Tudor History Lovers discussion

Interesting things to share.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments I found two things i wanted to share with you all but
couldn't decide which topic would be the right one to post something like this. So i had the idea to open a new discussion where everyone can share interesting things about the Tudors that interests us all?
Maybe an interesting documentary or a tudor recipe you wanted to try out, a new article or maybe a movie trailer?
If someone searches for something but doesn't know where to find it he could ask here too.
I wasn't sure if i should open this topic, maybe something like this exists already.
But if you like it, just start sharing something with us!

message 2: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWWe...

I saw this documentary about hidden killers in Tudor Homes this morning and it was pretty interesting.
The impact sugar had was impressive. In our modern world
sugar surrounds us too but we know what dangers it has..
It's a shock to see how much they used for everything!
The documentary is maybe a little bit dramatic but overall
there were some interesting things in it.

message 3: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments http://www.frockflicks.com/snark-week...

It's always terrible to see how much things shows/movies get wrong with historical clothing. This page is dedicated to this topic and some things were so true!
I still hope to see a movie where everything is authentic.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 41 comments Johanna wrote: "http://www.frockflicks.com/snark-week...

It's always terrible to see how much things shows/movies get wrong with historical clothing. This page is dedi..."

Frock Flicks is a great site overall. They just had an article on different film depictions of Henry VIII: http://www.frockflicks.com/henry-viii...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Johanna for the link share. With the money spent on these shows you would think they could do better.

message 6: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments I have really enjoyed the frock flicks web site. It is very interesting. I must say I was a bit surprised by the author's frequent use of the "f" word but other than that I love the researched based information about the costumes. I too am surprised the movie makers can't get the costumes closer to authentic. In fact it is actually quite surprising what the author of the website points out as flaws that I would not have noticed, such as seams and covered zippers.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Bilyeau | 21 comments I wanted to share my post on Elizabeth Boleyn, who has always fascinated me:

http://nancybilyeau.blogspot.com/2015...

message 8: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments Nancy,
The post on Elizabeth Boleyn was very informative and quite fascinating. I find the women of the time so very interesting simply because they quietly endured so much!

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 70 comments Johanna wrote: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWWe...

I saw this documentary about hidden killers in Tudor Homes this morning and it was pretty interesting.
The impact sugar had was impressive. In our mode..."

I've just watched and I found it extremely interesting, especially when it explained why so many houses were burnt and why it was so easy to drown when you fell into a river!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Nancy wrote: "I wanted to share my post on Elizabeth Boleyn, who has always fascinated me:

http://nancybilyeau.blogspot.com/2015..."

Thank you. I enjoy reading about different people of that time period.

message 11: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Tammy wrote: "Thanks Johanna for the link share. With the money spent on these shows you would think they could do better."

So true. There are probably just not enough people like us who would appreciate it.. Sadly. As long as it looks pretty.
I don't even think that they have to do everything right..
that would be quite impossible. But some small things like backlacing in 18 century dresses is just stupid. It wouldn't take much time to make it more authentic. It's probably not even the fault of the people who make the movie but the designer that made them. I guess they took someone who should know a bit about history but not enough or who thought it would look better. It's always a joy to see movies who did it right. They often reuse dresses.. I don't have a problem with that too but when they use dresses they used on the tudor show (which were not even authentic then) and use it in a movie set in the 18 century without even changing something i get mad. It's frustrating

message 12: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Nancy wrote: "I wanted to share my post on Elizabeth Boleyn, who has always fascinated me:

Really interesting! I always wanted to know more about her. It's sad that we don't know a lot about her.. even in books about Anne she is often quite absent.
Someone should write a book about here.. Do you think that she had an affair with Henry?

message 13: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Silvia wrote: "Johanna wrote: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWWe...

The impact sugar had was impress..."

True. We all have a chimney today but i'm sure that most don't know how long it took and everything that had to happen until it was perfect like today. If you're interested in other periods as well you can watch hidden killers victorian & Edwardians too.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Dawn wrote: "Frock Flicks is a great site overall. They just had an article on different film depictions of Henry VIII: http://www.frockflicks.com/henry-viii..."

I enjoyed those depictions of Henry -- interesting to see how he changes with the times, just like many icons.

message 15: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Christine wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Frock Flicks is a great site overall. They just had an article on different film depictions of Henry VIII: http://www.frockflicks.com/henry-viii..."

I enjoyed those depictions of Henr..."

