Contemporary YA discussion

YA Books Made into TV Shows > Books made into TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jun 03, 2015 09:54AM) (new)

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
Have you heard that The Mortal Instruments The Mortal Instrument (The Mortal Instruments #1-4) by Cassandra Clare is being made into a TV show?

[image error]

ABC Family's "Shadowhunters" is set to go into production next month, although no air date has been set.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-m...

Dominic Sherwood will play Jace.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live...

What do you think? Will you watch?

Who would you like to play Clary, Simon and the rest of the gang?

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Just judging by looks, I think he will be great as Jace.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  (alwaysopinionatedgirl) I'm so excited for the TV show, I just hope they don't mess it up. Dom Sherwood looks like a good Jace, I'm eager to see the rest of the cast.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

I know what you mean by not messing it up...fingers crossed that it's good. My choice for Clary is Skyler Samuels. She played Jess in The DUFF and Chloe King in the Nine Lives of Chloe King (which I loved and was really bummed when it was cancelled.) You can use #whoisClary on Twitter.

I have no idea who should play Simon? I can picture him, but I can't find the right actor.

If I learn anything about the show or casting I will post it here.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Look what I found...auditions. I will warn you they are not all good https://vimeo.com/search?q=Shadowhunters

message 6: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
I like TMI and I'll watch the show, but I have no idea who they should cast. Haven't thought about it. I liked Lily Collins in the movies but I prefer this Jace instead of the movie version. I don't like Jace as a character,I'm more excited to see Simom and the Lightwoods, my favorite characters

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first 4 books.
The movie didn't do so well, so I'm not sure how the show will go. I'd watch it tho to c the Special effects. Maybe HBO would have done an ace job but I guess we gotta wait and c

message 8: by Andrea (last edited Nov 30, 2015 12:41PM) (new)

ABC Family is also set to produce Recovery Road by Blake Nelson Recovery Road by Blake Nelson
it will debut in 2016.

Alexis Carra as Cynthia McDermott
Daniel Franzese as Vern
David Witts as Craig
Jessica Sula as Maddie
Kyla Pratt as Trish Collins
Sebastian De Souza as Wes Stewart
Sharon Leal as Charlotte

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/rec...

EDIT: Recovery Road will premiere Monday, Jan. 25 on ABC Family/Freeform.

message 9: by Beini (new)

Beini (beiniwu94) I hope the TV show does a lot better than the movie!

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Here's an FYI of what happens after filming a movie or TV pilot:

Fallen by Lauren Kate was filmed for the big screen and was completed in fall 2014. They even set a date for filming the second book. The original release date for Fallen was July 30, 2015 and now it’s undetermined, but I still have hope.

The Selection by Kiera Cass was optioned for movies and TV (the most popular books often are..most are never made) they made 2 pilots for the CW, but neither were picked up. I liked the selection, but it also really annoyed me. It was not like the book except for the general concept and some of the characters names were the same. So it was only very loosely based on the book. They made Maxon into a jerk, a complete playboy/womanizer/male slut, a liar and someone America couldn’t trust. He was not a good guy at all, but they gave him a younger brother and he seemed liked he could be a good guy.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was filed for Fox TV last year. It starred Emma Roberts. I thought Delirium was great, but no networks picked it up. They actually released the pilot last year on the web for 3 weeks, but it didn’t pick up any buzz.

Neither pilot is available for viewing, but for more info on Delirium click here
http://deliriumnet.com/recap-delirim-...

To read the Selection pilot script (it’s PG13 or R) click here: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/05/the-...

message 11: by Natália (new)

I think I've read it somewhere that The Selection is to be made into a movie, but I'm not sure.Is it for real?

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Natália wrote: "I think I've read it somewhere that The Selection is to be made into a movie, but I'm not sure.Is it for real?"

It's optioned for TV and Movies, but nothing is happening right now. There's no script or production company for a movie. It could still happen down the road.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Here's Simon Alberto Rosende

Here's Izzy

I think Simon is great, I'm not sure about Izzy, but her hair is perfect. If they can act it might not make a difference

What do you think?

message 14: by Natália (new)

I loved both,but especially Izzy!She looks a lot like I envisioned in my head, i think minus the eyes. I loved Jace too! So far I'm excited!

message 15: by Andrea (new)

It is the eyes and maybe that she's not really smiling. I think it might just be a bad photo.

message 16: by Hira (new)

Hira The pilot for Delirium is available here:
http://filenuke.com/f/6G49gQ0

Really wish some network would have picked it up, I've been waiting for a movie or TV series for the books! Same goes for The Selection.

message 17: by Andrea (last edited May 10, 2015 02:58PM) (new)

Look who's playing Alec Matthew Daddario (first on the left) and Luke Isaiah Mustafa. I like them both, but Luke seems to be a little young and I always pictured Alec as tall and slim and not so athletic looking, but this Alec is cute. Both are cute.

