Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > May/June Author Member Group Read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (last edited Apr 29, 2015 05:24PM) (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments Since we have quite a list of author members and their books I thought I would select two titles to read over each two month period for the rest of the year. I am hoping that the randomly selected titles will bring everyone something of interest.

The two titles selected for this period are -

War of the Shadows by John Zanetti War of the Shadows by John Zanetti

and

A Heat Of The Moment Thing by Maggie Le Page A Heat Of The Moment Thing by Maggie Le Page

Use this thread to comment/discuss these books. If either fo the authors wish to join in you would be most welcome.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I read War of Shadows in February :) Its a really interesting premise and will appeal to people who like political intrigue type thrillers.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1479 comments I loved John Zanetti's The Blessings of Stefan (which is coming up with an author 'John Jetty' - has this something to do with the title being changed??), but 'War of the Shadows' isn't available at the library, unfortunately.

I'll try 'A Heat of the Moment Thing' - it's not a genre I'm too fussed about, but I'll give it a go in the interests of supporting Kiwi authors!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Half way through War of the Shadows.

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1479 comments I read 'A Heat ...' and enjoyed it. It's humorous, and an easy read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished ' War of Shadows'. A different read than what I expected. Some editing issues. Plenty of opportunity for a follow on novel. Will write review a sap.

message 7: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments S.K.Fischer wrote: "Finished ' War of Shadows'. A different read than what I expected. Some editing issues. Plenty of opportunity for a follow on novel. Will write review a sap."

I really (really) recommend The Blessings of Stefan ( I think it has recently had a name change?) by the same author. Its a book which has stayed with me for a long time and has the most amazing world building. I enjoyed War of SHadows as I like dystopia type fiction and I liked how he played that out in a NZ (quite realistic) scenario but IMHO Blessings is so much better.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sweetp-1 wrote: "S.K.Fischer wrote: "Finished ' War of Shadows'. A different read than what I expected. Some editing issues. Plenty of opportunity for a follow on novel. Will write review a sap."

I really (really)..."

Thanks Sweetpea. My expectation, from the cover and blurb of War of Shadows, was more along the lines of YA John Marsden Tomorrow series. Would love to support NZ authors but John Z. should start the story half way through. Will add The Blessings to my list.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Got It! 'The Gardener Who Could See' I think ?

message 10: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Yes that's it. COMPLETELY different to War of Shadows.

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1479 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "S.K.Fischer wrote: "Finished ' War of Shadows'."

I really (really) recommend The Blessings of Stefan ..."

I haven't read the 'War ...' so can't compare the two, but would also thoroughly recommend '..Blessings..'. It's an unusual and beautifully realised book.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Only have a few days left to complete my current novel and read ' A Heat of the Moment Thing' before the May/ June Author Group Read comes to an end.

Already downloaded ' The Gardener Who Could See'. Can't wait to get started.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahhh! 30% through ' A Heat of the Moment Thing' and June has passed me by. Not my genre but enjoying the book so far. Light, easy read,chatty style.

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1479 comments S.K.Fischer wrote: "Ahhh! 30% through ' A Heat of the Moment Thing' and June has passed me by. Not my genre but enjoying the book so far. Light, easy read,chatty style."

Yes, that's what I found.