rachel Dodson, & Terry Dodson
The Batman Adventures: Mad Love by Paul Dini & Bruce Timm

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (nobody3010) | 48 comments Death of the Family and Endgame were awesome Joker stories. Death of the Family was an in depth examination of the Batman/Joker dynamic and a tribute to their history. Endgame flipped it all on it's head. I can't wait to see what Rebirth does with him. Also, who else thinks that the only thing the only thing the three Jokers thing means is that there's a Multiverse and in that Multiverse there are three versions of Joker( pre-crisis, post-crisis and New 52)?

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments Hard to narrow it down, but here are a few:
Batman-The Dark Knight Returns by Milker & Varley
Batman-The Long Halloween by Loeb & Sale
Batman- Mad Love & Other Stories by Dini & Timm
The Fourth World- by Jack Kirby (it's 3 titles, so kind of a cheat)
JLA-New World Order by Morrison and Porter
JSA-The Return Of Hawkman by Goyer,Johns& Sadowski
Kingdom Come- by Waid and Ross
New Teen Titans-Omnibus 1+2 by Wolfman & Perez
Starman-Omnibus 1-6 by Robinson,Harris, & Snejjberg
Superman- Man of Steel 1-4 by Byrne, Wolfman, Ordway
Wonder Woman -Down to Earth by Rucka & Johnson

There are many, many more.......

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Now, I behaved and picked one and everyone else had a list!
No fair.

So, here's mine:

Crisis on multiple Earths: love JLA/JSA team ups
Superman: Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
Starman
All Star Superman
Doom Patrol (original run with the Arnold Drake art)
Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison's run)
Omac by Jack Kirby
Adventure Comics ( the run where Starman, Plastic man and Aquaman shared it)
All Star comics ( the 70's run when they brought the JSA back and Power Girl first showed up)
Birds of Prey ( all of Chuck Dixons run)

message 8: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 119 comments Travis wrote: "Now, I behaved and picked one and everyone else had a list!
No fair.

So, here's mine:

Superman: Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
Starman
A..."

Travis the title of the thread does have the word potentially in plural so having several isn't breaking the rules. Been reading comics for so long this is going to take some thought.

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments John wrote: "Travis wrote: "Now, I behaved and picked one and everyone else had a list!
No fair.

So, here's mine:

Superman: Whatever happened to the man of tom..."

I didn't think it was a carved in stone rule. Just the first couple people picked just one, so I was proud of my willpower.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil Bova (haljrdn) | 3 comments If I had to choose, I'd go with the Blackest Night story arc. This was a huge storyline with depth and complexity.

message 11: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 24 comments I've never been able to narrow down my favorites of anything. Limiting to DC, these are among my favorites:

Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek
Gail Simone's The Secret Six
Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier
The New Titans: The Judas Contract (and pretty much the rest of Wolfman and Perez's run on the New Titans)
Green Lantern/Green Arrow: Hard Traveling Heroes
Power Girl: Power Trip
Kingdom Come
Birds of Prey (Dixon's and Simone's runs)
Booster Gold
Manhunter by Goodwin and Simonson

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Olsen (ravynsfaery) | 16 comments I've only JUST started reading comics again, but I really enjoyed so far;

The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
Batman: Hush, Vol. 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
Blackest Night

And Scott Snyders New 52 Batman run was just amazing IMHO.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments My turn:

Superman: whatever happened to the man of tomorrow...?
Starman by James Robinson
Swamp Thing by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson ( that Moore guy was pretty good too, but start with the classics)
Doom Patrol (either the original stories or Grant Morrison's run)
Showcase presents Enemy Ace by Joe Kubert
Crisis on multiple Earths ( the JLA/JSA team ups!)
Birds of Prey ( I honestly prefer the Dixon run to Gail's)
Superman: for the man wo has everything
Brave and the bold( get the later volumes with the Jim Apparo art!)Legion of super heroes: the great darkness saga

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Gotta add 'FutureQuest' to my list.

As a huge Hanna-barbra cartoon fan, this series is a dream come true and a perfect example of how you do these kind of stories.

message 15: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 119 comments Unless it came out yesterday I (and my oldests son) are waiting for the second issue to come out.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments John wrote: "Unless it came out yesterday I (and my oldests son) are waiting for the second issue to come out."

Came out yesterday and it was pretty glorious.

I was happy to get the Herculoids cover!

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Garrett | 1 comments Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader
Batwoman Elegy
Batman: Harley Quinn

message 19: by C. John (last edited Jul 20, 2016 07:56PM) (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 119 comments I am not 100% sure what we are looking for here but I am going to go with hard or soft cover collections. Since I have been discussing Batman elsewhere I will list a few Batman books I really liked
Batman The War Years 1939-1945 Presenting over 20 classic full length Batman tales from the DC comics vault! by Roy Thomas Batman the War Years
Batman From the 30's to the 70's by E. Nelson Bridwell Batman from the 30s to the 70s. This is a nice overview of the first few decades of Batman's career.
Batman Detective No. 27 by Michael E. Uslan Batman: Detective No. 27

message 20: by C. John (last edited Jul 20, 2016 07:58PM) (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 119 comments King of Crooks (featuring The British Spider) by Jerry Siegel King of Crooks. I know it's not a DC book but I am going to recommend this one for two reasons. First The Spider did appear in the Albion mini-series which was a DC production (and which I haven't read though). The second is that from the characters third story and for several subsequent stories the strip was written by Jerry Siegel. The strip was one of my favourites when it was first published in Lion in England. We were lucky back then here in Canada in that W.H. Smith & Sons here was still British owned and thus carried a nice selection of UK comics.

