What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA illustrated book with TONS of literary references

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Laughlin (scleccentric) | 2 comments Hello, I am trying to find the name of a book I read as a child back in the 90's.
It was a picture book with complicated Where's Waldo type illustrations. Each page showed a landscape with characters from adult literature. There were lists on each page for which titles you could find. The titles were things like The Picture of Dorian Grey, Treasure Island, War of the Worlds, etc. Classic literary books. Each book had a small illustration somewhere on the page.
I remember one page was a giant graveyard.
Can anyone remember the title or author of the book I'm talking about? It was not Where's Waldo, or I Spy, but it was a search-and-find type book.
Thanks for your help.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
This sounds really cool -- I'd love to see it, too!

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam Laughlin (scleccentric) | 2 comments Yeah, it was cool. And now that I've read more books, I'll get more of the literary inside jokes. That's my real motivation, I just want to know how many more I'll be able to see now that I'm older.

I have more specific info, maybe it'll jog someone's memory.

I am looking for a children's book I read in the 90's. It may have been written earlier.

It was a search and find book with large illustrated pages with mass scenes depicting characters from literature. Based on what the character was doing in the picture, you guess what book the character comes from. There were characters from treasure island digging up treasure in one side of the illustration.

Each page had a theme, like adventure, romance, horror. All the books depicted were listed along the side. Most were visual puns, like a person killing a mockingbird.

Books I remember were depicted: portrait of dorian grey, treasure island, war of the worlds, frankenstein, moby dick, time machine, etc.

The book was designed to introduce kids to literature. The illustrations were a bunch of inside jokes from different books. I had a large hardcover copy. There were maybe around 30 pages. I'm not sure on the pages.

Hope someone remembers this book. This is killing me for some reason.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35176 comments Mod
This reminds me of The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base, and a simpler version might be
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet Ahlberg.

You might be interested in this Listopia - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Sam, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Sam, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.