The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

Suggestions > May Suggestions - Steampunk

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Hey guys! I know April has been a tough month with exams coming up! Still, May promises to be a great month, especially once exams are done!!!! This month is one of my favorite genres - STEAMPUNK! A lot of you may be unaware what steampunk is, but it's basically "a subgenre of science fiction and sometimes fantasy—also in recent years a fashion and lifestyle movement—that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery."

Some notable examples are The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare or the Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger!

Do you guys have any suggestions about what you want to read this month?! It's a fascinating and new genre, and I can't wait!!

message 2: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Guys be prepared because this is one of Renuka's and mine favorite genres ever and we are so excited for May! Any other steampunk lovers out there? Let's share the love and share all the recommendations you've got!

message 3: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) I'll be choosing from everyone's recs because I seriously have no idea whatsoever about this genre. Hope there are lot of options to choose from :)

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (projectbookworm) I have never read steampunk before either, Soledad!

But I've been meaning to read Cassandra Clare. Should I start with The Infernal Devices, or is there another book/series by her that comes first?

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 28 comments I confess this is a genre I have not dipped into. (Except for that awful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie.)

Didn't Scott Westerfeld do a steampunk series? Also, anyone know anything about Cherie Priest?

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle So excited for this month!

Recommending one of my all-time favourite novels, Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. It's a dystopian steampunk novel about CITIES THAT EAT EACH OTHER. LITERALLY. It's a brilliant deconstruction of the typical boy's adventure novel, and the leading lady, Hester Shaw, is one of the most fantastically complex morally-grey characters I've ever encountered.

message 7: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) Recent Steampunk novels I've enjoyed: Raven (Chronicles of Steele, #1) by Pauline Creeden Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Un Lun Dun by China Miéville

Steampunk novels I'm hoping to read very soon: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) by Catherine Fisher Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1) by Arthur Slade

message 8: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Huh, found this on a listopia here on Goodreads:

Best Steampunk Books
Wikipedia defines steampunk as:

"A subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality."

Curious, as it didn't occur to me Jules Verne fitted into this genre.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat | 3 comments I'm reading Railsea by China Mieville. Un Lun Dun is incredibly fun - my favourite YA book.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) Kat wrote: "I'm reading Railsea by China Mieville. Un Lun Dun is incredibly fun - my favourite YA book."

Is Railsea any good? I sort of want to read it, but at the same time, I HATED Moby Dick and that's where she got the idea for this book from so...

message 11: by Wafa (new)

Wafa I have no idea what steampunk was about..

Is the Bobby Pendragon series counted as steampunk?

I hope we read a standalone book because most of the steampunk I am aware of is series :/

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison Weston (lantis) | 7 comments Leviathan was very good, it's the first book in a trilogy which is great fun and easy reading.

message 13: by Nienke (new)

Nienke I would recommend the Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross. Really enjoyed these books and in my opinion captures the essence of steampunk.
The Infernal Devices is a good steampunk series also!

This month will be awesome! Steampunk is the best and needs more books!

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz | 10 comments I've not read much steampunk, but Ticker was good.

message 15: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments Huh well if Un Lun Dun counts then I might try that, friend has recommended it to me before & I am sort of a sucker for warped-in-some-way London :)

Whatever I do read though it will be a stand alone, it bugs me not to finish series/trilogies and I don't need to be starting any more!

Yeah, I know nothing about steampunk except recognising the cosplay when I see it :p

message 16: by Melany (new)

Melany (globalbymel) This is exciting because I don't think I've ever read a steampunk novel before! The closest is probably Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone, which I really liked, but that is more "steampunk inspired fantasy" than real steampunk.

I'm thinking I might read Soulless as I've had friends recommend it and it looks like a quick read. I'm also maybe intested in The Anubis Gates as that seems to be one of the foundations of the genre. Perdido Street Station looks interesting but I have another book by China Melville I want to read before anything else. I've also seen Boneshaker recommended in a bunch of places.

message 17: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamarasan) I've been saving the Gail Carriger books--both Soulless & Etiquette and Espionage for this month!

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (fuzzybooks) | 1 comments I was thinking of getting the Immerse or Die bundle from Storybundle, it's got a Steampunk novel, Mad Tinker's Daughter which I was thinking of reading for May's Steampunk category.

message 19: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Gail Carriger writes very humorous steampunk! I definitely recommend them! Some of my personal favorite steampunk novels have been:

-Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
-Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
-Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
-The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross
-Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
-The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
-Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff
-The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron

message 20: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments Change of mind, if His Dark Materials counts I am totally reading Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass) as I still haven't got round to reading it despite meaning to for years.

Do need to get my books back from my sister though...

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat | 3 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Kat wrote: "I'm reading Railsea by China Mieville. Un Lun Dun is incredibly fun - my favourite YA book."

Is Railsea any good? I sort of want to read it, but at the same time, I HATED Moby Dick and..."

I haven't read Moby Dick but so far Railsea is SO much fun!! I would definitely recommend it. There are evil moles! Humans are afraid of the earth! In typical Mieville style, there are like 400 puns! I'm not too far in, but I'd suggest Un Lun Dun first if you're not convinced about Railsea. Un Lun Dun made me want to read everything China Mieville has ever done.

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) Kat wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Kat wrote: "I'm reading Railsea by China Mieville. Un Lun Dun is incredibly fun - my favourite YA book."

Is Railsea any good? I sort of want to read it, but at the same time, I H..."

I've read Un Lun Dun and absolutely adored it. :)

message 23: by Alethela (new)

Alethela Tamara wrote: "I've been saving the Gail Carriger books--both Soulless & Etiquette and Espionage for this month!"

I was thinking the same! I've been meaning to read them for a while.

message 24: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Here's my list of recs for May:
-Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld (great for fans of graphic novels because it includes amazing drawings)
-Soulless series and Finishing School series by Gail Carriger (great for fans of paranormal)
-Matt Cruse trilogy by Kenneth Opel
-Steampunk Chronicles by Katie Cross
-His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman
-Incarceron duology by Catherine Fisher (great for fans of the Maze Runner)
-Stoker and Holmes trilogy by Colleen Gleason (great for fans of the classics)
-The Clockwork Century series by Cherie Priest
-Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
-Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
-Illusionarium by Heather Dixon (this one is coming out May 19th!)

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 28 comments OK, if His Dark Materials qualifies as steampunk, I've got The Golden Compass waiting in my TBR queue, that may be the way to go. ;D

message 26: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) I think I'm going to re-read the first two books in the Parasol Protectorate series (because it's been so long since I read them), then finish the series if possible. I loved the first two, so I'm really excited to finally own them all.

message 27: by Helen (new)

Helen (cooksbooks78) I am planning on reading Leviathan
and Boneshaker this month

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (sherkate) | 2 comments I'm reading "Invisible Library" ;)

message 29: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jkalffl) | 7 comments I've started Gates of Thread and Stone which I think fits for this month. I'm looking forward to adding more books to my tbr list from all these recommendations! :)

message 30: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I really want to read Clockwork Angel, and I voted for it, so I really hope it gets chosen for this month!

message 31: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Yay! Thank's for all your suggestions guys, the poll is up!!

I personally voted for Mortal Engines because it sounds amazing, but so do all the titles!!

@The Lit Lover - Clockwork Angel is such an amazing book! I love that whole series so much! <3