Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

Glam Archives | 2015 > May 2015: I Am That Girl

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
Ready, set, discuss!

For you type awesomes already turning May's pages. :)

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 5 comments I'm only on chapter one, but I'm already feeling very inspired & taking notes!

message 3: by Remika (new)

Remika Mortimer | 1 comments I just joined up and super excited to read this book :D it is sitting on my night stand - hoping to dive into it this weekend :)

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Guay | 1 comments I just joined, I am so excited! I love everything about books, I am going to start reading and hopefully get caught up

message 5: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 1 comments Hi All! I am also a new joiner of the group. Really looking forward to connecting with you all :)

message 6: by Natasha (new)

Natasha  (bookdiva401) So far I'm liking it, just wrapping up chapter 1. I already feel inspired!

message 7: by J. (new)

J. | 1 comments I purchased this book from Goodwill recently. Glad to see that this is the book of the month. I am eager to read it even more now!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Bruner I just finished the first chapter and I already have a page of great quotes. I love how she expressed the difference between managing time and spending time. That changed how I am going to focus my week and my planner.

message 9: by Camille (new)

Camille Hopefully I'll get this book soon. I'm excited to read this book with you ladies.

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Nachreiner | 1 comments "Please don't spend your days finding the least disruptive way to go through life." Love this!!

message 11: by Rebekka (new)

Rebekka Walker | 1 comments I tried to start reading it last night BUT while watching Masterchef.... Rebekka 0 Masterchef 1 This weekend, I am getting stuck into it!

message 12: by Tomeka (new)

Tomeka Johnson | 1 comments There are so many great quotes in this book. I'm trying not to highlight the whole book! I'm still in chapter 1 but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who feels like there is something more out there for me. I've never been happy at any job...probably because it's not my passion

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Hoskin | 4 comments I am loving this book. There are soooo many inspiring quotes so far. :)

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda I feel the same way. It's really resonating with me and giving me lots to think about.

message 15: by Shantel (new)

Shantel Lazrovich (shantelnichole) | 2 comments so far this months read... my thoughts inspiring its like a bff encouraging you everyday throughout every day and life situations!! loving it amazing pick lisa marie .
last year i attended beauty con in la and
i am that girl organization was their as well as sophia bush!! was amazing to hear and meet them and now to read the whole story very blessed!!!

message 16: by Steph (new)

Steph I don't think I've ever flagged so many pages in a book! Hah. I'm definitely going to go back through it once I'm done reading & type up all these wonderful quotes! Alexis is truly inspiring.

message 17: by Shantel (new)

Shantel Lazrovich (shantelnichole) | 2 comments i have highlighters though out !! great inspiring read!

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments Just joined this group, looking forward to some good reads. Playing catch up with this months book...at least it's a short read

message 19: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Brooks | 1 comments Just join this group and so glad I did when I did. I'm playing catch up with an amazing read! This book is soooo inspiring! Xoxo can't wait to connect with you all!

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cjeanette) | 4 comments I just finished the book! I feel like I need to go back again and take notes.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Robles | 12 comments I have rented I guess you could say this book from the library and I am so sad I have to return it. It is an amazing inspiring book and I am happy to be a part of this book club because if I was not I would not have learned about this book. It is so inspiring and everything she is saying is so true about life and just getting yourself out there and I am loving the fact that she is talking about faith as well and how having faith is important to go that last ten percent. It is true we have to do most of the work but than you have to take that leap of faith and I love she used Indiana Jones as an analogy. Love it. I will be done with this book by end of week. :) Happy reading fellow book clubers. :)

message 22: by Mamey (new)

Mamey (mameysmedley) | 4 comments This book is sooooo good! I am loving it!!

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (drkt) | 8 comments I feel like I am be the only person that didn't absolutely love this book. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book and I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, but it just felt like a bunch of cliches to me.

I feel a little bad speaking poorly about a book whose whole premise is to be nice to others and not talk badly; however, there was nothing novel in this book that hasn't already been expounded upon in countless other motivational books for high school and college students. The writing was simplistic and the exercises juvenile. While I have to commend Alexis Jones for getting to where she is through all her hard work (she has accomplished a lot!), her responses in the mock scenarios were laughable and manipulative. However, for girls who don't have strong women role models (my mom is awesome, as are so many women I know) and have never heard these truths, I can see why this would be an excellent resource.

Maybe I'm not the target audience (but seeing as I'm still a young professional, I feel like I should be) or maybe it's that I've been blessed to have already gotten all the advice and motivational points she tries to make, leading me to pursue a wonderfully rewarding career I'm passionate about on a daily basis. Either way, it's an easy read and would be a great gift for new grads (High school or college).

I vacillated between giving this 2-3 stars on this and the only reason I gave it 3 is because clearly we as women have been failing the younger generation. These truths should be given to young women from the older women in their lives, but if that is not happening, this is a great resource to hear what they need to hear

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2 comments I really feel bad but I did not enjoy this book. I was a bit bored throughout. Also, I don't see where there was any humor throughout the book. With all of that said... I would however, recommend the book to someone in college or just starting out in the working world- absolutely!

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I gave the book 4/5 stars. I did enjoy most of it, but yes there were a few cliches that made me knock off a star. I loved reading about the stories of the different women and learning about their successes and failures. Some of them were really eye opening to me. I liked the chapter about learning to say no, being bold, and finding a mentor. I never thought of doing something like that before, and I believe it's worth a shot. Also, I wish she did talk more about the sense of community she created, but she only left that for the last 10 pages.

message 26: by Samirah (new)

Samirah Khair | 1 comments Awwwww :(, I just joined, but I'm definately going to read this. I hear so many good things about it-and its on so many "Must Read" lists. Cant wait to dive back into my book obsession.

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 5 comments I was really excited when I first picked up this book. I got to the end of chapter 3 and although it was very inspiring, I got kinda bored with it. I think it is because it gives advice that I've heard before almost like a lot of cliches. It is not something that I can really dive into and read for hours at a time and I find that I like to read it when I need a little "pick-me up". What I did really like was the advice on how to say no, and how to love yourself and to put yourself first. I think this would be a great read for teens, and I like it as a light read for here and there. Overall, I like it but I'm not crazy about it, it does offer some good advice, and can be a refresher for when times are tough. I will definitely finish the book sooner or later. For now I will give it 3 out of 5

message 28: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Wermann | 1 comments I was excited to read this book as well, however I felt like I could relate to it more if I was a single girl in my early twenties. I learned a lot of good strategies for things that did relate to me, but about 80% of it was not realistic for my lifestyle (married with a child). It wasn't that the book didn't have inspiring lessons and I did enjoy reading the real-life stories, it was more that I could not apply most of these methods to my life and therefore I wasn't as excited about reading it. In fact, I didn't even finish it. It fulfilled one of my two requirements for a great read, I would recommend it to my friends who are single and in the beginning stages of their careers, but it did not keep me compelled enough to keep turning the page and therefore I will give it a 2.5 out of 5.