Summer 2015 Reading Club discussion

Currently Reading?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Moehlmann | 11 comments Mod
Anyone reading anything great right now?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (hopesm80) | 1 comments Just started All the Light We Cannot See--I've been hearing really good things about it but haven't been able to get into it yet (I'm about 25 pages in). Anyone else read it yet? Does it get better?

message 3: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Moehlmann | 11 comments Mod
I am reading A Week in Winter. Here is the summary from Goodreads: Stoneybridge is a small town on the west coast of Ireland where all the families know one another. When Chicky Starr decides to take an old, decaying mansion set high on the cliffs overlooking the windswept Atlantic Ocean and turn it into a restful place for a holiday by the sea, everyone thinks she is crazy. Helped by Rigger (a bad boy turned good who is handy around the house) and Orla, her niece (a whiz at business), Chicky is finally ready to welcome the first guests to Stone House’s big warm kitchen, log fires, and understated elegant bedrooms. John, the American movie star, thinks he has arrived incognito; Winnie and Lillian are forced into taking a holiday together; Nicola and Henry, husband and wife, have been shaken by seeing too much death practicing medicine; Anders hates his father’s business, but has a real talent for music; Miss Nell Howe, a retired schoolteacher, criticizes everything and leaves a day early, much to everyone’s relief; the Walls are disappointed to have won this second-prize holiday in a contest where first prize was Paris; and Freda, the librarian, is afraid of her own psychic visions.

message 4: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 3 comments Sarah- All the Light We Cannot See gets better!! I promise! I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and I loved it!! I'm currently reading Last One Home by Debbie Macomber. It's a light read about sisters.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments I am almost done with an autobiography that Karen lent me, "Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina" by
Misty Copeland. I am normally not a big (auto)biography fan, but it's really good! My scope of the ballet world is limited to Rosie's little ballet school, but she truly is an unlikely ballerina. The fact that she even found herself in a ballet class given her family life, socioeconomics/demographics, lack of exposure to fine arts, etc is amazing in and of itself. Discovering that she was truly born to be a ballerina is miraculous. She is a remarkable woman! I would recommend this book even if the dance world is completely foreign to you.

message 6: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Green | 5 comments Totally slow on responding but I'm reading The Light Between the Oceans. So far, it's really good. But, I'm bad about picking it up enough!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments I just started "Hugo and Rose" by Bridget Foley, and I just finished "The Face on the Milk Carton" by Caroline B. Cooney. "The Face..." was decent. I read that because a lot of the 5th graders said that I must. ;) "H & R" is nicely written, and I really like it so far. My goal is to also read most of the Mark Twain's for next year. Next up for me is "Rump", by Liesl Shurtliff.

message 8: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Green | 5 comments Ok, so since my iPad is with the Technology department, I bought a book that is so good so far..."What Alice Forgot" I highly recommend it!!! It's hard for me to put down at night. The author tells the story from the perspectives of both Alice and her sister, Elisabeth. It's really funny, but at the same time, sad and serious. If I finish this before my iPad is back, I am going to pick up "The Girl on the Train"...it's supposed to be really good!

message 9: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 3 comments You'll like The Girl on the Train! It was good! I just finished The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes. I really liked it.

message 10: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Green | 5 comments Actually, that's a book I have on my amazon.com wishlist (along with like 50 other books!)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I've read two books already this summer! I have not had time for that in years! It feels amazing to find this hidden love again. Signing up for this might be dangerous with all the good book recommendations.