Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter - (The Most "Begun but Unfinished" book ever!) lol

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I had never heard about this book until today when I came across it mentioned in a quiz at FunTrivia.com. The FunTrivia question was:
"Which metaphorical 1979 book by Douglas R. Hofstadter makes reference to three influential world figures in its title?" ANSWER: "Godel, Escher, Bach"

The full title of the book is Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid . It is commonly referred to as GEB. It won a Pulitzer Prize for general non-fiction in 1980.

I doubt if I will ever read this book but I thought it was worth a mention here. The GR review at the following link seems to have a good handle on it:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
At least it gets you started with some good explanations.

Be warned, this book is on a list called:
"The Most Begun "Read but Unfinished" (Initiated) book ever" lol

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6067 comments Funny list title Joy but I have felt that way many times.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6324 comments My oldest son is currently slogging his way through this. I took a quick look at it, but it looked too long, dense, & the subject matter only interests me in short snatches. That is a good review. Thinking about thinking...

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Apr 29, 2015 07:24PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments A few years ago I might have tried reading this book but nowadays it makes me tired just to think about thinking. :) The review was enough.

PS-I notice that the review (linked above) has 189 likes. I wonder if that's a record.

PPS-I notice that the reviewer is currently reading Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 2, The Classical Theory of Fields. Whew!