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments John wrote: "King of Crooks (featuring The British Spider) by Jerry Siegel King of Crooks. I know it's not a DC book but I am going to recommend this one for two reasons. First The Spider did appear in the Albion mini-series which was a ..."

The Albion mini was a bit of a mess. Worth a look if you find it in a fifty cent bin at your LCS, but otherwise not Moore's finest.
Did get me curious about the Brit characters.
Keep meaning to find the Spider trade.
I read the other collection they did, the Steel Claw.
Shame they only got the two books out before the line crashed.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Michelle wrote: "Absolute Green Arrow by Kevin Smith - looooved it.
Batman: Under the Red Hood"

The Kevin Smith run starts really strong and then takes some big stumbles at the end.
Did like the stuff between Oliver and Conner. That was nicely done.

message 23: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 119 comments Travis wrote: "John wrote: "King of Crooks (featuring The British Spider) by Jerry Siegel King of Crooks. I know it's not a DC book but I am going to recommend this one for two reasons. First The Spider did appear in the Albion mini-series..."

My understanding is that DC actually owns the older IPC characters now with some exceptions (Dan Dare and Roy of the Rovers come to mind). Thus Titan couldn't or wouldn't continue on with the reprints. A pity as there were some really good stories in The Spider. After the Dr. Mysterioso story was The Android Emperor, The Executioner and The Crook from Outer Space. Those would have made for a nice second volume. The Executioner storyline was the one where The Spider decided that he would go from being a criminal mastermind to being a hero fighting crime. I didn't get Valiant so I can't really comment on The Steel Claw. I have a few late sixties Valiant's and the Quality mini-series though.

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber (amiwonder) Love:
Batman: the Killing Joke
&
Batman and Robin (because I may be in the minority, but I LOVE Damian)
&
Batgirl (Gail Simone Version)

Those are my top three

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments I liked the run where Dick Grayson took over as Batman, so you had the more relaxed Batman and then Damian, the super serious Robin.

That Dynamic was fun.
Otherwise, not a huge Damian fan.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber (amiwonder) Travis wrote: "I liked the run where Dick Grayson took over as Batman, so you had the more relaxed Batman and then Damian, the super serious Robin.

That Dynamic was fun.
Otherwise, not a huge Damian fan.">

Oh yes! I am so glad someone mentioned that dynamic. Loved when they worked together, that was one of my favorite parts. I had been specifically thinking about the Batman and Robin run that fit in with the Death of the Family arc with the Joker. I think Bruce was back being Batman when it was officially deemed "New 52" But I loved those comics with Grayson Batman so much too.

I guess I just like most if not all of the comics that have Damian in them, haha.

message 27: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (authorjennifercollins) Im really getting into Gotham City Sirens. And my 12 year old son is starting to read the 5 book origins set from Scholastic.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 64 comments Right now?
Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye

All time?
Starman
Sandman
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Kingdom Come

message 29: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Yeah, the Young Animal stuff may be the best titles DC is putting out.
Really enjoying them. Doom Patrol and Cave Carson are great.

Jennifer: are you talking about the Gotham Sirens series Paul Dini wrote?

message 30: by Jenn (last edited Jan 23, 2017 06:35AM) (new)

Jenn (authorjennifercollins) Travis wrote: "Yeah, the Young Animal stuff may be the best titles DC is putting out.

Jennifer: are you talking about the Gotham Sirens series Paul Di..."

Yup Travis, thats the one. ;)

message 31: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 119 comments I have been making up a list of titles I would like to have evey issue of. Maybe I should see what DC titles are on that list.

message 32: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Jennifer wrote: "Travis wrote: "Yeah, the Young Animal stuff may be the best titles DC is putting out.

Jennifer: are you talking about the Gotham Sirens..."

That was a fun series. I only did the first dozen issues but I enjoyed the girls trying to be heroes in their own special way.

Have you tried any of the Birds of Prey series?
I think the original pre-52 one is the best, but nearly every version has been readable and entertaining if you like girls kicking butt or titles that are on the fringes of the Bat-verse.

message 33: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (authorjennifercollins) Travis: I have not read any Birds of Prey stuff. I'll look in to it though. Thank you

message 34: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Always glad to recommend stuff.
I try to use my ridiculous amount of comic book knowledge for good.

message 35: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (authorjennifercollins) LOL.

message 36: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 64 comments Travis wrote: "Always glad to recommend stuff.
I try to use my ridiculous amount of comic book knowledge for good."

Agreed. Though it's a double edged sword. Recommendations can cause people to buy more stuff.

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Buying more comic books is a bad thing...?

yeah, that sentence looks like english, but I don't understand it at all.

message 38: by Jay (new)

Jay Scott Snyder's Batman: The Black Mirror so holds the top spot for me. For some reason, Dick Grayson wearing the cowl is always fun to read. I couldn't put down Superman Birthright or Identity Crisis. Mark Millar's The Ultimates is up there too.