What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Historical Fiction Combination

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 140 comments I'm looking for two books that center around the same event in history... What that event may be is up to you. At least one should be historical fiction, preferably either YA or recent (or both), and the other should be either written during a different time period or written at the time of the event itself.

Any ideas for me?

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments I wouldn't necessarily classify these as YA and they're more about a person than an event; though an 'event' does kick-off in the books. It's based on Irish mythology (the Ulster Cycle to be more specific)

The Táin: From the Irish epic Táin Bó Cúailnge is a translation from Medieval texts and Hound is a more recent novelised version of the tales. The latter does have some salty language, so if age of reader is a factor then this might not be a good fit. If not, then I'd recommend it.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments So something like The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and Number the Stars (more children's than YA though) or Briar Rose (a sleeping beauty story mixed with concentration camp - excellent book but dark - it is YA though).

message 4: by Ibn_shisha (new)

Ibn_shisha | 6 comments You could also consider taking any Hist/HisFi WWII literature (not my area, so really don't know what to recommend), and then reading the 'Darkness' series by Harry Turtledove which is basically a retelling of WWII in a fantasy setting.