True! Which Henry was your favourite? I didn't see Wolf Hall yet but i must say that the costumes look amazing!

message 16: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments Would Jane Seymour have been buried without shoes ? I noticed in the showtime series that Jane Seymour was placed on a raised platform , the scene was beautiful and moving . Her feet were bare and it seemed odd for a queen to be displayed without shoes . Possibly this was a private viewing ?

message 17: by Christine (last edited Sep 24, 2015 10:24PM) (new)

Christine | 34 comments Johanna wrote: "True! Which Henry was your favourite? I didn't see Wolf Hall yet but i must say that the costumes look amazing! ..."

I think Damien Lewis (of Wolf Hall) is actually my favorite Henry. He is a redhead for one thing, and he nailed a good mix of joviality and temper -- kind of how I picture the actual Henry. Although I love Burton and Jonathon Rhys Meyers too (sigh)

Johanna, I hope you get to see Wolf Hall, it is great!

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Star wrote: "Would Jane Seymour have been buried without shoes ? I noticed in the showtime series that Jane Seymour was placed on a raised platform , the scene was beautiful and moving . Her feet were bare and ..."

Good question, Star. Maybe something unique to their burial beliefs?

message 19: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Star wrote: "Would Jane Seymour have been buried without shoes ? I noticed in the showtime series that Jane Seymour was placed on a raised platform , the scene was beautiful and moving . Her feet were bare and ..."

That really is an interesting question Star and i tried to find out more but couldn't find anything that went into detail (for them it must have been a rather minor thing to write about). I only could find this if you're interested?
http://www.anne-boleyn.com/eng/24-oct...

http://onthetudortrail.com/Blog/2014/...

http://classroom.synonym.com/funerals...

message 20: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Christine wrote: "Johanna wrote: "True! Which Henry was your favourite? I didn't see Wolf Hall yet but i must say that the costumes look amazing! ..."

I think Damien Lewis (of Wolf Hall) is actually my favorite Hen..."

I hope so too! They didn't show it on tv in Germany so i'll have to buy it on dvd :) I saw pictures off him and he looked impressive! they did a great job with their clothing as well which is really important for me.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Johanna wrote: "I hope so too! They didn't show it on tv in Germany so i'll have to buy it on dvd :) I saw pictures off him and he looked impressive! ..."

The clothing and set were very realistic. If you see it let me know what you think! Anne Boleyn is very bratty/ petulant in this. Great entertainment.

message 22: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments Thank you Johanna for the link about Jane Seymour .

message 23: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Christine wrote: "Johanna wrote: "I hope so too! They didn't show it on tv in Germany so i'll have to buy it on dvd :) I saw pictures off him and he looked impressive! ..."

The clothing and set were very realistic...."

I was actually not a big fan of the novel and didn't like how the author portrayed Anne.. she didn't have one good thing to say about her and her character was awful.
I'm probably just not a big fan of Hilary mantel's writing style. I will let you know Christine :) did you see A hollow crown too? It looks AMAZING

message 24: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Star wrote: "Thank you Johanna for the link about Jane Seymour ."

Star wrote: "Thank you Johanna for the link about Jane Seymour ."

:) no problem Star.. thank you for pointing it out! without you i would never have picked out this detail

message 25: by Christine (last edited Oct 14, 2015 09:50PM) (new)

Christine | 34 comments Johanna wrote: "did you see A hollow crown too? It looks AMAZING ..."

No, I have not yet seen Hollow Crown, have it on my netflix list! :)

I think I mentioned, I did not read the book Wolf Hall yet -- only saw the series, but Anne was portrayed in a bad light, yes. However, it was interesting to see Cromwell in a GOOD light, he is usually the villain.

message 26: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments What is Hollow crown ?

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Hollow Crown is a mini series with Shakespeare's Henry plays.

message 28: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments Is it on Netflix?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I don't know, as I don't use their service. The first series (Richard II, Henry IV parts 1 and 2, Henry V) aired on PBS after it aired on the BBC. There's also been a DVD released.

The second series (Henry VI, parts 1, 2, & 3, Richard III) I think has not aired anywhere yet; I believe it's due on the BBC for 2016.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Yes, it is available on Netflix.

message 31: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments not for me in germany.. poor me! :( it doesn't air here too so i'm going to buy it. You should watch it on netflix soon and tell me if it's good enough to buy ! :D

message 32: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments That's true..it was a nice chance to see Cromwell as the good guy! it made me want to read a biography about him

message 33: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments Of course I will view it and let you know how it is .

message 34: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments I viewed the you tube link that you suggested (from above) about killers in Tudor times . It was good .

