The Outsiders The Outsiders discussion

A controversial book for teenagers?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandy To be honest, I was a little frightened when reading the book, and thought the book is quite negative.
I searched on internet and found was a controversial book when it was published. It is part of the curriculum for my son's school too.
How do you think why the school nowadays select it for their teenage students, besides it was written by a teenage girl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outs...

Controversy
The Outsiders was a controversial book at the time of its publication and is still a frequently challenged book nowadays. It was ranked #38 on the American Library Association’s Top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–1999.[3] This book has been banned from some schools and libraries because of the portrayal of gang violence, underage smoking and drinking, as well as strong language/slang and family dysfunction.[4] However, in many schools today, the book is part of the curriculum for middle school and/or high school.

Tytti Why shouldn't they? We read it when I was in school, I liked it, and it seems that kids are still reading and liking it. The other book that they often read is a war novel, so drinking and swearing doesn't sound so bad. And we are talking about 14/15-year-olds.

Sandy Tytti wrote: "Why shouldn't they? We read it when I was in school, I liked it, and it seems that kids are still reading and liking it. The other book that they often read is a war novel, so drinking and swearing..."

:)

"This book has been banned from some schools and libraries because of the portrayal of gang violence, underage smoking and drinking, as well as strong language/slang and family dysfunction."

message 4: by Tytti (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tytti Many books have been banned for reasons I don't understand. This seems to be one of them. In general I don't believe in controlling what teenagers read. They are old enough to do it for themselves.

message 5: by Somerandom (last edited May 01, 2015 12:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Somerandom Pfft, people try to ban Alice in freaking Wonderland. Books that are challenged are often for stupid simplistic reasons. Like confusing depiction with promotion. Honestly, book challengers make me wonder if they passed basic English, since they seem unable to use dissection techniques commonly taught to Primary School kids (grade 3 children.)

I found the book rather tame to be honest.

Reading Curriculum is generally chosen for reading level (in the West anyway) applicability to age and resonating themes. The book explores stereotypes, friendship, loyalty and roles chosen by society. All themes both relevant to teenagers and applicable to their daily lives. The writing is rather simple and easy to grasp, so why the hell wouldn't it be chosen?

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) At my school it was in the curriculum to read this in 7th grade. I love the book. I think it was a wonderful read. All my friends that it was a good book as well. If we had to read it I'm pretty sure teenagers can handle it.

message 7: by Hec (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hec Hernandez i had to read it in school and i loved it even my younger sisters like it. and my school still makes us read it. which i have no problem with the book.

Christine Sandy wrote: "To be honest, I was a little frightened when reading the book, and thought the book is quite negative...."

Trust me, compared to what actually goes on in some high schools nowadays, this book is quite tame.

message 9: by Hec (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hec Hernandez Christine wrote: "Sandy wrote: "To be honest, I was a little frightened when reading the book, and thought the book is quite negative...."

Trust me, compared to what actually goes on in some high schools nowadays, ..."

Hahaha true that lol

Nashalee Winnie the Poah is a banned book in some countries so...yeah.

The Outsiders is an amazing book but some people are just scared to show their kids the reality that happened in the past (since these characters are inspired by real people in the authors childhood) but all of the situations that happen in the book are happening in the present so the schools who band this book are just hiding that reality.

Ashley "This book has been banned from some schools and libraries because of the portrayal of gang violence, underage smoking and drinking, as well as strong language/slang and family dysfunction."

I've never understood why you would ban a book for these reasons, or why you would even try to do so. Reading a book with these topics in a structured setting can open up a dialogue about such difficult topics that can help kids learn to cope with such situations and possibly even discourage them from activities like gangs and smoking. Banning books does nothing but shut down constructive dialogue. Kids are going to be exposed to these things anyway, so why not use literature to help them deal with it?

message 12: by D.N. (last edited Sep 30, 2015 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.N. Robertson The people trying to ban this book, or find it "inappropriate" are under the misguided impression that if teens aren't exposed to language, sex and violence they won't come up with it on their own. (HA!)The same rule applies to sex ed..."if we don't talk about it they won't do it!" As Ashley said, bringing up these topics in a structured environment creates dialogue which can allow for the development of social strategies to cope with peer pressure, external forces and building of individual opinions. It makes for strong thinkers.

Crystal Hec wrote: "Christine wrote: "Sandy wrote: "To be honest, I was a little frightened when reading the book, and thought the book is quite negative...."

Trust me, compared to what actually goes on in some high ..."

Also we had to read the Hunger Games in year 8 so the outsiders is nothing compared to...that