What do you think?

They start filming on May 25th hopefully we will know this summer if ABC Family decides to air it.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Katherine McNamara has been cast as Clary Fray. What do you think?

message 19: by Natália (new)

Clary was just how I imagined,but Alec is a little more athletic,I kinda prefered movie Alec, but let's see how it will turn out.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

I think looks wise, Katherine McNamara as Clary is just about perfect, but I hope they give her curly RED hair like she was written to have. She has Henry's curly red hair. So for me, her hair color is important because it links her to her "famous" ancestors and family history... Henry Branwell and his wife Charlotte Fairchild Branwell. Henry was known for developing the first portal with the help of Magnus Bane. And Charlotte was a strong female leader.

message 21: by Andrea (last edited Jun 20, 2016 09:41AM) (new)

Not a YA book, but Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty is being made into a limited series by HBO. It will star Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman. It will be written by David E. Kelley!

"Big Little Lies centers around three mothers whose children attend the same school: confident divorcée Madeline; beautiful, wealthy Celeste; and young single mom Jane. Their seemingly idyllic lives are shattered by a series of events that eventually result in a murder. Which roles Witherspoon and Kidman will be playing has not been disclosed."

I have this book, but haven't read it yet. The series sounds interesting. I love David E. Kelley and then you throw in Nicole and Reese..I'm sure I will watch it. They haven't said how many episodes will air or when.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Bitten by Kelly Armstrong Werewolves Book One Bitten, Stolen and Beginnings by Kelley Armstrong is currently airing it's second season on Syfy.

message 23: by Andrea (new)

The Magicians by Lev Grossman The Magicians (The Magicians, #1) by Lev Grossman has been given the go for 12 episodes to air on Syfy. This book is YA...but the series will not be the characters will be in graduate school.

This article has pictures of the cast http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariannareboli...

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Andrea wrote: "I think looks wise, Katherine McNamara as Clary is just about perfect, but I hope they give her curly RED hair like she was written to have. She has Henry's curly red hair. So for me, her hair colo..."

I agree about the hair. I think they will dye her hair red, but the curls are important too. But still, I somehow like Lily better Clary :D But I can't wait for the Shadowhunters.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Natália wrote: "Clary was just how I imagined,but Alec is a little more athletic,I kinda prefered movie Alec, but let's see how it will turn out."

I think Alec has been the best decision so far :D

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Emeraude Toubia seems to me to be really good choice. And I like both Matthew Daddario and Emeraude Toubia the best cast so far:D
But acting is the most important thing after all. So all we have to do is wait:D

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Cool..Katherine McNamara, a natural red head, hit the salon on Tuesday to trade in her blonde locks for Clary’s signature hair.

Shadowhunters begins filming on May 25 in Toronto and is slated for an early 2016 premiere on ABC Family.

message 28: by Natália (new)

Andrea wrote: "Not a YA book, but Big Little Lies by Liane MoriartyBig Little Lies by Liane Moriarty is being made into a limited series by HBO. It will star Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman. It will be wr..."

DEFINITELY going to watch this! There's mystery and murder and Kidman and Reese! The book it's based on it's going to my to-read list right now.

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Natália wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Not a YA book, but Big Little Lies by Liane MoriartyBig Little Lies by Liane Moriarty is being made into a limited series by HBO. It will star Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman..."

Let me know when you're going to read it and we can do a buddy read and ask other to join us as well :)

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Fairy tale retellings have become pretty popular. This one isn't exactly a book made into a movie or TV show...it was pre-planned as a prequel/companion to a made for TV... Disney Channel movie...because Disney Villians have children too.

Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz Isle of the Lost: A Descendants Prequel
Written by: Melissa De La Cruz

Twenty years ago all the evil villains were banished from the kingdom of Auradon and made to live in virtual imprisonment on the Isle of the Lost. The island is surrounded by a magical force field that keeps the villains and their descendants safely locked up and away from the mainland. Life on the island is dark and dreary. It is a dirty, decrepit place left to rot and forgotten by the world.

You can watch the movie trailer for Descendants on YouTube or the Disney link below. It's cheesy, cute and looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQLFx...
and for more info : http://movies.disney.com/descendants

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Alan Van Sprang as Valentine Morgenstern. I'm not sure about this one, but I think it will work. I've seen him on a couple of episodes of Reign and he's a good at playing bad.

message 32: by Andrea (new)

The High Warlock of Brooklyn has been cast… Harry Shum Jr., from Glee, will play Magnus Bane. I think he'll be great.

