All the Books! discussion

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography
This topic is about Neil Patrick Harris
Archive - Past Group Reads > Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 3879 comments Mod
Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris

Tired of memoirs that only tell you what really happened?

Sick of deeply personal accounts written in the first person? Seeking an exciting, interactive read that puts the “u” back in “aUtobiography”? Then look no further than Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography! In this revolutionary, Joycean experiment in light celebrity narrative, actor/personality/carbon-based life-form Neil Patrick Harris lets you, the reader, live his life. You will be born in New Mexico. You will get your big break at an acting camp. You will get into a bizarre confrontation outside a nightclub with actor Scott Caan. Even better, at each critical juncture of your life, you will choose how to proceed. You will decide whether to try out for Doogie Howser, M.D. You will decide whether to spend years struggling with your sexuality. You will decide what kind of caviar you want to eat on board Elton John’s yacht.

Choose correctly and you’ll find fame, fortune, and true love. Choose incorrectly and you’ll find misery, heartbreak, and a hideous death by piranhas. All this, plus magic tricks, cocktail recipes, embarrassing pictures from your time as a child actor, and even a closing song. Yes, if you buy one book this year, congratulations on being above the American average, but make that book Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography!

Start Date: May 1st, 2015

Brie | 568 comments So I'll be on vaca in Canada all next week and may or may not get some reading in PLUS I'm still #8 on 3 copies of The Red Queen so I thought I'd get a bit ahead in my May reading. I love NPH, he is genuinely funny and his autobiography does not disappoint and is HILARIOUS!! I haven't finished it but I LOL on every story, seriously. It's even more funny when I picture him telling me the story! This was such a good suggestion!

Brandy | 2535 comments I haven't started yet but now I am more excited to get into this book. Doogie has come a long way. Plus it is different from all the other books we have read.

message 4: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 3879 comments Mod
Started this book yesterday and already I'm at 88%. I can't put it down.

I got the audiobook version. I think it would be a lot of fun if I got the real book, but he narrates it specifically for the audio book so he made it fun that way.

I think how lighthearted and fun the book is. A lot different than what we've listened to in the past. I'm glad we chose this one.

Brandy | 2535 comments Sara would you say the audio version is good or should I get the ebook instead? I don't think you can really go wrong with NPH

message 6: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (last edited May 01, 2015 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 3879 comments Mod
Honestly I really liked the audio version. NPH narrates his own book and he does a really great job at it.

He changes the audio version around because we can't flip to different pages, but he reads all of it and there are other audios he adds from the past.

Brie | 568 comments (view spoiler)

message 8: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 3879 comments Mod
Brie wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Omg Brie (view spoiler)

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Sara wrote: "Honestly I really liked the audio version. NPH narrates his own book and he does a really great job at it.

He changes the audio version around because we can't flip to different pages, but he read..."

I just bought it but haven't started it yet. Looking forward to it though

message 10: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie | 568 comments Sara wrote: "Brie wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Omg Brie [spoilers removed]"

So good Sara! The things actors can do!

Brandy | 2535 comments Starting this today! Going with audio to listen to NPH do the reading.

Brandy | 2535 comments Done, I did the same thing that Brie and Sara, it was pretty cool. What a fun book. Glad we did this one. The only thing I didn't like was he jumps from decade to decade so I never know how old he is or when the story is taking place.
I loved the audio, NPH does such a great job.

message 13: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 3879 comments Mod
I'm glad you liked it Brandy! I thought it was a good change to what we've been listening to!

message 14: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie | 568 comments I agree, such a funny way to tell your life story!

Erika | 23 comments This was sooooo good!