Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Apocalyptic Horror

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments I'm having a bit of trouble finding books similar to The Stand besides Swan Song, which I'm going to read soon.

Any other suggestions for more? I like the long page count, so any with that are a plus.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Barclay (shellcastle) | 21 comments I Am Legend and Other Stories I'm sorry it lacks the word count and has its own flavor, but it is the seminal apocalyptic horror novel.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Shell wrote: "I Am Legend and Other Stories I'm sorry it lacks the word count and has its own flavor, but it is the seminal apocalyptic horror novel."

Good call.

James Herbert's Domain is pretty good, it's worth reading the first two books first though.

message 4: by Lewstherin14 (new)

Lewstherin14 | 11 comments If you aren't adverse to YA fiction the Benny Imura series offers an excellent morality play set against a zombie apocalypse. Moreover it's a ZA that's already happened and the survivors have been living with that reality for over a decade giving it a different flavor than the standard Z-fare

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri | 8 comments Try "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. it's one of my favs

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I enjoyed Tim Lebbon's "Coldbrook" and definitely second the recommendation of the Benny Imura series (see Rot & Ruin by Joantahn Maberry). Yes, those are YA, but they don't feel aimed at younger readers, there's just less language. Also agree on The Passage, though it's not for everyone - it's like 2 or 3 books in one.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Michael wrote: "Shell wrote: "I Am Legend and Other Stories I'm sorry it lacks the word count and has its own flavor, but it is the seminal apocalyptic horror novel."

Good call.

James Herbert's Dom..."

Speaking of James herbert, I've always thought "The Fog" by Herbert is a bit on the apocalyptic side.

message 8: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check them out :)

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Just finished Metro 2033 and that is an excellent story of post-apocalyptic horror.

message 10: by Taz (new)

Taz Gallaher (tazgallaher) | 8 comments Free for a limited time! - - Taz Gallaher's five-star rated Republic of the Living: Vengeance.

"Republic of the Living: Vengeance introduces readers to Taz Gallaher’s vision of the zombie apocalypse. Everything you take for granted is gone and the undead have staked their claim to the wrecked streets and abandoned buildings of the West Coast. Through this ruined landscape, a posse of hardened killers chases a man and a young girl. Their only crime: justice. Their pursuers only goal: death and vengeance. As this short, complexly-woven narrative converges on a final encounter, who will defend the living and who will join the undead?"

message 11: by Cuniculus (last edited Jun 20, 2015 01:21PM) (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2879 comments I would recommend Biohazard by Tim Curran:

Verseucht (German Edition) by Tim Curran

Biohazard by Tim Curran

In retrospect, some elements are strongly reminiscent of The Stand.