What do you think?

message 33: by Natália (new)

I loooved Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus and I think that Alan van Sprang will be a good Valentine too, he was awesome in Reign as the King of France! I'm getting more and more excited for this series!

message 34: by Andrea (new)

Maxim Roy has been cast as Clary’s mother in ABC Family’s Shadowhunters. From this picture, I definitely think she looks like a protective mother with an attitude. Sounds like she will be an active Shadowhunter in the series. I wonder if she'll be kidnapped?

“On the surface, Jocelyn leads a normal life running an antiquities store. We will learn, however, that she harbors many secrets about a past life; particularly her ties to an ancient group of supernatural beings known as Shadowhunters. In order to defend Clary from danger, Jocelyn transforms from single mom back into one of the most lethal Shadowhunters that ever lived.”

What do you think? I have high hopes so far, but I wonder how much they will stray from the books and if it will be good or bad. I know True Blood and The Vampire Diaries are nothing like the books, but they are/were very successful series.

message 35: by Andrea (new)

I live in MN so it's crazy for me to say I can't wait for Jan.
Here's some info on the executive producer McG: he's worked on a ton of popular projects and he's best known for his work on Supernatural (2005), Chuck (2007) and The O.C. (2003).

Here's an image from the "set"

Why did @McGsWonderland put a camera crane in this pond and what lurks beneath the surface? #ShadowhuntersTV

message 36: by Erica (new)

Erica D`souza (erica_97) I have almost finished Paper Towns by John Green. Have you watched the trailer yet?

What do you think? It's gonna be as good as the book or better or (hope not) worse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGiH...

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Thanks for sharing. I've seen it... it looks great. I love the cast. We'll be discussing it in July (the month the movie is released) for our books into movies monthly group discussion.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is our June books into movies group discussion. That one looks great as well. If you haven't seen it... I posted the trailer here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 38: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne Erica wrote: "I have almost finished Paper Towns by John Green. Have you watched the trailer yet?

What do you think? It's gonna be as good as the book or better or (hope not) worse?

https://www.youtube.com/w..."

The school scenes were filmed at my daughter's high school. She was thrilled to be able to watch some of the filming.

message 39: by Natália (new)

I wanted to read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl for a while, so the movie is the perfect excuse for me to finally pick it up! Loved the trailer, btw!

message 40: by Andrea (new)

Shadowhunters the holy trinity, Clary, Jace and Simon. They look fabulous together. I just read they will be filming into Oct. I'm not sure how many episodes that translates to, but I'm guessing 10.

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Shadowhunters new cast member. Jon Cor Cast as Hodge Starkweather. He's really cute, but he looks a little young to have been in Valentine's circle.

message 42: by Natália (new)

Loved the holy trinity together, they look so good! I have the same reservations with Hodge's casting, he looks too young (but so good looking, haha). But, idk, maybe it's just the picture and he'll look older or act older on screen. Let's wait and see.

message 43: by Andrea (new)

Our first look at Shadowhunters on TV...this is exciting....
Two clips from Shadowhunters will be airing TONIGHT on ABC Family. They will air during commercial breaks for Pretty Little Liars and Stitchers TONIGHT! Cassandra Clare said on Twitter than "one is cool and one is cute."

If you miss it (I probably will..dang it) I bet it will pop up on YouTube and I will post if does.

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Shadowhunters short teaser aka we get to hear Clary's voice and see some of the cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrrMt...

message 45: by Madison (new)

Madison N. | 28 comments im so EXCITED

message 46: by Madison (new)

Madison N. | 28 comments although i imagined Hodge to be like 60 though

message 47: by Andrea (new)

I know, he is supposed to be around the same age as Valentine , Joycelyn and those in the circle. They aged him for the movie for some reason and I liked it. And although Jon still looks too young for even that, he's so hunky I don't care. If he can act, I might even want them to deviate from the book and keep him alive.

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily  (prettylikeapoem) | 9 comments Madison wrote: "im so EXCITED"

I really thought Hodge was older in the book too so the movie didn't really phase me. I thought he was good for it, even though I didn't like how they portrayed him in the film and how they directed him, I thought his look was good though. I don't think I will be able to think of him younger now, and especially as good looking as the actor is for him. Personally I think he'd make a better Jace, but I've never seen the actor for Jace in anything before.

message 49: by Andrea (new)

Vampire Raphael Santiago has been cast as a recurring guest star. He looks almost exactly how I pictured him, only I pictured him thinner not frail but not tons of muscles either just skinnier in the face and body. Casting is doing a great job just based on looks.
What do you think?

message 50: by Andrea (new)

A scene from Shadowhunters pilot

« previous 1 3