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Johanna wrote: "That's true..it was a nice chance to see Cromwell as the good guy! it made me want to read a biography about him"

The whole political precariousness and ambiguity really intrigues me! Good guy/ bad guy, who's to say? I have gone so back and forth with many of them -- loving, hating, rooting for, despising! I suppose that is the attraction of the Tudor period.

message 36: by Tiiu (new)

Tiiu | 24 comments I read the new 2014 biography of Thomas Cromwell by Tracy Borman
Thomas Cromwell : the untold story of Henry VIII's most faithful servant

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments How was it?

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Lahr | 2 comments Good evening! Just found this group, and am sooo excited to find a group dedicated to my favorite topic. Plus, I see next month's book is by Alison Weir, my favorite author. See you next month.

message 39: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Lahr | 2 comments Good evening. Just found this group, and am sooo excited to find a group also interested in my favorite topic. Plus, I see next month's book is by my favorite author, Alison Weir. See you next month.

message 40: by Star (new)

Star | 54 comments How was the book ? The book about Thomas Cromwell .

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara Wells Nancy wrote: "I wanted to share my post on Elizabeth Boleyn, who has always fascinated me:

This was a super interesting read! I had not really attributed much thought to Elizabeth Boleyn, but now I wish more was known about her!

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (missbelgravia) | 13 comments Nancy, I agree with Sara -- very interesting, and in three weeks, my daughter and I will be staying at a B&B just down the road from the Garden Museum. I wouldn't have thought to go there, but now it's going to be our first stop. We are descendants of the Howards, and I had no idea of the connection. Thanks so much!

message 43: by Dean (new)

Dean Hamilton | 16 comments Thought I would let everyone know, in case they are interested.

I just found out on New Year's Day, that my Elizabethan-era novel, The Jesuit Letter, made the short-list for the Historical Novel Society's 2016 Indie Award!

About 38 books were long-listed by HNS reviewers throughout 2015, then the list was narrowed to a short-list of nine, to be followed by a selection of four finalists, and then, in September, the Indie Award winner!

It is a huge honour to have made the short-list, as there are some excellent books in competition. Best of luck to everyone!

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Congrats, Dean, that is awesome!

message 45: by Dean (new)

Dean Hamilton | 16 comments Christine wrote: "Congrats, Dean, that is awesome!"

Thanks! I'm fairly excited about making the short-list!

message 46: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments Dean,

let me add my congrats - it sounds like you've got a winner there

message 47: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments I don't know if this is the place to pose a "What if" question but thought it would be interesting to ask one......What if Anne Boleyn would have lived to see Elizabeth crowned queen? While so many things would have been different obviously, what I was wondering was how would Elizabeth have been changed by the influence of her mother?

message 48: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 41 comments It's historically noted that Anne wanted to be a mother to Elizabeth and doted on her in a way that our modern sensibilities expect for a new mother. It was only protocol and Henry's impatience for another child that blocked her. While there was Kat Ashley, who I think Elizabeth loved like a mother ("hath taken great labour and pain in bringing of me up in learning and honesty..."), I wonder if having an involved mother--even more so than Catherine of Aragon was with Mary I in many ways--would have softened her or brought out other traits. Played up the vain streak, not having to know her budget/books as well, perhaps not even be as wary and careful-stepping as she was, since the Thomas Seymour scandal probably wouldn't have happened.

message 49: by Christine (last edited Apr 01, 2016 09:28PM) (new)

Christine | 34 comments That is really an interesting 'what if' question... I envision, at the last minute Henry releases Anne from the block (having found out the adultery rumors were false.) He divorces her anyway, but now Anne is free to live with and be a true mother to Elizabeth. The Thomas Seymour scandal would definitely never have happened!

Then one of two things could happen:
1) Bess is softer toward the idea of marriage and ends up marrying her true love Dudley. They have sons and change the trajectory of England's future...

OR

2) Anne's ever present ties to France influence Bess heavily, and so she ends up marrying the Duke of Anjou. England becomes a Catholic country and French relations change the trajectory of its future...

Funny all the possibilities!

message 50: by Tiiu (new)

Tiiu | 24 comments The problem was born in 1501 pretty close to past childbearing age at that time and I don't think she would have been allowed to live unless she had a son. No queen elizabeth

« previous 1