All the Books! discussion

Archive - Past Group Reads > Red Queen, by Victoria Aveyard

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (last edited Apr 29, 2015 09:49AM) (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Start Date: May 1st, 2015

message 2: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
I just want to say, this was a great book. I can't wait to talk about it with you all!

message 3: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments did you do audio or read it? I am just wondering how's the narration?

message 4: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
I did the Audio version and I liked it.

message 5: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 138 comments I'm at chapter 17 and really loving it! Still don't know who I can trust though!

message 6: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I just started this and only up to chapter 3, but it feels like hunger games-ish up to here. Anyone else sense that?

message 7: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Brandy wrote: "I just started this and only up to chapter 3, but it feels like hunger games-ish up to here. Anyone else sense that?"

I felt that in the beginning too, but it later changes.

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 138 comments I felt it was a bit Hunger Games ish too but it does definitely change.

I'm finished and (view spoiler)

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments Ill start this probably tomorrow :)

message 10: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "I felt it was a bit Hunger Games ish too but it does definitely change.

I'm finished and [spoilers removed]"

Yes! (view spoiler)

message 11: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I am a about 1/2 done, pretty good so far. Sucks that we have to wait for the next book.

message 12: by Nicola (last edited May 12, 2015 02:01PM) (new)

Nicola | 138 comments Sara wrote:

Yes! [spoilers removed]"

I know! (view spoiler)

message 13: by Brie (new)

Brie | 569 comments I'm still waiting on this one but am excited by what everyone's experiences have been!

message 14: by Brandy (last edited May 12, 2015 03:57PM) (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Nicola wrote: "Sara wrote:

Yes! [spoilers removed]"

I know! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Oh yeah I'm all done.

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 138 comments Brandy wrote:

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Nicola wrote: "Brandy wrote:

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I did do the "please be wrong, please be wrong" chant. Do we know when book 2 will be released?

message 17: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (last edited May 13, 2015 09:29AM) (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Not until next year some time - apparently she's making #2, #3, and #0.5.

The prequel comes out in September Queen Song

message 18: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments So it looks like we have something to read for September? but a whole year to see what happens next?! then most likely another year for book 3! Oh man

message 19: by Nicola (last edited Jun 19, 2015 08:26AM) (new)

Nicola | 138 comments The title for book #2 was announced today: Glass Sword

& there's a synopsis too!

message 20: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Yay!!!

message 21: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Feb 9th is so far away!!!! Damn you for introducing me to this book!!!! (I am shaking my fist at whoever suggested the book. And I think it was Sara)

message 22: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Brandy wrote: "Feb 9th is so far away!!!! Damn you for introducing me to this book!!!! (I am shaking my fist at whoever suggested the book. And I think it was Sara)"

hahahaha but it was so good :)

message 23: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 138 comments The cover for Glass sword was released today:

Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

I really like it! It looks even nicer in real life too (there's a photo online here: https://instagram.com/p/41nQnfoK0z/)

message 24: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
I love the cover!!

message 25: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments It's a good cover

message 26: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
So the second book comes out in February. I think I'm going to re-read this one just because it's been awhile. Does anyone want to join me?

message 27: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments When are you reading? I could be interested

message 28: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Probably within the next few weeks. I own it now so I can read it whenever. I know we have the #0.1-0.2 scheduled for Feb and book #2 scheduled for March so I don't wanna start too early.

message 29: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Maybe read the prequels and then re-read red Queen?

message 30: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

message 31: by Brie (new)

Brie | 569 comments I agree!

message 32: by Simply Nice (new)

Simply Nice (snreads) | 1 comments I love this book so much. It is so different in a way I can't pinpoint how. I can't wait for the sequel. it is so good for a first book.

message 33: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Cruel Crown (Red Queen, #0.1-#0.2) by Victoria Aveyard

Prequel in the Red Queen Series

Two women on either side of the Silver-Red divide tell the stories no one else knows.

Discover the truth of Norta's bloody past in these two revealing prequels to #1 New York Times bestseller Red Queen.

Also includes an exclusive excerpt of the hotly anticipated second book in the Red Queen series! Glass Sword transports readers to the world of Silver tyranny, a Red dawn rising, and one girl's resolve to break down the system that will hold her back no longer.

Queen Song
Queen Coriane, first wife of King Tiberias, keeps a secret diary—how else can she ensure that no one at the palace will use her thoughts against her? Coriane recounts her heady courtship with the crown prince, the birth of a new prince, Cal, and the potentially deadly challenges that lay ahead for her in royal life.

Steel Scars
Diana Farley was raised to be strong, but being tasked with planting the seeds of rebellion in Norta is a tougher job than expected. As she travels the land recruiting black market traders, smugglers, and extremists for her first attempt at an attack on the capital, she stumbles upon a connection that may prove to be the key to the entire operation—Mare Barrow.

Start Date: February 1st, 2016

message 34: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I really liked the first story, but the 2nd is falling flat for me. Maybe it will pick up.

message 35: by Brie (new)

Brie | 569 comments I agree with Brandy. I finished this last night and I did enjoy the different points of view and I think re reading Red Queen post prequel will make those points of view even better, but the second story drug on for a while.

message 36: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
I have the audio version. I think I'll start on my way in to work tomorrow.

message 37: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Just started yesterday!

message 38: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Ok I just finished. (the last 2 hours of the book are book 2 in the series. I didn't want to jump into that just yet.)
really like story 1. Had a hard time focusing on story 2.

message 39: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Okay.. You guys are absolutely right. This second novella?? Terrible. I'm having a hard time finishing it.

message 40: by Brie (new)

Brie | 569 comments Sara wrote: "Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea!"

I just noticed I am 1 person away from getting Glass Sword, there were 6 last I checked! So I checked to see how quickly I could get Red Queen.. 8 peeps. SO I guess I am out for the Red Queen re-read :(

message 41: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Brie wrote: "Sara wrote: "Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea!"

I just noticed I am 1 person away from getting Glass Sword, there were 6 last I checked! So I checked to see how quickly I could get Red Queen...."

Dag nabbit! Dumb library

message 42: by Brie (new)

Brie | 569 comments Brandy wrote: "Brie wrote: "Sara wrote: "Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea!"

I just noticed I am 1 person away from getting Glass Sword, there were 6 last I checked! So I checked to see how quickly I could g..."

I know! It's feast or famine, I swear!

message 43: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Brie wrote: "Brandy wrote: "Brie wrote: "Sara wrote: "Oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea!"

I just noticed I am 1 person away from getting Glass Sword, there were 6 last I checked! So I checked to see how qu..."

Boo! I hate when that happens!

message 44: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I just started Red Queen re-read so that I can be caught up for the next book.

message 45: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
I still need to do that too!

message 46: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I wanted to hurry and get it done because it has been so long since I read it I couldn't remember what happened. I feel like I would be lost if I started book 2 right now.

message 47: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I finished Red Queen and I couldn't stand to wait until tomorrow so I started Glass Sword yesterday.
It was too big of a cliff hanger to not start right away. And I feel like it was a really good idea to have re-read RQ or I think I would have been a little lost, this one pick right up where book 1 left off.

message 48: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:42AM) (new)

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.

Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.

But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat.

Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?

Start Date: March 1st, 2016

message 49: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Ok I don't hate this book but I don't think it is nearly as good as Red Queen. It is starting to feel like a "filler" book. Though it is interesting (view spoiler)
I do like the nickname "the Rabbit" ha ha

message 50: by Brie (new)

Brie | 569 comments I agree. I really enjoyed RQ. This one has a lot of action but like Brandy said, it's a bit fill-ery. (view spoiler)

« previous 1