The Challenge Factory discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
♦Factory Archives♦ > {Diversity Challenge} May 2015

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabreen (new)

Sabreen | 21 comments (Haha I accidentally posted the April thread in the wrong group, sorry about that guys.)

We live in a world with a variety of people, all of them different in their own ways. This challenge is about reading works that reflect that. Here's how it works: every month, there is a new diversity-related theme. The challenge begins on the first of each month and ends on the last day.

May's theme is mental health , in honor of Mental Health Awareness Month. Read a book about mental illness or a character who is mentally ill.

Start date: May 1st, 2015
End date: May 31st, 2015

Levels
Easy: 1-2 books
Medium: 3-4 books
Hard: 5+ books

message 2: by Lulu (last edited May 26, 2015 02:49AM) (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) In!

Level: Easy
2/2

✔1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. May 17.
✔2. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.

For anyone looking for a book, I read White is for Witching during April, which is about a girl who has pica, and I highly recommend it.

message 3: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
You have 2 threads for May up, which may cause confusion for folks, as I'm already confused as to which thread to use! Could you direct me to which one to use?

message 4: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments I sent the other thread to the archives since it didn't have any posts and everything looked to be the same. If I need to move anything around just let me know =]

message 5: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Jenne wrote: "I sent the other thread to the archives since it didn't have any posts and everything looked to be the same. If I need to move anything around just let me know =]"

Thanks, Jenne!

message 6: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I will try easy.
Willow by Julia Hoban and Some Kind of Normal by Juliana Stone ? Not too sure with this one.

message 7: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 02, 2015 01:34PM) (new)

Lanelle | 14258 comments Mod
Well, the first book I read for a challenge this month had a mentally ill person. I'll take that as a sign that I should participate in this challenge.
Level - Medium.

1. Never Forgotten 5/1/15 *** Angela was abused and lied to by her father and ends up being severely psychotic and a serial killer.

2. Bubba and the Ten Little Loonies 5/10/15 *** Bubba gets trapped at the Dogley Institute for Mental Well-Being with a murderer and Sherlock Holmes, Jesus Christ, and Thelda who talks in Shakespearean insults

3. Dead Until Dark 5/16/15 *** "Rene was mad." p. 295

4. Dead to the World 5/18/15 *** "Hallow's nuts."

5. Rigged For Murder 5/20/15 *** two in this book - Will, possible borderline schizophrenia; Anna, "Brie saw the madness in [Anna's] eyes..."

6. From Dead to Worse 5/26/15 *** Mrs Quinn escaped from her asylum

7. Morning Light Paul was bipolar/manic depressive 5/29/15 ****

message 8: by Kris Mongo (last edited Jun 07, 2015 11:24PM) (new)

Kris Mongo (krismongo) Hard:5+ (Although probably Medium since I am 73 out of 89 on hold for Still Alice)

5/5 Completed 6/7/15

1. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini ***** 5/15/15
2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath **** 6/7/15
3. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides **** 5/17/15
4. White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi (Thank-you Lulu for recommendation) ***** 5/25/15
5. Still Alice by Lisa Genova
6. Boy Toy by Barry Lyga ***** 5/18/15

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

message 9: by Amy (last edited May 23, 2015 12:11PM) (new)

Amy (amy-i) {Diversity Challenge} May 2015
Easy: 1-2 books

1. Carry the Ocean
2. Rare → ★★★★★ | 5/23

message 10: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 02, 2015 12:53PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1434 comments The Challenge Factory
{Diversity Challenge} May 2015
Duration:
5/1/2015 - 5/31/2015

Progress: 1 out of 1

May's theme is mental health , in honor of Mental Health Awareness Month. Read a book about mental illness or a character who is mentally ill.

1. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson - ***** - 5/26/2015 - 503 Pages

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson

message 11: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Does the character in the book have to be the M/C? I'm reading The Leopard Stratagem (Leopard King Saga, #2) by T.A. Uner right now. It has Caligula, however he is one of the minor characters.

message 12: by Alana (new)

Alana (alockley) {Diversity Challenge} May 2015
Duration: May 1 to May 31, 2015
Level: Hard ~ 5+ books
Completed: 2/5

1. Hope to Die 5/8/15
2. An Ice Cold Grave 5/10/15

Hope to Die (Alex Cross) by James Patterson An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, #3) by Charlaine Harris

message 13: by Sabreen (new)

Sabreen | 21 comments Ora wrote: "Does the character in the book have to be the M/C? I'm reading The Leopard Stratagem (Leopard King Saga, #2) by T.A. Uner right now. It has Caligula, however he is one of the minor characters."

That should be fine, Ora!

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1434 comments Did horribly, only got 1 this month!

The Challenge Factory
{Diversity Challenge} May 2015
Duration:
5/1/2015 - 5/31/2015

Progress: 1 out of 1

1. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson - ***** - 5/26/2015 - 503 Pages

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.